shimano tld 15 failed while fighting a 50lb striped bass

Started by Eddie Hernandez, June 03, 2022, 04:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Hi All -while fighting a 50lb striped bass with my tld15 the handle just spun and I could not reel in line? What could have caused this reel to fail this way? I upgraded to one of alans power handles did I do something wrong when i installed it?. your thoughts? btw we landed the fish i tied a double uni knot to another outfit and we landed a cow!!!

Hardy Boy

Did the pinion strip ?? Can we see a pic of the inside gears ? Were you fishing a high drag setting ?

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

handi2

The handle could have stripped where it connects to the main gear.

The gears could strip but it would be noisy.

The TLD main gear is pressed onto the shaft. It's not likely but I have had one reel that was stripped. No drag,
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Eddie Hernandez

I would have to say yes the drag was set high, I will take apart the reel today and upload images. Thank you for the reply Todd......ed

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: handi2 on June 03, 2022, 05:55:39 PMThe handle could have stripped where it connects to the main gear.

The gears could strip but it would be noisy.

The TLD main gear is pressed onto the shaft. It's not likely but I have had one reel that was stripped. No drag,

I think you may be right on the handle being stripped, deff not the main gear. The handle no longer was engaged with the main gear it just spun and the spool did not move.

Hardy Boy

Handi is prob right. I have seen that also, loose where the post is attached to the gear, its just kind of peened where its pressed. I've seen them loose but never stripped free ................. impressive if thats what happened. Its not expensive to repair. New gear and pinion. You will see right away.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

philaroman

were you using braid?
any chance it became "unanchored" & just spun around arbor en masse ?

steelfish

The Baja Guy

day0ne

Quote from: Hardy Boy on June 03, 2022, 06:14:14 PMHandi is prob right. I have seen that also, loose where the post is attached to the gear, its just kind of peened where its pressed. I've seen them loose but never stripped free ................. impressive if thats what happened. Its not expensive to repair. New gear and pinion. You will see right away.

Cheers:

Todd

I've had several that the shaft stripped free from the gear.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

handi2

I think he has found that the handle itself stripped. After hundreds of TLD 15's only one I found the shaft stripped eyed it's peened into the gear

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Eddie Hernandez

I believe I found the problem!!! This small piece of metal fell out once I opened the reel up!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

Eddie Hernandez

Added additional pictures of the main gear and the fish that busted this reel. I'm going to repair this reel and sell all 3 of my tld 15's. Just don't have any confidence with these outfits after this. Stinks because I purchased all new power handles and arms for them.

Hardy Boy

I've seen them come loose like I said, but that busted. I would say its rare and maybe you got a bad gear. I would try again before you give up on them. I know guys who have caught a lot of halibut with them but they are only pulling 10 lbs of drag ........... maybe. They are not a true 80 lb reel.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd