Broken Reel Foot - Okuma Convector CV55W

Started by ijlal, January 25, 2012, 12:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

Hi Alan and all!

Hope you are doing good.

I sold a new Okuma Convector CV55W about 3 weeks back. The customer, after fishing with it just two times, brought it to me saying the steel reel foot broke apart while fighting a 20# fish. He also showed a deep scratch mark on the Aluminum reel seat of the rod at the place where the foot broke. The reel was supposedly clamped down as well. How this could happen on a reel tightly fit on the reel seat beats me. It is not the same as the graphite frame breaking apart. Kindly see the attached pics and advise what might have caused the breakage.

Thanks,
Ijlal

I live 'fishing'!

ijlal

I live 'fishing'!

Alto Mare

I might be wrong, but from your pix  that part appears to be some type of cast aluminum alloy. That part should be made out of stainless steel, but I can't really tell.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ijlal

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 25, 2012, 12:32:09 PM
I might be wrong, but from your pix  that part appears to be some type of cast aluminum alloy. That part should be made out of stainless steel, but I can't really tell.

Alto,

I can confirm it is steel or some ferrous alloy due to its magnetic properties.

Thanks!
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

wallacewt

in the 1st 2 photos the right side of the broken reel foot looks a lot thicker than the left side.is that rust?old or new rust?if the reel foot was mounted on top of the reel seat instead of in it and the clamp was tightened ???if you could get the owner to guamtanamo bay for a friendly little fish,just replace it and add 1/2 on the next 2 you sell.gd luck

Irish Jigger

The iron oxide would indicate the seat was cracked prior to  salt water ingression.  You would need to examine the aluminium reel fitting on the rod to see how the reel seat was loaded/overloaded when the rod clamp was fully tightened.
Looks very like Chinese stainless steel. ;)

Jimmer

The reel clamp must have stressed the metal on the foot. If this was a new CV55W with the plastic hold plate the hold plate would have blown out at the AR dog pin, then the new smaller sized AR roller bearing on the handle shaft would have failed on a good fish, long before the reel seat broke, IMHO. - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

ijlal

Quote from: Jimmer on January 25, 2012, 05:11:08 PM
The reel clamp must have stressed the metal on the foot. If this was a new CV55W with the plastic hold plate the hold plate would have blown out at the AR dog pin, then the new smaller sized AR roller bearing on the handle shaft would have failed on a good fish, long before the reel seat broke, IMHO. - Jimmer

No, it's probably the older version as it has an Aluminum hold plate. Everything else except the reel foot is intact and in perfect order.

Thanks!
I live 'fishing'!

Squirmypug

Sometimes steel has defects in it, looks like a crack opened up because of something in the steel and then just broke.  :(
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

ijlal

I live 'fishing'!

Tile

The breakage is the result of metal fatigue coupled with a defect in the metal. You should search for a new foot, unrivet the old one and bolt the new one in its place (this requires drilling out the rivets).
In solid fiberglass we trust

alantani

it's a warranty item, but that might be tough in pakistan.....  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ijlal

I took the frame to a machine shop, got the rivets removed, had the foot welded and have refitted with screws and nuts. Let's see how it holds  :-[

Thank you all for your inputs! Really appreciate it.  ;D
I live 'fishing'!

Tile

Post some pics of the repaired reel foot.
In solid fiberglass we trust

ijlal

Hey Tile,

I am afraid the pics are not too good. I should have taken pics before assembling the reel. The weld itself is not a very fine job but seems strong enough to hold, will have to wait and see how it performs out at sea.

I live 'fishing'!