Grease? Shell Retinax HD2...

Started by Fish-aholic, February 01, 2012, 01:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish-aholic

Hi guys!

I was just wondering what your thoughts are of the above titled grease from the information supplied in the attached link?

Basically, I've been recommended this grease by another forum member on a different forum. He also services fishing reels and he does know what he's talking about. Still, I thought I'd ask you guys/proffesionals your opinion?

Also worth mentioning, the fella who advised me on the Shell HD2 product claims sailors use it on their cranking mechanisms etc. I suppose if there was ever a harsh enviroment for a product to be tested, the open shore in combination with mother nature would be it (doesn't wash off or dry out)  :o

The Shell Retinax HD2 grease is blue in colour and quite tacky - stringy to the touch I am lead to believe, but before I purchase said grease, I was wondering if anyone could shed any further light for me from the information supplied... (sorry, I don't know how to place link into a word)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:pG2YpWSkvEYJ:www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_SA_TDS_Retinax_HD.pdf+shell+retinax+hd2&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShVLe0XAkEkbGLBErBt3hz_74HcRWCMardsWH76Hp_bO7Sr2DnTM5W1EQNtGpZDEpMDdyLz30buVMUIpg6iN3wIBfoTVE1sZGJAjUb9MtZvmFTYBUcEH-kG9tmgGVLuSOKHsKGY&sig=AHIEtbQ0UWf3sxzm1EKmZY5ls9aqaUMbJg

I would like to use the HD2 grease in the same manner as you use Yamalube marine grease. Unfortunately for me being based in the UK, there's not one single outlet supplying Yamalube marine. The only Yamaha product available here is the Yamalube Water Resistant Lical. I understand that is not the grease best suited for continued use in saltwater applications.

From a personal point of view, I have been using Peen reel grease on my friends and my own reels, though what I have found is, when it comes into contact with saltwater, the Penn grease looks/seems dried out. I'm not happy/comfortable with that so I'm trying to source something better. Also worth mentioning the price - at around $10 per 2oz tub of Penn grease, I can spend a few extra dollars on a 14oz cartridge of the Shell product which will last me quite a few years. Well, being a hobbiest and any customers I have are friends, the Shell cartridge will probably last me at least a decade, lol!  :D

As a side note - I've learnt so much from all the participating members/professionals who frequent here - I now understand the true value of reel care due to your commitment in supplying such available information. I personally call the service - the 3T's: The Tani Touch. Then again, what's a forum without it's contributors so you all deserve any accolades thrown at you, too. I hope all of you got a baseball mitt hidden in your garages that is large enough to catch it? that's if you can find it, if your garages are anything like Alan's shown in his pictures :o Just thought, I'd share my public appreciation while posting this topic :P

Fish-aholic

Bryan Young

I really don't know.  it depends on their additives.  I would probably look for a marine grease, even Mercury, Evinrude, etc, and not the wheel bearing stuff.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

x2 on Bryan's advice - avoid wheel bearing grease.
Lithium-based products don't have a good track record in these applications.
Best stick to known winners.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Fish-aholic

Thanks for the replies  ;)

There is one source for the evinrude marine grease, costing $31 for a 14oz cartridge. The shipping costs more than the product and I'm based on the same mainland as the company (UK).

I cannot source any Mercury product or any other marine grease that is blue in colour.

Can I ask, why does lical based grease have poor form when used in reels for servicing? I'm not a chemist  :D

redsetta

G'day,
Wiser heads may choose to step in, but there's been some discourse here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2205.0
Jim Nomura also said the following (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1018.0):
Quote(Compounds such as lithium) are not typically used in very high tolerance bearings as the particles interfere with the rolling action of the balls. These particles are much thicker than thin-film lubricants.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

If you cannot get marine grease, like Yamaha or Evinrude, I would recommend CorrosionX grease.  So far, so good on the reels that I have work on.  About twice the price of Yamaha though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fish-aholic

Thanks again for the added information and suggestion!  ;)