I'm going to build a surf reel. I'd like the advice of everyone!

Started by Breadfan, January 25, 2022, 03:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadfan

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on January 26, 2022, 05:03:40 AM
That website is dangerous.
I've been mostly surf casting over here and love my 6500C3CT but I too need a project.

Nick

It is. It's like Abus on steroids.

Breadfan

Quote from: oc1 on January 26, 2022, 07:24:03 AM
That Rocket cage is pretty nice.  For an ABU floor plan to boot.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. Today!

beachbob

Rocket Reel is THE way to go if yer into bling and a DIY build.  No doubt a stronger build with a one piece cage, but there are other parts required and the final cost will mount with shipping across the pond.  

However for us Yanks, an Akios Shuttle from Ninja Tackle (free shipping, no tax) will be a ready-to-go solid unit at less cost with no sacrifice to quality, and purchased here in the US of A.

It will come down to dollar$ ... and the pressing need to "roll yer own".

$289.99 ...

Y'all might be better off putting yer dollar$ into a rod build ... without a stellar rod, a killer reel is near useless for long distance casting.

revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Breadfan

Quote from: beachbob on January 26, 2022, 11:24:46 AM
Rocket Reel is THE way to go if yer into bling and a DIY build.  No doubt a stronger build with a one piece cage, but there are other parts required and the final cost will mount with shipping across the pond.  

However for us Yanks, an Akios Shuttle from Ninja Tackle (free shipping, no tax) will be a ready-to-go solid unit at less cost with no sacrifice to quality, and purchased here in the US of A.

$289.99 ...

Y'all might be better off putting yer dollar$ into a rod build ... without a stellar rod, a killer reel is near useless for long distance casting.

I have two Tommy Farmer Cast PRO Series blanks that I am working on now. I think that will be a good start. I also bought a couple of reels last year from over there and I buy all of my darts/supplies from England and shipping has always been about as cheap as it is over here, maybe a tad more. I've come to find that the UK has a little more to offer on conventional reels than they do here and just about all of the tackle shops are willing to ship over here. Of course this all depends on the Dollar/Pound, sometimes it's not so good. I remember when you could only get Akios form across the pond, so I guess we are moving in the right direction.

beachbob

Quote from: Breadfan on January 26, 2022, 12:08:08 PM
Quote from: beachbob on January 26, 2022, 11:24:46 AM

$289.99 ...

I have two Tommy Farmer Cast PRO Series blanks that I am working on now. I think that will be a good start. I also bought a couple of reels last year from over there and I buy all of my darts/supplies from England and shipping has always been about as cheap as it is over here, maybe a tad more. I've come to find that the UK has a little more to offer on conventional reels than they do here and just about all of the tackle shops are willing to ship over here. Of course this all depends on the Dollar/Pound, sometimes it's not so good. I remember when you could only get Akios form across the pond, so I guess we are moving in the right direction.

Yes, the UK is totally into revolvers and they have all the specialty goodies that are hard or impossible to find over the pond.  Bummer.
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Breadfan

The 6500 skeleton reel with the spindle (cage color black, sideplates in turquoise) the spool and the ceramic bearings have been ordered from The Rocket Reel Company. Shipping, tracked with signature was only 22.00. The short term plan is to use one of my brake plates, handle, and star from one of my abu's as a donor reel. Long term plans are to get a 6.3:1 stainless main gear, a bronze pinion, and a handle and star from Simon Shimomura to top it off. Look him up, he makes a number of different size handles for the Abu's, Flat or dimpled chrome, in a multitude of knob colors. Very nice well made handles.

nelz

Sounds like a Penn Torque 100 checks all the boxes except one... it's already built::)  Alot of pompano guys use them. Those reels are tanks too, and could actually land that shark if it doesn't bite through the line.

thorhammer

What I've found when I build stuff like that it is I'd cry if I dropped it in the suds. Bought a MIB 6500C3CT for OBX. It's on the shelf and I throw my 525Mag  lol

Breadfan

Quote from: nelz on January 26, 2022, 03:08:58 PM
Sounds like a Penn Torque 100 checks all the boxes except one... it's already built::)  Alot of pompano guys use them. Those reels are tanks too, and could actually land that shark if it doesn't bite through the line.

If I ever see one at a good price and the funds are there, its also on my long list of collectables. A very nice reel!

Breadfan

Quote from: thorhammer on January 26, 2022, 03:13:33 PM
What I've found when I build stuff like that it is I'd cry if I dropped it in the suds. Bought a MIB 6500C3CT for OBX. It's on the shelf and I throw my 525Mag  lol

I had friend turn his back on one of his outfits on the beach, when he turned back around, it was gone. I shudder at the thought of losing a nice reel and rod to a big ray, or a big red.

thorhammer

Yep- lent a buddy a 9500SS and he was using a crappy PVC rod holder. Skate. Drag. On my bench for full dissassembly. I had checked out the Rocket stuff a couple months back before I got the CT; had always wanted one but most are ragged out by now. It was in the UK in any case. Still going to build a reel to match the 13' 8nBait I'm building tho. It'll be full electric blue.

farmer56

thanks for heads up on surfshop web. site ... it's fun to dream ...  look at all the penn reels blinged  up hear ...  like i said before i like your style ..  for where i fish in Minnesota  casting  i like the 5000-5500 size abu. reels . now i am using a   7 foot  1/2 - 1 1/2  oz. fiberglass  lamiglas blank built by Larry Evans  with a penn fathom star 12  reel ...  love that reel .... so long story short i want to bling up an abu. reel also ... my son just called me and the century stealth 10'2" surf rod showed up at his work place ,  first surf rod ever  for me .  will see rod in about two weeks .

oc1

The thing abou the Torque is it's lever drag. I think star drag reels have an advantage in distance casting.

A sand spike and lawn chair doesn't work for me.  Better to stay on the move and keep working the bait over the guts and bars.  When you find a particularly promising spot or hook up then stick with it for a while.

beachbob

Quote from: oc1 on January 26, 2022, 07:50:28 PM
The thing abou the Torque is it's lever drag. I think star drag reels have an advantage in distance casting.

A sand spike and lawn chair doesn't work for me.  Better to stay on the move and keep working the bait over the guts and bars.  When you find a particularly promising spot or hook up then stick with it for a while.

+1  for both the star drag and hunting down the fishies.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are