avet clicker…

Started by sebastianr240, November 24, 2022, 09:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Says something about the pinion bearing quality on Avet's. Both the frequency of needing change-out and the low cost. Maybe they outta include spares when buying new...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

It is design rather than quality.  A "deep grove" bearing has a thin outer race and they tend to crack.  They are better for side loading than a "normal" ball bearing but they tend to wear out fast.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sebastianr240

Am i wrong in thinking that no matter what a lever drags reel's handle will bind when applying a certain amount of drag? Axial load is just crushing that bearing with prolonged use right? The pinion bearing on mine seems to be smooth until i really start getting up the close to the max end of the manufacturers specifications. And i don't regularly fish with more than 8-10 pounds of drag anyway.I target kingfish and get the occasional big tarpon or shark but if it's a shark i tend to just break off. I think if i need to replace the bearing i will go to an ABEC 7 sealed SS bearing, kind of suspicious that they sell a bearing for 6$.

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: sebastianr240 on November 28, 2022, 01:54:07 AMAm i wrong in thinking that no matter what a lever drags reel's handle will bind when applying a certain amount of drag? Axial load is just crushing that bearing with prolonged use right? The pinion bearing on mine seems to be smooth until i really start getting up the close to the max end of the manufacturers specifications. And i don't regularly fish with more than 8-10 pounds of drag anyway.I target kingfish and get the occasional big tarpon or shark but if it's a shark i tend to just break off. I think if i need to replace the bearing i will go to an ABEC 7 sealed SS bearing, kind of suspicious that they sell a bearing for 6$.
My guess is that it's the radial load, aka side load, not the axial load, that wears pinion bearings in general in conventional reels.  (And corrosion of course).  There are a lot of components between the far side plate and the drag cam that are meant to absorb and distribute the pressure,...Belleville washers, the drag plate spring, for example.  And lots of other components that would also wear prematurely if it was an axial load issue. Including lots of other bearings in the spool assembly.

As for the original clicker question, just a poor design on Avet's part for the clicker housing on that reel.  That plastic is not going to hold up.  They use a different design in other models with a metal insert that holds up better but is still persnickety and difficult to service.  Need a microscope and tweezers.

And...Clicking on the schematic in this thread causes me to ask for the thousandth time...Avet, why the terrible schematics?  Shimano has the best ones in my humble opinion.

sebastianr240

Quote from: PetesReelRepair on November 28, 2022, 02:17:09 AM
Quote from: sebastianr240 on November 28, 2022, 01:54:07 AMAm i wrong in thinking that no matter what a lever drags reel's handle will bind when applying a certain amount of drag? Axial load is just crushing that bearing with prolonged use right? The pinion bearing on mine seems to be smooth until i really start getting up the close to the max end of the manufacturers specifications. And i don't regularly fish with more than 8-10 pounds of drag anyway.I target kingfish and get the occasional big tarpon or shark but if it's a shark i tend to just break off. I think if i need to replace the bearing i will go to an ABEC 7 sealed SS bearing, kind of suspicious that they sell a bearing for 6$.
My guess is that it's the radial load, aka side load, not the axial load, that wears pinion bearings in general in conventional reels.  (And corrosion of course).  There are a lot of components between the far side plate and the drag cam that are meant to absorb and distribute the pressure,...Belleville washers, the drag plate spring, for example.  And lots of other components that would also wear prematurely if it was an axial load issue. Including lots of other bearings in the spool assembly.

As for the original clicker question, just a poor design on Avet's part for the clicker housing on that reel.  That plastic is not going to hold up.  They use a different design in other models with a metal insert that holds up better but is still persnickety and difficult to service.  Need a microscope and tweezers.

And...Clicking on the schematic in this thread causes me to ask for the thousandth time...Avet, why the terrible schematics?  Shimano has the best ones in my humble opinion.

I believe axial load is side load.. at least form my google search that is what i'm seeing

Keta

Quote from: sebastianr240 on November 28, 2022, 01:54:07 AMI think if i need to replace the bearing i will go to an ABEC 7 sealed SS bearing

Make sure you get a deep grove bearing or the sideload (axial load)  will destroy the bearing rapidly.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sebastianr240

Quote from: Keta on November 28, 2022, 02:48:09 AM
Quote from: sebastianr240 on November 28, 2022, 01:54:07 AMI think if i need to replace the bearing i will go to an ABEC 7 sealed SS bearing

Make sure you get a deep grove bearing or the sideload (axial load)  will destroy the bearing rapidly.

Can you link me to somewhere that sells this specific bearing? Or do you know the dimensions?

Keta

No, I just keep several Avet pinion bearings handy.

Mark Twain

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: sebastianr240 on November 28, 2022, 02:29:03 AM

I believe axial load is side load.. at least form my google search that is what i'm seeing
The diagram you posted is correct and is the opposite of what you typed.

Axial load is along the axis that passes through the theoretical center of the bearing, think of it as the centerline of the spool shaft.  That's the direction force travels when you tighten the drag lever.

Radial load or side load is perpendicular to axial load.  Think of the force exerted on the pinion bearing when fighting a fish, say a large one at heavy drag.  The spool wants to travel towards the fish, the pinion bearing keeps the top end from doing so.  The force vector isn't perfectly radial but varies based on where on the spool the line is wrapping.

sebastianr240

Quote from: PetesReelRepair on November 28, 2022, 04:34:24 AM

Axial load is along the axis that passes through the theoretical center of the bearing, think of it as the centerline of the spool shaft.  That's the direction force travels when you tighten the drag lever.

Radial load or side load is perpendicular to axial load.  Think of the force exerted on the pinion bearing when fighting a fish, say a large one at heavy drag.  The spool wants to travel towards the fish, the pinion bearing keeps the top end from doing so.  The force vector isn't perfectly radial but varies based on where on the spool the line is wrapping.

I think theres some miscommunication going on  :d

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: sebastianr240 on November 28, 2022, 04:41:08 AM
Quote from: PetesReelRepair on November 28, 2022, 04:34:24 AM

I think theres some miscommunication going on  :d
Yep.  Let's try this.

If you put a bearing in a vice such that the races faced each of the vice grips, and tightened it down, that's an axial load, just as you described when you talked about tightening the drag lever.

If you imagine the weight of a vehicle's axle bearing down on the wheel hubs due to gravity, that's a radial or side load.  It's called radial because it travels in the direction of the radius of the cylinder.  Think of a wheel, the radius is perpendicular to the axis.

On a conventional fishing reel, anytime you have a fish on, the force of the fish, if the spool is static, is perpendicular to the spool shaft and in the direction of the rod guides. And therefore perpendicular to the bearing axis.  Radial load.

My personal belief is that it's radial load that causes pinion bearings to fail.  Yes there is some axial load on the bearings from tightening down the drag system, like gripping the bearing in a vice, but I believe the axial load is more frequent and substantial.

Axial load is not side load.  Cylinders only have one axis they properly rotate around like a wheel turning.  Axial load is defined as force traveling along that axis.  Radial load, or side load, is force traveling perpendicular to the axial load.

handi2

It doesn't matter what load it is all small lever drag reel that use a common bearing (pinion bearing) will get hard to crank and ruin that bearing if you go over the recommended drag.

I've seen all of the Avet's do this

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

Quote from: PetesReelRepair on November 28, 2022, 05:30:09 AMAxial load is not side load.  Cylinders only have one axis they properly rotate around like a wheel turning.  Axial load is defined as force traveling along that axis.  Radial load, or side load, is force traveling perpendicular to the axial load.

Thrust, side load and axial load are all the same.

Mark Twain

boon

Quote from: PetesReelRepair on November 28, 2022, 05:30:09 AMMy personal belief is that it's radial load that causes pinion bearings to fail.  Yes there is some axial load on the bearings from tightening down the drag system, like gripping the bearing in a vice, but I believe the axial load is more frequent and substantial.

It is the axial load that kills them. Even tiny bearings can take surprisingly high radial loading, that is what they're designed for. The problem with the axial load is that in a lever drag reel's pinion it doesn't load the inner and outer races evenly - the clamping load of the drag is applied to the inner race while the bearing is primarily supported by the outer race. This causes (very small) distortion of the bearing, so that instead of operating like this ( O ) where the brackets are the races and the O is the ball, it's very slightly like this:
(
  O
    )
Obviously a massive exaggeration but hopefully you get where I'm going.

There are two ways to avoid/reduce this - either you run a thrust bearing to take the axial load away from the pinion bearing (check out Okuma Solterra SLX for an example) or you use heinously expensive angular contact bearings, which arrange the bearing races slightly differently so that the balls are better supported from axial loads, making a sort of hybrid radial+thrust bearing.

EDIT: For reference, using SKF specifications for a 7x19x6mm deep groove bearing.... the static load capacity is 0.95kN (or the equivalent of 95kg+gravity), while the maximum axial load they specify for all small bearings is 25% of the static load capacity. They even state:
Quote from: SKF Bearing WebsiteExcessive axial load can lead to a considerable reduction in bearing service life.

sebastianr240

Quote from: handi2 on November 26, 2022, 06:49:02 PMI still have a bad full of the small Avet clicker parts. I used to change them all the time

Can you please contact me? Avet doesn't carry the clicker housing and they told me they don't know when they'll ever get the part again. If anyone else has this clicker housing please pm