Does Anyone Have Replacement End Guides For Old Garcia Conolon Rods?

Started by Walleye Guy, March 22, 2022, 12:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleye Guy

Does anyone out there have a stash of replacement end guides for old Garcia Conolon rods?

I created this post to inquire about repairing two Garcia Conolon rods that I own.  One is a casting rod and the other is a spinning rod.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34699.0

I received great instructions in that post on how to repair and replace the guides but now I thought I'd see if I can acquire replacement guides before removing the old ones.

Does anyone out there have these that they'd be willing to sell to me?

If I could be picky, I'd love to get replacements that are as close as possible to the originals but I've never replaced guides before so I don't know if that's possible since they are older rods.  I just love the chrome, especially on the casting rod (first picture)...it's a beautiful rod.  I can add the rod model numbers if that would help.  Thanks in advance!

Swami805

Take the tips off and measure the inside diameter of the tube. I might have some but need the size. Those are also available online and don't cost much
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Like Sheridan says you need the tube diameter. Can also measure the top of the rod if you lack the means of measuring inside of tube.

I dont see any value in directly matching the original hardware, I'd want the best performing tip in budget personally. But to each their own. Plenty of polished tips out there to be had.

Just an FYI on something that was NOT obvious to me the first time I ordered a tip: ring sizes are listed in millimeters. Tube sizes are listed by 64ths of an inch. So a size 6-6 guide has a 6mm ring and a 6/64" tube. Doesnt make a damn bit of sense. If I find the person to write angry letters to I'll pass the contact info along, til then I'll just try to remember it as I buy tips.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 22, 2022, 01:39:58 PMI dont see any value in directly matching the original hardware, I'd want the best performing tip in budget personally. But to each their own. Plenty of polished tips out there to be had.

Some of us are purists at heart, especially when it comes to vintage equipment.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Walleye Guy

I'll get the guides removed in the next day or so, get measurements with my calipers and report back.

Tom, I can probably put myself in the purist bucket with you.  If I can't get original style guides then I might end up using something like what Keta posted but hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll end up with originals or very close to original.

Jason, thanks for the tip on how to measure.  I had the same "this makes no sense" reaction about the H speed rating for tires.  Whoever decided to put it between U and V should also get an angry letter.

I'll be in touch...

Walleye Guy

I removed the end guides and took measurements.  Dumb question from someone who has never done this before: when measuring the tube size in 1/64ths, is standard practice to measure the OD of the rod tip or the ID of the guide?  I assume there is a little clearance built in (i.e. the tube of the guide is slightly oversized).  Plus there is probably still a little bit of goo on the rod tip which would throw off the measurement.

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

You can gently scrape or sand any residual glue off the tip but do it carefully. The tip-top should easily slip over the rod tip, there should be a tiny bit of play so there is room for the glue. Once you get the new tip-top to fit nicely and decide to install it put a couple of slivers of glue into the hole in the guide (tip-top), heat the tip-top to melt the glue and slide it gently all the way onto the rod. You can visualize that place when you're getting it ready. Clean any glue off that squeezes out. If a little goober hardens it can be scraped or whittled off gently with a sharp knife or razor blade.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Walleye Guy

Thanks Tom.  Another dumb question: am I after the ring/insert ID or OD?

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Walleye Guy

I really appreciate all the help so far.  Like I said, this is uncharted territory for me.  I attached a picture of the guides: the casting rod tip-top is on the left and the spinning tip-top is on the right.

I'm probably going overboard with the measuring, but here are the measurements:

Casting Rod:
The tip diameter is .172" - .174" which equates to 11.07 64ths. 
The tip shoulder is .681" long. 
The plastic insert ID is .254" - .258" which equates to 6.50 mm. 
The plastic insert OD is .481" which equates to 12.22 mm
Conclusion: I need a 12/11 tip-top (12mm & 11/64)

Spinning rod:
The tip diameter is .0915" - .0930" which equates to 5.90 64ths.   
The tip shoulder is .621" long.
The ring and insert are both missing but the distance between the "arms" (where the ring used to reside) is .295" which equates to 7.49 mm
Conclusion: I need a 7.5/6 (7.5mm & 6/64)

Does this make sense to the experts?

Does anyone out there have any old NOS tip-tops they'd be willing to sell?

As always, thank-you in advance!

DougK

haunting ebay is probably the best bet..
I find for example Fuji Vintage Chrome PHT which looks exactly like the casting rod tip, unfortunately not in the right size.

Had the same problem trying to replace some light wire guides on an Abu casting rod, never did find a match. I went with some Mudhole guides that look vaguely similar, a bit sad but at least the rod is fishable again.

Donnyboat

Hi Douge, you can make them guides out of stainless steel spring wire or SS leed wire.
    getting back to the tip, make sure the tip you buy, is good for braid line, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Walleye Guy

Quick update: I emailed the Ebay seller from the link that Doug posted.  He is currently checking his inventory and is supposed to get back to me.  I'll report back...