saltwater corrosion prevention

Started by pepperist, February 14, 2012, 04:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepperist

hi, allen et al. sorry if this has been brought up before (i did a search and came up with irrelevant results since the word 'salt' is so common), but what is your/everyone's opinion on products such as salt-x and salt-away? i've talked to people who swear by either, saying that a simple spray down with one or the other after a day in the surf/on the water is all it takes to prevent any/all corrosion whatsoever.

http://www.saltx.com/saltx_info_howwork.htm

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/FishingPage.htm

is this forreal or a gimmick? anyone have any experience with either of these products?

pepperist

wow, sorry i botched the spelling of your name. ALAN, not allen. excuse me.

Dominick

Pepperist:  Salt-X and Salt-Away both work very well.  You will still have to service the reels at least once a season though.  Don't forget that salt water does get inside the reel.  I'll bet that if you started out with a serviced reel which has been internally greased and you sprayed some salt away into the drain holes it would stop salt corrosion.  I haven't tried it, it is just a theory.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Used salt-away on boat, trailer, and other stuff, except reels.  Works great, but never though of using it on reels.  I used to wash and soak reels in fresh water, empty, and re-soak in fresh water.  Never had an issue.  Now, I wash, allow to dry, and service twice a year ('cause I just do).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i know alot of guys that use these products.  i just use plain water, but the reels are fully serviced first.  makes a big difference. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Normslanding

I like the stuff. It seems to pull salt from hard to reach places. Then I use corrosion X.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 14, 2012, 06:51:05 AM
Used salt-away on boat, trailer, and other stuff, except reels.  Works great, but never though of using it on reels.  I used to wash and soak reels in fresh water, empty, and re-soak in fresh water.  Never had an issue.  Now, I wash, allow to dry, and service twice a year ('cause I just do).

I agree whole hartedly here. I also flush the outboard motor using "ear muffs". Salt-Away has a mixxing bottle that attaches to a hose, just add consentrate. IMO it has done wounders to help reduce corrosion.

Maxed Out

Hot tip, household white vinegar will nuetralize any saltwater deposits.

If you have any item with the green dried saltwater deposits the vinegar will also work on that, but it won't undo any corrosion that has occured under the deposits. I use an old toothbrush and white vinegar on reels and it works wonders.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!