Blackfish Special

Started by Surfrat, April 15, 2022, 09:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfrat

Hi. I am trying to build a good/useable condition Penn Surfmaster 250 with Jigmaster 501 or jigmaster parts for "Blackfish Special". This is going to be my poor man's Jigmaster/Surfmaster for Blackfish.

I am not mechanical inclined or good with painting so don't expect to see a master piece but I want to make my 1st Franken reel out of Penn parts.

I have an ugly Surfmaster 250 that needs many parts. I am waiting for new drags and a new dog to arrive. I am looking for 501 or parts to assemble the skeleton to attach the 250. Stay tune...  :P

RowdyW

It looks like the pinion gear is worn out so you will need that with a matching main gear. Need to replace the gear sleeve too. It might be better to search for a decent used 500 or 501.    Rudy

Wompus Cat

I would slap some good Grease on the gears ,put some drags in it and put back together  and Fish IT  :fish .    Dog looks good to me . ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Swami805

Great idea, is the spool shaft of a 501 compatible with 250 guts?  I have some Newell bases and bars but the spool might be tricky
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Surfrat

^-^ Yes, the Surfmaster 250 uses the same 29L-500 or 29L-501 spool on the Jigmaster 500 or 501. I am going to use a Jigmaster 501 frame, 501/506 posts, and a 29L-501 spool to make a Surfmaster 250N. The shiny curve on the dog shows it is worned out. The left or tail ring has a crack on where it goes with the frame post. My 250 has a 13-99 pinion(still good), steel 5-60 main gear, 11-99 eccentric jack, and 13-99 pinion yoke. Some of these original parts are not on the schematic I downloaded. :o

I got the idea from a few members here who all use a Tiburon frame on their 250. I love how Keta, Bryan Y, and Shark hunter, and Mo65 did theirs but I am going to try. :al

I plan to add 4 ht100 drags, a 24-66 green handle, SS gear sleeve(can't find), and double dogs :P .

Blackfish season has opened but will close at the end of April here.  >:(

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Surfrat on April 16, 2022, 10:23:28 AMThe shiny curve on the dog shows it is worned out. The left or tail ring has a crack on where it goes with the frame post. My 250 has a 13-99 pinion(still good), steel 5-60 main gear, 11-99 eccentric jack, and 13-99 pinion yoke. Some of these original parts are not on the schematic I downloaded. :o

The Shiny spot is from the Bottom Washer Rubbing on it over the years . Maybe the screw which the dog fits over was loose for some time and allowed the thing to wobble in there a bit letting it Rub more than normal . Cheap part to replace but the  Shine won't affect performance unless the Shine wears off the Tip or Point that actually engages the A/R/Gear in which your Lever looks Fine . I don't think the Jigmaster spools are the same shaft diameters as the 250  Since the 250 has bushings and the 501 is a Bearing model but I may have the Jiggy's and the Squibbers  mixed up here  I dunno much bout Penns . Will learn a lot from  watching your Build........
More Power to you in your Build ..Looking forward to the End Result.   :d 
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

Yeah, should be an interesting project.

The 506 HS Jig master is a ball bearing model and has different(longer) spool shafts and a 5:1 main gear(smaller teeth). The 501 will be a bushing model. Also the side plates for the 501 vs the 506 will be different.

How deep do you fish for Blackfish?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Surfrat

I have been bottom fishing for about a week catching Blackfish (Tautog). The fish are sometimes big from 3 to 15 pound and mix with other fish so the reel needs to be strong because I have to horse them out of the rock piles or else I get stuck onto rocks or snags. So far it has worked great fishing with my other gear but I want to teach my boys and myself on building a Franken 250N "Blackfish Special" reel. 8)I am blackfishing in less than 200ft but I have to hold the rod and reel and change spool quick for I am fishing in snag territory. Jigmasters are great but non of mine have a steel gear, all bronze main gear.

PacRat

There's nothing wrong with a bronze main gear. Fish those Jigmasters and worry about the gears when and if they wear out. The Jigmasters have a larger drag also. Don't hesitate to use them.
-Mike

Maxed Out

Like Mike said....nothing wrong with bronze main gear. The bronze is stronger than many types of steel
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Surfrat

I only got Jigmaster 500 with bronze main gear. I read some members mentioned molybdenum steel main gear in their old Penns. I never saw in person or own one that is not bronze until now. I have caught very large fish on my jigmasters. :P

My new dog came and I assembled the handle side for now until I find a 501 frame. I tried a 13-500 pinion instead of the 13-99 pinion with the 5-60 main gear but the 500 pinion didnot grabbed enough. I will use the 250 handle side with my Jigmaster 500 left tail plate for Blackfish today.  :fish

Here are pictures of the worned and new 15-60 dog comparison, 4 drags(three 4-60 and one 4-155), and a used 24-66 handle.

bluefish69

Check the Yoke it looks like it's wearing where the Pinion goes. This happens a lot on the Newells. You might want to try a SS Yoke.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Surfrat

Thank you guys for your suggestions and comments. Does anyone have parts to build or a 501 frame that you dont use? I can't find any affordable but I will pay for shipping also but can you give me a LOW price?

I want to complete this build. Thanks.  :P

Swami805

I have Penn bars and a base for a 501 I can send you.   Not new but decent shape. Send me your address
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Surfrat

The 250 handle sideplate was giving me some problem when I swapped it to another jigmaster 500 frame. The other jigmaster handle side ring does not allow me to lock the 250 sideplate's one screw. Of the 3 jigmasters, only one fits.  :o

My 250 worked great on a nice whitechin blackfish when I hooked it and it tried to head into the snags. I though I hooked the bottom when I pulled then I felt a bull run... ;D