Tsi321

Started by BMITCH, February 12, 2012, 02:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treidm

One thing I hadn't considered...

If the reason for not recommending it for plastics, was due to it reacting with some plastics, not melting but just reacting...

So, even though there might not be a visible change to a given plastic, could the plastic be leaching contaminant components into the product?

Regards, Reid
"If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor."

--Frank Lloyd Wright

HalBrown

I now have 301 dipped bearings in several reels and nothing has "melted" because the solvent in 301 is gone 60 seconds after dipping.
The melting thing never goes away.

Comedie

Mileage may vary. I absolutely know that 301 can melt down at least some plastics. I had 301 in a plastic pin oiler that I took on a longrange trip last year. The clear plastic body of the oiler melted down. Thankfully I had my lubes in a freezer ziplock, and it didn't eat thru that.
I have both 301 and 321. Given what I experienced, I am using 321 for all my reels now. Too much money in these things to roll the dice on he-said/she-said stories. If 301 was truly safe for plastics, they would not have created 321. I've used both on my reels, and frankly, I haven't noted a performance difference between them myself. Maybe 301 is only nasty to plastics until something evaporates(?), but if 321 performs as well, why take any unneeded risk?

JGB

TSI301 is  321 with a proprietary solvent (so it will clean powder and bullet residue from gun barrels). The advantage of the 301 in reel servicing is it will release any junk from the metal surfaces including grease and it allows for very small amounts of 321 to be left behind so you get the best reduction in ball bearing friction. When you us 321 you will have to blow the bearing out with air to remove excess 321 to get similar performance to just using a drop of 301. 301 is around 90% solvent.

TSI has a warning that 301 may attack some plastics. Always test if in doubt before using.

Jim N.

Dominick

Quote from: HalBrown on March 01, 2012, 05:40:29 PM
I now have 301 dipped bearings in several reels and nothing has "melted" because the solvent in 301 is gone 60 seconds after dipping.
The melting thing never goes away.

In theory, I understand the solvent and lubricant left behind thing.  No one is considering the grease or dirt that the solvent has "cleaned" i.e. if you have some grit or salt crystals attached to some grease this grit is sitting on the ball bearings.  Now you dip the bearing in 301 and it disolves the grease, what happens to the grit when the solvent evaporates?  I say without further cleaning the grit remains.  So just dipping is not the answer.  Some more cleaning needs to be done.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BMITCH

Sounds like anyway you look at it. COMPRESSED AIR!!!
luck is the residue of design.

Dominick

Quote from: BMITCH on March 03, 2012, 11:30:08 PM
Sounds like anyway you look at it. COMPRESSED AIR!!!
My point exactly.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Dominick, when you get a chance go to the home center and get yourself a spray can of Paslode tool cleaner. give the open bearing a squirt, spinn it and then one more squirt . Prepare yourself to be amazed, add a drop of tsi 301 whyle still spinning. If you don't like it I'll pay for it ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Comedie

Quote from: JGB on March 03, 2012, 06:08:03 PM
When you us 321 you will have to blow the bearing out with air to remove excess 321 to get similar performance to just using a drop of 301. 301 is around 90% solvent.
Ahhhh,,,, well it makes sense why I see no difference in them then. I always clean my bearings first, usually with brake cleaner since it leaves behind no oils, dry them out with some air, and THEN 321 them. Not sure I would want to clean and lube at once actually.
BTW, I have seen 6000 series bearings where the inside carrier was some kind of plastic. Not sure how common they are, but certainly something to verify for those using 301.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 04, 2012, 02:33:32 AM
Dominick, when you get a chance go to the home center and get yourself a spray can of Paslode tool cleaner. give the open bearing a squirt, spinn it and then one more squirt . Prepare yourself to be amazed, add a drop of tsi 301 whyle still spinning. If you don't like it I'll pay for it ;).
Sal: I'm not going to like it already, send the money ::).  No Home Centers near here, I'll check though.  Dominick

redsetta

QuoteSal: I'm not going to like it already, send the money...
Classic - touché sir. ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

TravHale

To summarize my understanding:

If using TSI301 it is best to soak/spray the bearing then blow them out with compressed air to remove any contaminates.

If using TSI321 it is best to use a separate cleaner on the bearings before applying TSI321 then blow the bearings out again to remove access TSI321.

alantani

i clean the bearing first with carb cleaner and compressed air, then dip in tsi 301 or 321 and let the excess drain out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

HalBrown

Alan is the expert and I do what he says.  A misperception developed somewhere along the discussion that 301 is used to clean bearings.  No, no, no.

Strewth

Does the TSI301/321 work as well on ceramic bearings - such as Boca orange seals - or is the improvement most noticeable on all stainless bearings? My intended application is baitcaster reels, and because of the plastic in them I'm thinking of using the TSI321 after spinning the bearings in acetone with my Dremel.