I'm going to build a surf reel. I'd like the advice of everyone!

Started by Breadfan, January 25, 2022, 03:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Very nice work! How do you like the St Croix? I have a 13' Geeker in process, light blue Heaver...thats what I'm looking to build the reel for.

Cor

Nothing that improves an already good caster's distance and reliability then adding a well made adjustable mag.   I use 3 similar reels, two have braid and fixed mags and one mono and adjustable mag.   The two with braid give me a distance of 70 mt and the one with the mono and adjustable mag 110 mt.

I like the term "fluff" which I presume refers to 3 of 4 loose coils of mono on the spool when casting.  When you got that you are maximising your cast on a conventional!

Just a question, what is the retrieve rate in inches per handle turn of the  6.3:1 ratio gear?

Personally I would be reluctant to use such a great looking and expensive reel on a actual beach fishing trip.   Our reels get very scratched and damaged from the rough terrain we fish in.

Enjoy your reel!!
Cornelis

Breadfan

Quote from: thorhammer on February 10, 2022, 06:53:52 PM
Very nice work! How do you like the St Croix? I have a 13' Geeker in process, light blue Heaver...thats what I'm looking to build the reel for.

Thank you, Thorhammer. I absolutely love the St,Croix/RodGeeks. I bought the SRF110MM2 which is the more moderate action with some S-glass in the tip. It does load easy and I wouldn't call it a distance rod but the fact that it loads so easy makes it a breeze to cast. I've been eyeing that one you are building. St Croix aka RodGeeks make some fine blanks. And the colors. Love the color choices. I'm pushing that 11ft when someone wants an easy casting rod that they can put minimal effort into. When we get old, or we have back problems, these paraboloic-moderate rods are the rod to go to for your everyday, smaller fish out of the surf. Keep us posted on your progress on that rod! I have another 13ft MHX rod I just built that I will try out with the new reel, I will let you know how it goes!

Breadfan

Quote from: Cor on February 10, 2022, 07:13:20 PM
Nothing that improves an already good caster's distance and reliability then adding a well made adjustable mag.   I use 3 similar reels, two have braid and fixed mags and one mono and adjustable mag.   The two with braid give me a distance of 70 mt and the one with the mono and adjustable mag 110 mt.

I like the term "fluff" which I presume refers to 3 of 4 loose coils of mono on the spool when casting.  When you got that you are maximising your cast on a conventional!

Just a question, what is the retrieve rate in inches per handle turn of the  6.3:1 ratio gear?

Personally I would be reluctant to use such a great looking and expensive reel on a actual beach fishing trip.   Our reels get very scratched and damaged from the rough terrain we fish in.

Enjoy your reel!!

Yes, the mags really help, and the fluff is where its at!
I will measure the retrieve tonight and get back to you.
As for throwing it in the surf cart and banging it around, I'm with you on that. I think it will be good for trips to the beach when I am just throwing plugs and only taking one rod and not bringing the surf cart, Just a back pack. It's light and it will be the ideal setup to get beyond the 2nd bar.

thorhammer

Quote from: Breadfan on February 10, 2022, 07:29:16 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on February 10, 2022, 06:53:52 PM

Thank you, Thorhammer. I absolutely love the St,Croix/RodGeeks. I bought the SRF110MM2 which is the more moderate action with some S-glass in the tip. It does load easy and I wouldn't call it a distance rod but the fact that it loads so easy makes it a breeze to cast. I've been eyeing that one you are building. St Croix aka RodGeeks make some fine blanks. And the colors. Love the color choices. I'm pushing that 11ft when someone wants an easy casting rod that they can put minimal effort into. When we get old, or we have back problems, these paraboloic-moderate rods are the rod to go to for your everyday, smaller fish out of the surf. Keep us posted on your progress on that rod! I have another 13ft MHX rod I just built that I will try out with the new reel, I will let you know how it goes!

I've been eyeing that blank- thats what I was gonna build out an Abu for....I have two rods to complete for a buddy that are overdue, then I'll get back on the Heaver, which will likely fish a 980, although I've something else up my sleeve as well.

Breadfan

I measured about 29 inches.

Cor

Quote from: Breadfan on February 10, 2022, 10:23:25 PM

ouch, that very slow in my book and the reason why nobody here uses those Abu's  or (clones) down here.    I bought one many years ago, did manage to catch a few yellowtail from a boat but now use it for squid only.
40" per handle turn is the minimum I look for.
Cornelis

Breadfan

Quote from: Cor on February 11, 2022, 07:31:55 AM
Quote from: Breadfan on February 10, 2022, 10:23:25 PM

ouch, that very slow in my book and the reason why nobody here uses those Abu's  or (clones) down here.    I bought one many years ago, did manage to catch a few yellowtail from a boat but now use it for squid only.
40" per handle turn is the minimum I look for.

I get that. I use this size reel mainly for pompano and whiting which to me is just an oversized panfish, and most are around 2 -3 pounds. I just wanted a little faster retrieve rate than what the 5.3:1 gears were giving me. Fishing 3-4 rods at a time equals a lot of reeling in and a lot of casting.

Breadfan

Update on the reel and the 6.3:1 gears. I've been to the beach with this reel a couple/3 times and so far it has performed flawlessly. A few have said this reel is to expensive to get beat up at the beach but after using this reel, I did have apprehension at first. But this reel was meant to be fished and that's what I am going to do with it! It begs to be fished. Once the first scratch, all newness will subside! I've landed quite a few fish with it and I've had a chance to fight (seriously) a 6 pound Jack Crevalle and 10LB sting ray. I've heard of some stripping gears from the high ratio but I don't pull and reel at the same time, I pull up and reel down. Isn't that the way to do it anyways? I see no problems with gearing if the fish is fought correctly. Anyways, the jack was really fun, taking short runs on my 17LB line. I do leave my drag on the light side, I feel I loose less pompano when they decide to head north or south as I get them to the edge so I am sure that helps. The drag is your friend and a frisky fish is quicker to get off than a tired one. The stingray just pulled, a lot. But no problems. I think I have more of a problem with bigger fish because I use medium power rods so I can't really horse them in as if I was using a MH or heavy action rod. But they are by-catch and I wasn't intending on catching them. I'm very happy so far with this reel. I do have one small problem and I will address that in another thread. All is good over here on the east coast. The pompano fishing is just starting to heat up and its time to fill the freezer. I've never had a smoother casting reel than this one. Everything is just smooth.