Avet MXJ Freespool Time

Started by Bill Benrath, April 22, 2009, 02:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Benrath

I decided to try the Extreme Reel + lube on a MXJ.  With the reel fully assembled I had about 10 seconds of freespool.  The 10 seconds was with the reel being torn down and the bearings cleaned with carb cleaner then lubed with Corrision X and reassembled.

Then I ordered the Extreme Reel; it came in tonight.  I took the reel apart and cleaned the spool bearings and the brake bearing with carb cleaner and blew them out with compressed air then lubed with Extreme Reel +.

With the right side plate and spool assembled but not installed in the main housing I got just a little better than 2 minutes of freespool.  When I assembled the right side plate with the spool in the main housing I only get about 15 seconds of freespool.  It also sounds like something might be rubbing (the sound is ever so slight).  Looking at the right side plate with spool assembly; the only thing that can be rubbing is the plastic clicker gear on the left side of the spool.

Unfortunately I didn't check the freespool with the Corrision X in the bearings with the main housing not installed.

Any thoughts?  Has anyone ever had to sand down the clicker gear? 

Thanks in advance for any replys.

alantani

on some of the avets that i've worked on, the bearing sleeve was cut short ever so slightly.  try this....  pull the spool out again and give it a spin with lateral/axial pressure on the bearings.  now install just the spring and pinion gear.  use the pinion gear to press in on the spring.  the spring will put lateral/axial load on the spool bearings.  if the bearing sleeve is the proper length, there will be no load on the bearings and the spool will spin continuously and unchanged.  if the bearing sleeve is to short, the spin velocity will immediately slow down when you push on the bearing.

along those lines, the "rough" sound might be from the tiny right spool bearing under a load.  it's a small bearing any amount of corrosion can have a profound effect on performance.  can you let us know?  thanks!  alan

take a look at this first......

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=138.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill Benrath

Won't be able to get to it tonight.  I will definitely let you know.

Bill Benrath

OK, I took the reel apart and if I understood you correctly I held the spool shaft in my hand while holding the pinion gear in the other; putting pressure (squeezing inward) on the bearings.  The spool spun for about a minute (I'm sure I didn't spin it as hard as I did when holding the right side with the spool attached without the left side plate installed).

I tilted the spool and nothing felt rough but it definitely spun freely.

I neglected to say in my original post that I have a single magnet installed inside the main housing.  I don't think it can be rubbing anywhere.  If I take the magnet out it sounds the same; Opps...... It spins for about a minute.  Man is my face red.

I guess the next thing to try is go outside and see if it casts any farther (with the magnet).

Thanks for the help.  I'm glad to know the spool tube isn't too short; that is if I conducted the test correctly.

alantani

no problem!  glad it's working so far.  alan

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

boy took me sometime to locate the answer to my question. read it somewhere but can't remember which community, but i knew the answer had something to do with "Alan Tani". just want to say thanks again Alan! tight lines....

alantani

mel, you're welcomed.  so, you really are in brazil ?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

yes, i really am in brazil, originally from the Philippines, but lived in the good ol' USA from 1982-2007.   :)