PENN JIGMASTER STAINLESS STEEL SLEEVES - COMPARISON . . .

Started by ez2cdave, July 22, 2022, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

There are two makers of upgraded Stainless Steel sleeves for the Penn Jigmaster . . . Cortez Conversions and PRO Challenger.

They sleeves are similar to each other, but not identical . . .

So, naturally, the question arises of what the advantages and disadvantages of each product might be.

So, here they are, "head to head".

Thanks, in advance, for everyone's input !

(1) Cortez Conversions . . .

CORTEZ - 1.JPG

CORTEZ - 2.JPG

CORTEZ - 6.JPG 

CORTEZ - 3.JPG

CORTEZ - 4.JPG

CORTEZ - 5.JPG 

(2) PRO Challenger . . .

PRO CHALLENGER - 1.JPG

PRO CHALLENGER - 2.JPG 

PRO CHALLENGER - 3.JPG

PRO CHALLENGER - 4.JPG 

Thanks, everyone . . .

Tight Lines !

Dave F. 

ez2cdave

Pics should be working now . . .

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

Maxed Out

Both of these guys offer their parts here on the forum. Both gear sleeves do the intended job. Choosing one over the other is up to each individual. No sense insulting these guys that make our custom parts. Everyone has their own opinion, I have both on several reels and can't tell any difference
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

I have both as well, top notch products,    Always excellent service from both.  Can't go wrong with either one
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ez2cdave

Quote from: Maxed Out on July 22, 2022, 02:28:21 AMBoth of these guys offer their parts here on the forum. Both gear sleeves do the intended job. Choosing one over the other is up to each individual. No sense insulting these guys that make our custom parts. Everyone has their own opinion, I have both on several reels and can't tell any difference

This is a direct comparison between similar items, produced by two different manufacturers. The items are similar, but not identical, and their pricing is very close to each other.

I fail to see how an "open, honest comparison" would be an insult to either manufacturer.

Reviews of fishing reels, for example the Alan Hawke reviews, point out the strengths and weaknesses of the items being reviewed. If shortcomings are noted, that information is beneficial to consumers, even if it does not praise the manufacturer.

Dave F.

Shellbelly

The Penn 50(X)'s and 3/0's are pretty dang tough right out of the box.  I do like the idea of adding teeth to the AR gear as this could reduce wear and stress.  Stainless certainly adds longevity.  I'm neutral about the thread pitch. 

Why not fab drag stars and offer them as a kit with the sleeve....one-stop shop.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

ez2cdave

I am trying to determine, since the two designs are different from each other, what the advantages or disadvantages of each sleve design might be.

For example, there appears to be a difference in the design of the "teeth" that engage the Dog(s) on the Bridge.

The PRO Challenger sleeve, from the pictures, appears to have "teeth" that are sharper at the tip, than the Cortez Conversions sleeve has.

QUESTIONS :

(1) Does this design provide more contact with the Dog(s) ?
(2) Due to the sharper tip, would it be more prone to wear or damage ?
(3) Would the "ramped" tooth of the Cortez reduce wear on the Dog(s) ?
(4) Is there any difference in strength between the two sleeves ?

As you can see, I am not "playing favorites", but simply comparing the two sleeves.

CORTEZ :

CORTEZ - 6.JPG

PRO : 

PRO CHALLENGER - 1.JPG

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

JasonGotaProblem

My suspicion is that the SS sleeve was designed side by side with their SS dogs for a given reel. There's no reason the designs need to be identical as long as they're internally consistent. So my interpretation is if you use a Cortez sleeve you should use Cortez dogs for best results, and similarly if you use a PC sleeve,  use PC dogs for best results. That doesnt mean either is better or worse.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

nelz

Looks like the Cortez has a recess on the bottom, whereas the PC lays flat. Maybe there's a bridge model that requires that recess?

ez2cdave

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 22, 2022, 03:28:52 PMMy suspicion is that the SS sleeve was designed side by side with their SS dogs for a given reel. There's no reason the designs need to be identical as long as they're internally consistent. So my interpretation is if you use a Cortez sleeve you should use Cortez dogs for best results, and similarly if you use a PC sleeve,  use PC dogs for best results. That doesnt mean either is better or worse.

That's a very good point. I had not considered the Dogs themselves. Does Cortez make a "double-dog" bridge for the Jigmaster ?

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

ez2cdave

Quote from: nelz on July 22, 2022, 03:35:46 PMLooks like the Cortez has a recess on the bottom, whereas the PC lays flat. Maybe there's a bridge model that requires that recess?

That's a good observation. I took a look at the different Jigmaster bridges, All variations would require a recess in the base of the sleeve. I think the angle of the PRO Challenger pic made it hard to see the recess.

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shellbelly on July 22, 2022, 02:05:46 PMWhy not fab drag stars and offer them as a kit with the sleeve....one-stop shop.

I like that idea !

I learned something interesting about Stainless Steel, in general, and aftermarket Star Drag "wheels". Many aftermarket Star Drag wheels are made of Aluminum. Apparently, Aluminum & Stainless Steel "do not play well together" in threaded interactions. As a result, any aftermarket Star Drag wheels should have a Steel insert that interacts directly with the Stainless Steel sleeve.

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

Swami805

Pro challenger makes stars for their sleeves with a stainless inserts. I have a few
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shellbelly

Have there been any corrosion issues on the star drag where the SS insert meets the other metal...presumably aluminum?  I can understand how the making of stainless stars could be problematic.

IF either sleeve producer recommends the other peripheral parts..dogs, springs, bridge, etc AND makes all these, then why not just sell the entire kit.  After all, it's all stainless and will probably outlast the user and the rest of the reel.

Why put a stainless sleeve against a brass dog?

All that said, I like both products, but would lean toward a 10-tooth AR gear.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shellbelly on July 22, 2022, 06:54:40 PMHave there been any corrosion issues on the star drag where the SS insert meets the other metal...presumably aluminum?  I can understand how the making of stainless stars could be problematic.

IF either sleeve producer recommends the other peripheral parts..dogs, springs, bridge, etc AND makes all these, then why not just sell the entire kit.  After all, it's all stainless and will probably outlast the user and the rest of the reel.

Why put a stainless sleeve against a brass dog?

All that said, I like both products, but would lean toward a 10-tooth AR gear.

Both of these units have 10 teeth . . . Agreed about the Brass Dog vs. Stainless.

It appears that neither Cortez nor PRO Challenger make individual Dogs for the Jigmaster. The Dogs that PRO Challenger makes are integral to their Double-Dog Bridge.

PRO CHALLENGER - 5.JPG

Tight Lines !

Dave F.