Penn 309 missing level winder worm

Started by Riy2018, December 28, 2021, 01:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riy2018

Good Morning Gurus,
found on market place from guys who buy storage lots.
Penn 309 black color, but it doesn't look vintage.
please assist me to find correct part name.

Thank you
Happy New Year!

Wompus Cat

It looks like this assembly is missing and the Cover

https://www.mysticparts.com/46-309C-Assembly-Line-Guide-Assembly-4-pcs-P21093.aspx

And this Shield

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/50-209.aspx

AND MAYBE (can't tell from the Stretched out image ) this Bar

https://www.mysticparts.com/58-209-Post-Slotted-Post-P2347.aspx

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Riy2018

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 28, 2021, 02:50:15 PM
Kinda like looking in Bizzaro World >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.....................
But it looks like this assembly is missing and the Cover

https://www.mysticparts.com/46-309C-Assembly-Line-Guide-Assembly-4-pcs-P21093.aspx

And this Shield

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/50-209.aspx

AND MAYBE (can't tell from the Stretched out image ) this Bar

https://www.mysticparts.com/58-209-Post-Slotted-Post-P2347.aspx
Missing line liner and cap .

oc1

Someone just upgraded it for you.  They work much better without those parts.

Wompus Cat

Much Better pix you put up .So here is a link to a schematic with part numbers you can get them all from Mystic in the links above .

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/penn-309-special-purpose-levelwind-reel-parts-c-186082_186083_186211.html

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on December 28, 2021, 07:37:57 PM
Someone just upgraded it for you.  They work much better without those parts.

I like level wind.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Riy2018

Reel is large. We'll made. Simple maintenance.  I checked with the parts store. All together comes $25.
Maybe I should get old one from ebay instead. 🤔

foakes

The likely problem with getting a used one on eBay — the LW parts are the first to wear out on these. 

So, if you spend $20 - $30 for a used reel + shipping — where will you be if one of the 11 parts in the LW system is also worn out?

These reels are tools — and from time to time, a tool needs maintenance and to be refreshed.

It isn't the worth of a reel that determines its value — it is what that reel will do effectively — both for your angling enjoyment and the ability to land nice fish competently.

Best bet might be to just fix it with the proper parts, IMO.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Riy2018

Thank you for recommendations!. I always listen and follow posts.
Thank you.

Gfish

Steve(oc1) is probably right, especially when you consider the too frequent issues with levelwind mechanisms. Also, it would cast much better without levelwind friction. But the 309 is a large framed reel with relatively small spool. Maybe not that frame-torque-proof if you put serious pressure on it.
A reel like the Long Beach 60 or a Senator 1/0, could work better as a non-levelwind substitute or back-up. I'd go ahead and rebuild the 309 with all the original parts.
Ya just gotta pay more attention to controlling the line lay on a 60 or 1/0 if you switched.

I have a used LB 60 that someone gave me and I rebuilt it. P M me if you're interested.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Yet another Penn, that's a levelwinder, the 210, is comparable in size to the 309, but has 4:1 gears and ball bearings instead of bushings for the spool. On mine, it doesn't look like the frame is any more sturdy than that of the 309 and I prefer bushings over ball bearings(maintenance and replacement cost issues), but that 4:1 gearing is noticeably better.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Quote from: Riy2018 on December 28, 2021, 09:28:17 PM
Reel is large. We'll made. Simple maintenance.  I checked with the parts store. All together comes $25.

The next one will probably have the same problem.  The levelwind is always the first thing to go on the Peerless.  Sometmes you can buy a bunch of parts and it still won't work.  The spools and bearings on the old peerless are very forgiving.  They are so forgiving that they can handle a tiny bit of torque or misalignment in the frame .  Like Gfish says, those post frames are not the most robust thing either.  However, the levelwind cannot handle any torque or misalignment.  The wire guide will start to rub on the post and/or the carriage will start to rub on the worm.

The 309 is a classic because so many were sold.  They were popular because you could get a fairly large reel with levelwind for not much money.  The 309 is rated for 15 pounds of drag.  Cranking against 15 pounds of drag with a big drum or ray will get it all twisted out of shape.  

Donnyboat

Yes dont get carried away, you can play a large fish with 8 Lbs of drag, with out damaging your reel, personally I would rather use a 309 with out the line level, but if you want to place it with your collection, then you might want to spend the money on it, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Riy2018 on December 28, 2021, 09:28:17 PM
Reel is large. We'll made. Simple maintenance.  I checked with the parts store. All together comes $25.

What ever you decide you have the schematic and part numbers now and KNOW what is missing to get you back to form .
A lot of folks DO Remove the parts you need for whatever Reasons and from time to time the whole she bang is listed on E-bay for 10 or 15 bux and maybe a Member here has what you need they Removed from theirs ?
Fast Way is to Order ALL NEW PARTS form sources I listed above and be done with it or just use it like it is to catch Fish and go on down the Stream ......lol

Riy2018

Quote from: Donnyboat on December 29, 2021, 07:34:44 AM
Yes dont get carried away, you can play a large fish with 8 Lbs of drag, with out damaging your reel, personally I would rather use a 309 with out the line level, but if you want to place it with your collection, then you might want to spend the money on it, good luck cheers Don.

Agree!. it will cast better w/o line level.
I will wait and check all my other Penn reels. Every winter I do cleaning and lubricating for used gear.
I believe need more part for other Penn reels. Then I will make an order.
Thank you very much for recommendations.

Happy New Year to all!.
Stay safe and healthy.

P.S. on Ebay I found some 309 Blacks and some Red/Brown with old Penn handles. Some called 309 some 309M.
is there a difference.