Someone please build something!

Started by thorhammer, April 21, 2022, 12:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Was having an off-line convo with Randy about choring getting in front of fishing projects. I realized I hadn't built but maybe one reel and one rod in about 18 months, (and that was a 4400ssg rebuild so not too exciting) and only one offshore trip which didn't go well. So, I have posted about zero pics. I know there are folks on here doing the work, let's see some pics! It seems to have slowed down in the past year, and I know part of why that is, but show your work! You may think it small, but there's always someone who is in their first try at it....and keeps the rest of going in the middle of servicing mowers, building decks, painting houses, etc, etc.

I'll do my end and try to load some on this new-fangled site layout if I can figger it out....

John

ReelFishingProblems

I'm off to a slow start. Finally have everything to include some graphics (a flag and a military crest) but I will make sure to document the build.

I'm playing around with guides, this is too many for a surf spinning rod. Also need to make a makeshift lathe out of a drill to shape the grip a bit.

I'll make a new thread as I get this in motion.

Nick

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

thorhammer

thorhammer

Crap. Nick, I coould've sent cork grips. Didn't occur to me.

thorhammer

:fish

Some old stuff but something to see anyway.

Cor

OK, I have ordered an expensive blank to build what I suspect may be my final rod that I can say I made myself.

I just decided impulsively to see if its worth paying 3 X the price of a local or Eastern ( that may not be correct) made blank and got a Black Hole Striped Bass 10ft 1-6oz.   It will be a light Yellowtail Rod.

I don't make beautiful rod, just functional and durable.   The youngsters have all been telling me what nice Rods these are!    Ill probably start in a week ot two by fitting guides, tip and reel seat with tape to go  casting and see the bend to get the correct no of guides and correctly spaced.

Maybe Ill post some photos.
Cornelis

reelrepair123

Bill B

I have this little DAM Quick 110 on the bench right now.  Does this count 🤔. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

I guess so, I can't unsee it now! Was that lubricated in the La Brea tar pit???? lol. Great reel!

Should be pristine when you get done, being packed in cosmoline like a 1946 Moisin!

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on April 21, 2022, 12:56:17 PMI know there are folks on here doing the work, let's see some pics!
John

hey compadre, these are my builds from 2022

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34830.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34561.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34529.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34375.0

not munch into reel mods lately since I think Im set with my current ones (yeah, right), right now Im into replacing my factory rods for all custom rods in my arsenal, Im having problems to replace the Phenix Black Diamond 760h, okuma inshore stalker 801XH and phenix axis 820H because I like the actions of those rods but I dont know what to build without personally flexing and testing some blanks ooh well
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Alex, just rebuild them then! If you like them so much now, you'll love them when they're custom.

I've built quite a bit so far this year. In fact I worry I'm overposting. I'm definitely overspending.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 21, 2022, 06:21:49 PMAlex, just rebuild them then! If you like them so much now, you'll love them when they're custom.

I've built quite a bit so far this year. In fact I worry I'm overposting. I'm definitely overspending.

thats what I was thinking, but I like to put my personal touch from the rear grip to the tiptop, I have already rebuilt few of my personal rods before I was getting into 100% custom building from the scratch, so far I already sold half my factory rods arsenal and waiting for some the blanks to arrive.
I prefer that someone get a nice rod for a decent price so, I can get the money for the blank and components for a new one, just for the pleasure of building it and actually use it as "presentation card".

it feels kind of weird to build many custom rods lately for friends and few customers while I still using factory rods to fish LOL, well not all of them are factory but my fancy ones that I use are factory made.   ::)  ::) so, NO MORE !  :o  8)

have you seen this one that I rebuilt on the quarantine time?
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31101.0    Nintendo Mario bros themed rod
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Ive reached the point where I look at my first couple builds and wonder how long til I can't take it anymore and rebuild them so the wraps look better.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 21, 2022, 06:43:16 PMIve reached the point where I look at my first couple builds and wonder how long til I can't take it anymore and rebuild them so the wraps look better.

I know the feeling
The Baja Guy