Blackfish Special

Started by Surfrat, April 15, 2022, 09:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfrat

Took the 250 out again for some Blackfishing. This time I hooked a monster that really gave a fight! It took a nice run towards the wreck and I could feel my reel needs more upgrades. I was cleaning the reel and remember I wanted to add a 2nd dog. I'm thinking by adding a 2nd dog will make this as an even better blackfish (tautog) wreck reel -- strong enough to turn a fish heading for cover, so stainless gear sleeve, beefed-up drag, and double-dogged. I cannot locate a 98-60 SS gear sleeve for my reel. I have 5+1 beefed-up drags and dremel disks coming. I provided Swami805 an address so I am hoping it got mailed. I can't wait to add the 2nd dog before the end of the Spring Blackfish season - April 30.

Gfish

"And I could feel needs more upgrades"😜. Sounds like me. How many times?...I can't even remember.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Surfrat

;D I assembled Swami805's(Thank you!) parts. I am missing a 501 spool. I have been trying to win a few bids on fleabay to get a whole reel or parts but got outbid at the last minute.  :P

MACflyer

Did you add the 98-60 stainless gear sleeve? I did a similar build with a Surfmaster 250 and after two fishing trips, the gear sleeve stuck to the 13-99 bridge post. I have a separate post, and I'm getting input, but I was wondering how you made out?

Surfrat

No, MACflyer. I want to put a 98-60 stainless gear sleeve but I can't find one. I want to add SS dogs and etc but money is super tight and I have been eating more fish than chicken. Fish for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I save the fish heads for soup and stew.  :P
Many thanks for everyone's suggestions. :al  A huge thank you to Swami805 for his donation to my science experiment! :d
I finally found a parts reel and have been too busy fighting to survive and cleaning the 501 spool. So here's my Blackfish Special  ;D that I am going to use for other fish until the blackfish season opens again.  ::)

Surfrat

I found a 98-60 stainless gear and a jigmaster ring. I am waiting for the package.  ::)

Blackfish season is opening soon...  :fish

Gfish

I think the gear sleeve you want is a 98-505 stainless-steel. Then you godda use the fine thread star that goes with it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

I have a couple of those stars(10-505). The SS gear sleeve is relatively expensive, but if you get one, and want a star for it PM me.

Surfrat

Gfish, I am buying the 98-60 SS for my other smaller Penns. Yes. The 98-505 with the star 10-505 is closed to 40 bucks or more shipped. I am saving money for it. I am thinking of buying the one set from Cortez. I found a jigmaster ring to replace the cracked jigmaster ring on my favorite 500.  :)
Going to this Penn reel upgrading path is less than restoring old cars.  :P

JasonGotaProblem

Its true. To me, steel gears on a jiggy scratches the same itch as adding a turbo to a car. For about 2% the price.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Surfrat

I am so happy that I saved enough money. Now I have to find time to install the upgrades. I bought the gear sleeve and a few other things.  :fish but I have to go fishing more. It's the fall run...

MisterStinky

That reel is coming together great Surfrat. I am going to keep a lookout on ebay so I can build something similar.

Surfrat

MisterStinky. Good luck with your search and build!  ;D Someone asked me why I didn't get a Tiburon frame for it. I am trying to keep this reel light for my rod balance and not burn a big hole into my piggy bank. If I am using a Tiburon frame, the reel will be heavier in weight but stronger. I love how Tiburon frame looks on other's narrowed reels.  ^-^

I have been using it for Blackfish and Triggerfish as their bites are light tappings. Blackfish season is coming soon...  ;)  ::)

MisterStinky

👍 Good luck for the blackfish season.

Surfrat

I recently installed the SS gear sleeve with the fine star. I let my friend who is a kid use my Blackfish Special right next to me and he dropped it on the rocks and broke the handle...  :'( Crackle Jack...  :P  :-\ Now I need to get a Penn 24-56 handle.  :-[