New Makaira Upgrades

Started by Fullaphish, January 30, 2012, 02:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullaphish

Hey Alan i just saw some stuff on Bloodydecks about some Makaira upgrades and it sounds like you may have custom ordered these improvements.  Hmmmmmm ? Wanna weigh in on this?  In any case it sounds like Okuma is listening and I for one just wanna say thanks. ;D

alantani

this will cost them a small fortune!  they must plan on investing a HUGE amount of money into this market.  it's going to be tough for other manufacturers to keep up.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Can you post a link?  I cannot seem to find it.   Thanks.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/san-diego-range-fishing/390722-okuma-news.html

Quote from: wahoodad;2555785NEW "SE" REEL FEATURES
• Open spool bearings with TSI-301 oil. Increases
freespool 2-1/2 times.
• All non-spool bearings feature full grease pack for
maximum longevity.
• Features Special Edition Gun Smoke
and Black anodizing.
• SE reels will feature a Yellow fin tuna etched into
the side plate.
• Frames have been machined out for increased
clearance between spool and cross bars.
• MK-8/10/15 will feature MK-20 size handle knobs.
• MK-20/30 features the MK-50 handle arm
and knobs
• New lower speed 1.3:1 gear ratio featured in
20/30 sizes.
• The following upgrades for earlier MK reels can
be provided by the factory as follows:
-- MK-8/10/15: Replace bearings with TSI-301 oil
and larger 20-sized T-bar handle knob: $29.99
-- MK-20/30: Replace bearings with TSI-301 oil,
lower 1.3:1 gear ratio and 50-sized
handle: $59.99
-- The above costs include parts and installation,
shipping charges are additional.

MODEL SPECTRA YDS/LB. TEST MSRP
MK8-IISEa 400/40 $479.99
MK10-IISEa 460/50 $479.99
MK15-IISEa 600/100 $499.99
MK20-IISEa 750/100 $559.99
MK30-IISEa 600/130 $579.99

Shhhhh, top secret:D

alantani

Quote from: Fullaphish on January 30, 2012, 02:52:22 AM
  Hey Alan i just saw some stuff on Bloodydecks about some Makaira upgrades and it sounds like you may have custom ordered these improvements.  Hmmmmmm ? Wanna weigh in on this?  In any case it sounds like Okuma is listening and I for one just wanna say thanks. ;D

sorry, the answer is yes. 

jim nomura gets the lion's share of the credit for this.  tsi 301 and 321 were both brought in by jim. i never would have figured it out in a million years.  we had a 6 month detour with xtreme reel +.  that went nowhere. 

another jim is the service tech at the local grady dealership, central valley marine.  he was the one that suggested yamaha marine grease 15 years ago. 

and the rest of the credit goes to you guys for letting me practice on your fishing reels for all of these years!   ;D

JGB

Communicated with the Product development for North America and let them know how pleased we are with this SE roll out. It is basically every thing Alan and Myself have been supporting Okuma to Make their reels top performers with highest reliability. If you get a new SE at the Fred Hall show (yes they are planned to be available for sale at the show) they will not need to be serviced by Alan or Myself.

Kits for upgrades will become available around the middle of March.
The upgrades are a real bargain and are less than the parts needed to perform the upgrade.
Example:
$60 for the SE20/30 upgrade
Mak 50 handle and Knob $59
Spool bearings   $15 x 2
Gear set and shift pin assembly Who knows.
Labor to perform the upgrade.

Some details:
You are not allowed to perform the upgrade your self as this will void your warranty.
Upgrades and spool bearing service is only authorized to be performed by: OKUMA repair, Cal Sheets, Alan Tani or Jim Nomura

We recommend that you have Okuma service perform the upgrades as it is the least expensive path.
(Alan and myself are not a authorized Okuma warranty service center and are not paid for these services by Okuma)
If you really need a reel service and upgrade from Alan or Myself you can order the kit from OKUMA and have it drop shipped to us.

The difference between the OKUMA Service and Alan's or Jim's is we go through the whole reel and also pack the right side plate bearing (Okuma has not indicated that the 100% packed right side plate bearing is included in the upgrade). There is no charge for labor from Okuma while Alan or myself must charge for a service. (Alan correct this if needed)

I will be upgrading my Mak 20's. My Mak 10's already have the equivalent of the upgrade.
Any Makiara 10/15 reels service by Alan or Myself in the past already have the upgrade service and only need a new handle knob.
Any Makiara 20/30 will still need the upgrade kit installed.

Jim N.

alantani

no one from okuma as asked me to work on these for them.  and honestly, i would not want to.  if someone can do as good a job as us, i say let 'em at it.  i'd rather go fishing!   ;D

alantani

shhhhh....   guys, let's let jim do all of these.  i wanna go fish!   ;D

JGB

Ok Alan be nice :D Just trying to offer a path for those that place great value in what we do. I really do not expect a lot of customers sending in their Makairas to you or myself for an upgrade only. The nice part is customers will not need to send us their Makairas for free spool service. They can either buy a SE or get their free spool service with the upgrade package. We have been obsoleted  :o

Jim N.

Rare

i's great that these guys are making a great reel even better! Kudos!

sinkerswim

Wow! Sure looks like the Okuma folks are taking the full subscription to the Alan Tani method. Looks like you are owed some engineering fees Alan. One manufacturer down hundred or so to go. In the future these are the features ALL reels will or, at the very least, should have. We can consider ourselves fortunate for having been a part of this cutting edge technology, by simply being members of this web-site. We are light years ahead of the also ran crowd. Thank You Alan! Finally; a manufacturer who agrees, you have been right all along.

Nessie Hunter

BIG Thanks to Alan & Jim for all they have done to the Reel Industry as a whole...

I know Alan has been vocal and posts what he finds & Recommends. 
That has caused Manufacturers to Take notice and upgraded many, many reels over the years!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

x2 on the previous posts.
Thanks Alan, Jim etc - this is what it's all about.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Jimmer

Maybe they should have called this the TNE ( Tani/Nomura edition) instead of just special edition.... glad to see people are listening.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

mackereljoe

Only if the other big name reel company would have listened to Alan.... not only way too many company men are able to say no to his new ideas; they will defend it to no end.  They refused to change even when it has to and remained tied to it (dry drag).  Okuma seems to aim much higher than the competition.  Unless other reels are significantly discounted, i'm going for makaira next purchase.