Hello.....New to the site but not to penn reels

Started by Maxed Out, February 14, 2012, 01:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Hello everyone, I am a "newbie" here and am a big Alan Tani fan.

I've been around penn reels for almost 50 years. My dad owned a tackle shop starting in 1960 and was a huge penn dealer, and here in the pacific nortwest penn reels were the most widely used reel of choice for many years and are still fairly popular. My dad got me involved in penn reels & before he passed away 15 years ago I was prepped by him to pass me the torch. I love restoring/buying/selling and collecting old penns and also fish with many of them to this day.

I've read a few threads on here, but still have a many to read and I'm certain that I'll learn a lot along the way.

Tight Lines, Ted

P.S. My username is "Max Doubt" but it is a name you need to sound out. Say it out loud and you'll get the true meaning......."maxed out"
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

redsetta

Welcome from New Zealand Ted - look forward to your contributions.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

Welcome from all the way down in Northern California. A bunch of us are Penn fans.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Hello Ted, I'm glad you finally made it over. I'm sure that you will be learning a lot along the way, but, I have no doubt that we will also be learning a lot from you. Nice to have you with us buddy, I hope you'll enjoy your stay.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Here we go a Maxed out Newbie.  It looks like he got the bug when he was a kid.  Good to have you aboard.  I own about 20 reels.  All Penns.  You will find many Penn fans on this site.  Actually there are only two kinds of reel men.  Those that own Penns and those that wish they owned Penns.  ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

kamuwela

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Welcome aboard...
where in the Pac No West are you???
Her is a pic of my Daughter a few days ago (Lives in Vancouver, Wa) Drift fishing a small river West of Olympia, Wa with some friends...   
Some awesome Steelheads for the day. Hooked 14...
Of course the Wild have to be released......
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Nessie Hunter

Some Salmon on the Columbia River down past frenchmans bar..... Sept 2011..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Keta

A few springers are showing up on the CR now, in a few weeks I'm wanting to head north and fish the Willamette and Columbia.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Welcome Ted.  Nice avitar.  We all have a long way to go, but with the help of each other, we are all getting better and sharpening our knives.

Nessie, nice...Your daughter is beautiful.  I have to look her up when I get up to Vancouver, WA.   ;)  The fish, WOW.  I'm so getting hungry for some cold smoked steelies and salmon.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on February 14, 2012, 05:17:58 PM
Welcome aboard...
where in the Pac No West are you???
Her is a pic of my Daughter a few days ago (Lives in Vancouver, Wa) Drift fishing a small river West of Olympia, Wa with some friends...  
Some awesome Steelheads for the day. Hooked 14...
Of course the Wild have to be released......

I'm north of Seattle about 30 minutes (1 hour during high traffic volume). I don't fish the rivers, I'm strictly a saltwater angler. My killing grounds are Puget Sound, Westport, LaPush, Neah Bay, west coast Canada, & San Juan islands. I fill my freezer with ling cod, halibut, king and coho salmon, and albacore tuna....BTW, thanks for the fish picks, very nice......Here is a pic of my fish killing machine.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

redsetta

Great pics Nessie.
Cracker boat, too, Ted - looks like it could handle some heavy water.
Cheers for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Nice fishing rig Ted, thanks for sharing.

Great shots Nessie, chip off the old block ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Welcome aboard Max!  Love the fish slaying machine... what size is she?  Looks like she can take a licking and keep on ticking.  If you're a Penn man you will feel right at home here with the rest of us "Penn Men."  Looking forward to learning some tricks of the trade from ya.

Nessie,
   Nice pics... I love the fight of a steelie, though never caught one in a river just on Lake Michigan... they must go bananas in that shallower water, huh?!
Dom