A Newbie with a Reel interest!

Started by paulo57t09, April 30, 2022, 03:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulo57t09

It's been a while.  Hope all is well with everyone. I couldn't find a relevant section to post this, so it landed here.

A member of a hunting forum I frequent came across this reel and is trying to ID it.  Can anyone help out?

TIA

philaroman

no specific info, but Montague is a good 1st guess for anything unmarked from that era
search for "multiplier" as well as casting/trolling/conventional 

Hank the fisherman

Hello all, having retired and bought a place on the coast of NC and still have a farm in the NC mountains I have been exposed to a lot more fishing and like equipment in the past few years. I was in the USN in the late sixties, most of our fishing was done with concussion grenades near Cam Ranh Bay. Through the years I have merely "accumulated" gear and am virtually clueless on some of the stuff I have. Scrolling briefly through the site there appears to be a tremendous amount of knowledge and I will enjoy trying to absorb some of it.
I was referred to this site by a member on another outdoor sports related forum when I posted a question about a reel I recently acquired. This reel has zero markings on it whatsoever and this looks like a great place to try and date it. The reel seems to function as designed. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated and I can gladly post pics if someone would guide me to an appropriate sub forum. Thanks for having me onboard.

Hank the fisherman

Thanks, I will as soon as I figure out how to post pics from my computer...not a technical wizard.

Wompus Cat

It ain't too hard to post pictures  but it would be Nice if a Moderator would post a HOW TO on this NEW Software on How To post pictures for us folks who are not too savy on Compooter stuff.
I am going to put that in the Suggestion Box when they put one of those up.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

alantani

welcome.  you can post a picture here if you wish.  most of us are not really particular.  after you type a response. just hit the preview button and the tab for attachments will pop up.  not sure why it doesn't do that automatically. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hank the fisherman

Trying to upload the pics....

Hank the fisherman

Got it, thanks for all of the help!

alantani

i'm not much on older reels.  hopefully someone here will know!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewcrafter

Welcome Hank from the SoCal Inland Empire.  Picture looks fine, and others on this site with more extensive knowledge will no doubt identify and help "fill in the blanks" on your reel.  All I can say (based on handle style) is it looks old.  Welcome aboard! - john

Gfish

Welcome to the site Hank!
Interesting reel, and no markings. It looks "Penn-like" but probably not an old Penn. This a great way to start-off on the Fourm!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Also, I've noticed that "Attachments and other options" pops-up automatically, when I hit the reply button...?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on May 01, 2022, 04:39:21 PMAlso, I've noticed that "Attachments and other options" pops-up automatically, when I hit the reply button...

Right, if you click on the "Quick Reply" —- attachments are trickier or not visible.

If you click on the "Reply" button —- it all comes up.

At least on my iPad.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Hank the fisherman on May 01, 2022, 03:18:14 PMTrying to upload the pics....

A lot of times Reels like this with all kinds of Similarities come down to being a Trade Reel one of many manufactures made in the  late 19 Thirties .
The  Knurled Free Spool Lever is similar to  Ocean City,Penn, Shakespeare and other old Reel Makers . Would like to see the innards as that may relate to the maker in how it engages and disengages the Free Spool.
THe Side plates have extra Nubs which tell me they were made to fit many other Reels of the Day where the Foot , and cross bars may be in different places .
The Round Wooden knob,the Acorn Shaped Nut holding the handle on as Well as the odd ball Counter ballance are all indicative of other Reels as well
IF you can post pix of the innards it might help .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him