No more SLOSH reels from DAIWA

Started by reddrum55, January 08, 2022, 11:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddrum55

Can it be true after all these years? The SL_SH reels have been dropped from the online product catalog.

thorhammer

Porthos

May not be on Daiwa.us, but there's a few online sellers that appear to still have some stock...get 'em while you still can.

Cor

I was told this 15 years ago by Daiwa in London.  My guess is that those reels did not satisfy Daiwa's profit objectives but consumer pressure kept them going till now.

For me those were the best reels ever made for what I did.   Strong, durable fairly priced & never an issue with spares....but that was then.   I could get home at 19h00 in the evening, completely service the reel, respool and get going again at 05h30 in the morning.   Handles did not last, and the Clutch spring broke and one piece would fall on the gears and jam the reel for the rest of the day, but that was considered as acceptable for the amount of work these trusty workhorses did.

I used only those reels exclusively from 1992 until 2012 when I bought  2 new and different reels.

SLOSH will be sorely missed
⚰️ RIP ⚰️
Cornelis

El Pescador

That's IT THEY'RE GONE!!!!!   NO SLOSH listed, read below.     SHA Reels ONLY!!!!

https://daiwa.us/collections/saltwater-conventional-reels

I'd get to eBay and buy what you need/want before this fact is well known.

Use the power of information to serve you.

Knowledge is Power!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

SoCalAngler

Didn't they stop making the SL-SH reels many years ago and replaced them with the Sealine-X line?

thorhammer

I though there was overlap- in any case: I primarily use Penn's surf fishing, but I have teo 20SHSV's that are sweet- bought them on close out $50 NIB years ago. Still pristine. I have a 30 Sl SH that my cousin reeled up on a pier that was a reef- but actually got it restored with two new bearings, drag washer and a handle off Alan's garage floor.

Question is, I see that price point, more-or-less, (154 bucks) with a reel called a Seagate in it- anyone used these and have an opinion? Not that I need any kind of reel of any sort at this point, but it would be nice to know if there is a surf player proced under the Saltist. I think i do still see SHA 's in stores, but no idea if they are active sku's.

Thusly, I see guys on the sand with shiny new Akios, Fathoms, Sieglers, Saltiga's, etc, and they get out-thrown by my old 525 Mag and 970 / 980's...To me the SLOSH were great reels at $119 and sling really well. My 0.02.

John

jurelometer

The HSA and Seagate are pretty close to the old SLOSH reels.

There is a ton of overlap with the SHAs and the Seagates.  Same sizes, capacities, materials, very similar designs.  The Seagates have the gear box angled forward, which some folks prefer.  The Seagate adds a one way bearing  ( a negative IMHO), and  comes with carbon fiber drag washers.  My older SHA had to be upgraded with aftermarket carbon fiber washers, don't know if that is still the case.  Both have an internal centrifugal brake.

I believe that the  Seagate has a single shaft, but the SHA has a separate shaft for the pinion.

I fished both the upgraded drag SHA and Seagate 50 back and forth for about three weeks straight on Cedros yellowtail, and did not notice any differences in casting or drag performance.  I did think that the Seagate was kinda bling-ugly.  I kept the plain-ugly SHA, but mostly because it did not have a one way bearing.

Haven't played with the Saltist or Saltiga.   I  don't have any interest in aluminum frames for the way that I use these type of reels. And even more ball bearings is not always a benefit :).  More drag washers is probably a minor plus.   No shortage of choices between slightly different reels...

Seagates and Sealine-X SHA reels are still listed on the Daiwa USA website.  MSRP within 10 bucks of each other.  Strange.

-J

reddrum55

Bought an sl20sh in 1989 to replace my 170H as a much lighter 8 & bait surf reel. Didn't realize how well it would cast until I found this forum. Gave it the Tani treatment. It's a pretty much bullet proof back up for my Penn Fathom 15SD.

Donnyboat

My mate had a seagate Hyper 6000, the cast broke in the gearing, they replaced it, but the new one done the same thing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jurelometer

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 15, 2022, 04:14:23 PM
My mate had a seagate Hyper 6000, the cast broke in the gearing, they replaced it, but the new one done the same thing, cheers Don.

Looks like that is a spinner. 

Interesting.  I couldn't find a Seagate spinner on the Daiwa USA website. 

Here in the USA, the discontinued SL*SH, Sealine-X SHA and Seagate are all (only) saltwater casting reels. 

-J

MarkT

Forget those SLSH and just get a Penn Squall... better reels! I preferred the Penn GS reels over the sloshes and TLD stars 30 years ago.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Quote from: reddrum55 on January 15, 2022, 02:21:45 PM
Bought an sl20sh in 1989 to replace my 170H as a much lighter 8 & bait surf reel. Didn't realize how well it would cast until I found this forum. Gave it the Tani treatment. It's a pretty much bullet proof back up for my Penn Fathom 15SD.

You fishing OBX?

reddrum55

Yes, Buxton. I keep a camper at Cape Woods Campground. Was in Rodanthe also since 1986

thorhammer

Sweet. I was just in Buxton last week of October. My buddy got a 43".