Someone please build something!

Started by thorhammer, April 21, 2022, 12:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Not fishing related but I have been "building something" for a few months.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

OK, John —-

I'll take the challenge.

Working on a bunch of spinner restore jobs today.

In between them being washed in the US cleaner —- I will put these (2) Senators together.

Just pulled New Old Stock parts out of the bins —- plus got a spool donated
from Randy & Dominic, for the 9/0.

Plus, another spool from a good member for the tiny 1/0.

Don't need them, but since I have the parts set aside from the bins —- might as well give it a go to see how far I can get with these.

Have worked on so many of these —- I can picture and name every part in my sleep.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Now I love seeing a Senator come together especially with Fred's restorative skilzzzz (after pics too, please sir!), but Lee, what be that???!!!! That looks like something I'd use in my professional life, like a pre-press powder dehydrator / granulator. Or, a couple pipes away from a big batch of beer!!!!

Henry, where's the 155?

Cor, can't wait to see the rod build.

thorhammer

[/quote]                                                 great pictures    john

thanks, Harry! meaning to send you a note, hope you're doing well and able to get out in the warmer weather!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Keta on April 21, 2022, 07:24:07 PMNot fishing related but I have been "building something" for a few months.

That is pretty exotic just to open a Beer Bottle . But I do like Stainless!!
Quote from: thorhammer on April 21, 2022, 07:39:25 PMNow I love seeing a Senator come together especially with Fred's restorative skilzzzz (after pics too, please sir!), but Lee, what be that???!!!! That looks like something I'd use in my professional life, like a pre-press powder dehydrator / granulator. Or, a couple pipes away from a big batch of beer!!!!

Cor, can't wait to see the rod build.

Henry, where's the 155? (THAT IS A LIVE LINK to it on my site .)
LIVE LINK TO PENN 155 Re-Do CLICK HERE
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

thorhammer

Wompus Cat

Then there are these Cortez Baja Plates I been playing with .

thorhammer

RowdyW

Henry, is that the US 113 standard width frame from the reel you bought with the rat bites in it? If it is it sure looks great after all the filling in & painting. I like the detailing on the plates too.     Rudy

Wompus Cat

Quote from: RowdyW on April 21, 2022, 11:55:27 PMHenry, is that the US 113 standard width frame from the reel you bought with the rat bites in it? If it is it sure looks great after all the filling in & painting. I like the detailing on the plates too.     Rudy

Nope I fixed the Bridge plate on that one did some more work on the frame  and got it all back together and it does look a bunch better . May just sell it .
The one pictured above is a BRAND NEW 113USW I just acquired . Have a new modified Bridge for it and THINKING bout putting these plates on it ....... Got a little more edge work to do on those . I like the Highlights I am Getting on the Edges.

Keta

Quote from: thorhammer on April 21, 2022, 07:39:25 PMbut Lee, what be that???!!!! That looks like something I'd use in my professional life, like a pre-press powder dehydrator / granulator. Or, a couple pipes away from a big batch of beer!!!!

It's a algae dryer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Haven't worked on a reel for over a year because my reel bench has been occupied with this old Silvertone archtop. A friend gave it to me years ago and it ain't worth much.  It needed a neck reset so I just set it in the corner on a stand. About a year ago I decided to reset the neck just to say I had done one. It doesn't even have a truss rod so I'm trying to get the back bow out of the neck. While I was at it I decided to inlay diamond abalone fret markers, dot neck edge markers and do a couple of headstock inlays. It's been a tedious and time consuming project, and easy to put off. I need to get it done so I can get back to playing with my reels.  ;)

I have picked up a couple of reels to fondle and admire, though. Once I get that Silvertone playable and off the desk I'll be servicing these gems. A Penn 705, Penn 711, Penn 710, Zebco Omega 850L, Cargem 23 Lancer and an ABU Cardinal 4 I picked up for $5.00 at a flea market in March. The lighting makes the 711 medallion look amber but it is silver. That reel was displayed on a rod but has never had line on it.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

I built an improvised rod transport system.

Does that count?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Cor

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 21, 2022, 06:43:16 PMIve reached the point where I look at my first couple builds and wonder how long til I can't take it anymore and rebuild them so the wraps look better.
I don't think I've ever done that for aesthetic reasons, but often to make it a better working rod!   I once not so long ago turned a normal rod into an acid wrap as an experiment.   
Cornelis

Rancanfish

Lol, thanks for posting up John. I was thinking the same thing.

But it's raining so I've been playing with my new toy pocket pistol. (Beretta .25 acp).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.