Tsi321

Started by BMITCH, February 12, 2012, 02:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWS

NO TSI 301 won't work on Ceramic Bearings

alantani

you mean all ceramic or including the ones with stainless steel races?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Strewth

My question was aimed at hybrid ceramic bearings - such as Boca OS which only have ceramic balls I believe. I was not asking about pure ceramic bearings, and apologise for any confusion.

flyforfish21

It won't do anything for the ceramic, but it will sure as heck protect the stainless steel parts that accompany the ceramic balls. It'll slow them down a bit, and in my opinion cut down on their performance. I LOVE tsi301/321 with SS bearings though, quiet and cast for days. Like Alan, i've been running a swimbait reel that's heavily used (freshwater swimbaits up to 10 oz's) for about 6 months now and haven't re-lubed the bearings once! It's great stuff!

Geoff

alantani

agreed.  for hybrids with stainless steel races and cages, give it a try!

Strewth

OK, so it is best for all stainless bearings but will also help with hybrids. Does it work well for lighter baits in the range 1/4 - 1/2 oz?

alantani

it should be fine. 

bluefish69

I just hope the 301 - 321 doesn't eat my Newell's. I just won't use it on the Boca Ceramic Bearing. I have spoke with Boca & they said run them DRY.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

GulfOfBothnia

Would it be possible to turn 321 into 301 by adding solvent?

What solvent could be used?

I think this process would benefit overseas customers to get home made 301.

Antero

Bryan Young

If you clean your bearing good, you could just use TSI321.  Add a small drop, spin your bearing so all surfaces are coated, then blow out the excess or have the excess spin out by itself.  You will be fine.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

antonv

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 30, 2012, 04:33:34 PM
If you clean your bearing good, you could just use TSI321.  Add a small drop, spin your bearing so all surfaces are coated, then blow out the excess or have the excess spin out by itself.  You will be fine.

Will blowing/spinning out the excess 321 give the same performance as compared to letting 301 evaporate and leave a "micro thin film" of 321 on the bearings?  I read somewhere that 321 is 10X as thick as 301.

Bryan Young

That is correct.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Biggameaddict

You guys are way overthinking it. Just clean out the bearings and dip the bearings in tsi 301 or 321 then let them on a drag to dry. Simple as that.

antonv

Thanks bryan!

I was just confirming.  I'm also an engineer so i usually tend to overthink things  :)

I was able to get a small amount of tsi 301 from a friend and after trying it out, the effect was far from that of speed x(this is what i have been using before), even when I removed that hydrodynamic wedge/excess speedx with compressed air.  I also read somewhere (not too sure if it was from this forum) that the viscosity of 321 is the same as speedx? The reason why i was confirming

LTM

SpeedX is thicker (higher viscosity) than TSI 301, I have both and compared the two. 301 contanins solvent and has melted one of my small tube precision oilers.  However, I put the 301 in a precision oiler I purchased from a place that sell's bulk plastic and custom fabricated plastic items and doesnt melt at all. Solvents do come in plastic containers now-a-days but you must know the specific type of plastic to use (look on the bottoms of plastic solvent containers next time in the hardware store).

Sal, I tried a similar product to Paslode. The product I used was Performance Plus Electric Motor Cleaner; I use it in my electric motors for R/C electric airplane's. I believe it to be very similar to Paslode so I used it AFTER cleaning some bearings with Carbuerator cleaner (in my ultrasonic cleaner). There was a noticeable improvement over just the carb cleaner; then I cleaned the bearing again (carb cleaner in the ultrasonic cleaner again) and added 301.  The difference between 301 and the electric motor cleaner SEEMED THE SAME, I didnt time either test and didnt notice any significant improvement between the two.

The main difference between "Electric Motor Cleaner" and TSI 301 is cost per application.  The electric motor cleaner is approx $6 per aerosol can vs a drop of TSI 301.  For me, I'll stick with the TSI 321 (yes I use both 301 & 321) for economy and maybe one day time test  the two products.

Leo