my first SX is so noisy

Started by Dazza-K, February 01, 2012, 06:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazza-K

OK , I'm in Australia so I don't get to play with many avets and I've just brought my first sx single speed, when you crank the handle quickly it makes a horrible grinding noise in side , like the gears are rubbing on something , I've spooled it up and its the same, underload the noise goes but when under no load it sounds cheap..any help would be great...Darren

redsetta

G'day and welcome Darren,
First place to check is the main right-side bearing (that mates to the pinion gear).
If the drag is overloaded even slightly, this'll be the first thing to go.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dazza-K

bearings are good, I think its just the gears rattling when its not under load

Dazza-K

Does someone( Alan ) have the pinion bearing size for a new model SX single speed Avet ? And I'll buy some replacements from smoooth drag....Darren

alantani

the first thing to go bad is always the pinion bearing, aka right main side plate bearing.  your description is classic.  you should be able to measure out the bearing and order one locally.  which reminds me, i need a clip board to start keeping track of these bearing sizes...... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coastalobsession

Service the bearings. I dont care who manufactures the reel; if i go buy a new or used reel the first thing I do is clean it the way I like it or how my customers like it. Good Luck
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Dazza-K

For anybody that needs the bearing sizes for avet reels then click on the model on this link and it even lists every bearing size supplied for the reel, just found this after reading about Boca bearings. This is my first small Avet I run 5 EXW 50/2 for tuna off southern Australia and love the reels, I always fully service every new reel before it hits the water and Alan your rebuild instructions have been brilliant..well done...I've ordered a full set of boca bearing for the SX and let you all know how its goes..thanks everybody for your input..Dazza
http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-applications/fishing-reel-bearings-by-model/avet

wallacewt

hi dazza
just read where the tuna have returned to SA.in largest numbers for a long time.the pros got 1/2 their quota for the year in their 1st fishing session!not sure what type.would they be blues?cheers

Dazza-K

yep the run of Southern blue fin tuna will start on the victorian coast line some time towards the end of March, theres a whale research boat studying blue whales out of Portland ( victoria) and they have seen schools already. Killer whales have shown up already of Port Macdonnel in South Australia so the tuna are coming.

Dazza-K

Quote from: Dazza-K on February 02, 2012, 10:55:01 AM
For anybody that needs the bearing sizes for avet reels then click on the model on this link and it even lists every bearing size supplied for the reel, just found this after reading about Boca bearings. This is my first small Avet I run 5 EXW 50/2 for tuna off southern Australia and love the reels, I always fully service every new reel before it hits the water and Alan your rebuild instructions have been brilliant..well done...I've ordered a full set of boca bearing for the SX and let you all know how its goes..thanks everybody for your input..Dazza
http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-applications/fishing-reel-bearings-by-model/avet

I also contacted Dawn at smooooth drag and she is posting me 2 pinion bearings for spares also..Dawn is excellent to deal with.

Dazza-K

Ok, noisy SX, I put a full set of boca bearing in and it still makes noise, on closer inspection when taken apart if you turn the handle the pinion gear grind's on about 1/4 of the main gear... any suggestions? the main gear l doesn't look as if its off center or moving off line

Bryan Young

Could you post pics?  It seems odd.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

I'll bet it was fished with the pinion gear seated incorrectly in the drag plate. If it was you'll need to replace both the pinion and main gears.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Dazza-K

This reel is new out of the box, hasn't been fished with yet, I did notice that the gears are straight cut on my SX and on the new MXJ  they are cut on an angle. I'm thinking of buying another SX new and swapping some parts around to solve the problem, then I'll know exactly what parts I need to buy to fix the problem.....I can always sell the other reel off later .

Dazza-K

Quote from: akfish on February 09, 2012, 03:14:05 PM
I'll bet it was fished with the pinion gear seated incorrectly in the drag plate. If it was you'll need to replace both the pinion and main gears.

Ill take your advise and change those over first when I get the another SX, I'll let you know the out come...thanks