avet clicker…

Started by sebastianr240, November 24, 2022, 09:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Quote from: sebastianr240 on November 28, 2022, 11:07:10 PM
Quote from: handi2 on November 26, 2022, 06:49:02 PMI still have a bad full of the small Avet clicker parts. I used to change them all the time

Can you please contact me? Avet doesn't carry the clicker housing and they told me they don't know when they'll ever get the part again. If anyone else has this clicker housing please pm

Yes I will contact you

I didn't take a picture but I have that bag full including the black housing springs etc
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Hardy Boy

Wow I wonder why they don't carry them any more? Do the new avets not use them?

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: Keta on November 28, 2022, 04:01:25 PM
Quote from: PetesReelRepair on November 28, 2022, 05:30:09 AMAxial load is not side load.  Cylinders only have one axis they properly rotate around like a wheel turning.  Axial load is defined as force traveling along that axis.  Radial load, or side load, is force traveling perpendicular to the axial load.

Thrust, side load and axial load are all the same.
Agree that thrust and axial load are the same.

However, I can find many formal examples of side load, relative to a cylinder, being defined as the force perpendicular to the axis of rotation.  Pistons and actuators for example.

I can't find any formal examples of side load, for a cylinder, or even a bearing specifically, being defined as the axial or thrust load.

It may be an informal term, when it comes to bearings, that's dependent on whether the person using it is talking about the bearing wall "side" or the bearing race "side".

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: boon on November 28, 2022, 09:39:03 PM
Quote from: PetesReelRepair on November 28, 2022, 05:30:09 AMMy personal belief is that it's radial load that causes pinion bearings to fail.  Yes there is some axial load on the bearings from tightening down the drag system, like gripping the bearing in a vice, but I believe the axial load is more frequent and substantial.

It is the axial load that kills them. Even tiny bearings can take surprisingly high radial loading, that is what they're designed for. The problem with the axial load is that in a lever drag reel's pinion it doesn't load the inner and outer races evenly - the clamping load of the drag is applied to the inner race while the bearing is primarily supported by the outer race. This causes (very small) distortion of the bearing, so that instead of operating like this ( O ) where the brackets are the races and the O is the ball, it's very slightly like this:
(
  O
    )
Obviously a massive exaggeration but hopefully you get where I'm going.

There are two ways to avoid/reduce this - either you run a thrust bearing to take the axial load away from the pinion bearing (check out Okuma Solterra SLX for an example) or you use heinously expensive angular contact bearings, which arrange the bearing races slightly differently so that the balls are better supported from axial loads, making a sort of hybrid radial+thrust bearing.

EDIT: For reference, using SKF specifications for a 7x19x6mm deep groove bearing.... the static load capacity is 0.95kN (or the equivalent of 95kg+gravity), while the maximum axial load they specify for all small bearings is 25% of the static load capacity. They even state:
Quote from: SKF Bearing WebsiteExcessive axial load can lead to a considerable reduction in bearing service life.

Super interesting and I appreciate the info, I can picture the inner race deformation that you're describing.

But...and this question is worth considering regardless of which type of loading is actually responsible for the wear, why doesn't the bearing holding the spool shaft in the opposite side plate (4A) fail as often?  Perhaps the shape of the parts that press directly against it is different on that end.

boon

It's a very good question. In theory, we would expect the (usually) smaller spool left side bearing to fail faster than the pinion. For what it's worth, I once swapped out the pinion bearing on a reel, which let me run quite high drag without it binding up, and the left spool bearing failed after a fairly brief period. Perhaps there are some small differences in how the spool bearing is supported that make it less failure-prone?

PetesReelRepair

The recesses in the side plates are both similar as far as I remember...

The other trend applicable to the piston bearings, in my experience, is corrosion.  Along with, from time to time the outboard drive shaft bearing, it is common to see corrosion on the outside bearing walls making it difficult to remove, and also corrosion inside the bearing causing noisy and rough operation of the spool.  I just don't see this nearly as frequently on other reels.

handi2

Quote from: PetesReelRepair on November 30, 2022, 06:35:14 AMThe recesses in the side plates are both similar as far as I remember...

The other trend applicable to the piston bearings, in my experience, is corrosion.  Along with, from time to time the outboard drive shaft bearing, it is common to see corrosion on the outside bearing walls making it difficult to remove, and also corrosion inside the bearing causing noisy and rough operation of the spool.  I just don't see this nearly as frequently on other reels.

That's why I use ReelSpeed bearing pullers. Problem solved
Gulf Breeze, FL

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: handi2 on November 30, 2022, 08:35:28 AM
Quote from: PetesReelRepair on November 30, 2022, 06:35:14 AMThe recesses in the side plates are both similar as far as I remember...

That's why I use ReelSpeed bearing pullers. Problem solved

Do you use the miniature kit?

sebastianr240

Little update and rant here. I was able to get all the parts I need thanks to Keith and a nice lady on the phone at avet.

However... I ordered the parts included some studs for the reel clamp, a small screw, drag cap, teflon washer, an extra bearing, and some other small parts... It all came out to over 50$!!! No invoice yet from avet either. Thankfully Keith was able to provide the clicker housing.

I really love how smooth these avets are and I was considering upgrading to a raptor lx 2 speed one day, but with the hassle i went through in order to get these parts from them i don't think i will.

It is my understanding that they used to have a site that you could buy parts easily from, but that is no longer there. They are super backed up and thankfully i called in because the emails they receive from the "contact us" section of their site apparently don't show up until many days or weeks after they're sent in their system.

It's a shame because aside from the glued drag washer and clicker housing I love the design of the reels. I'm assuming the newer reels have a much better clicker housing.

handi2

The parts are in the way. It's a shame they don't have online parts ordering anymore. It is a pain.

Next time go with one if the better Okuma series. Their warranty is excellent if ever needed
Gulf Breeze, FL

sebastianr240

Quote from: handi2 on December 06, 2022, 06:52:16 PMThe parts are in the way. It's a shame they don't have online parts ordering anymore. It is a pain.

Next time go with one if the better Okuma series. Their warranty is excellent if ever needed

Thanks a lot Keith. I'll definitely give those reels a look.

sebastianr240

Quote from: handi2 on December 06, 2022, 06:52:16 PMThe parts are in the way. It's a shame they don't have online parts ordering anymore. It is a pain.

Hey Keith,

Are you able to check the status of the package? Just wondering because after the 20th i won't be at that address for about a month.

Sebastian

handi2

Quote from: sebastianr240 on December 16, 2022, 05:02:01 PM

Hey Keith,

Are you able to check the status of the package? Just wondering because after the 20th i won't be at that address for about a month.

Sebastian

They should have been there a week ago. I sent some small parts to another member the same day, same package and they got it last week

Keith

There was no tracking. It was first class mail in a brown padded envelope
Gulf Breeze, FL

sebastianr240

Quote from: handi2 on December 16, 2022, 08:18:50 PM
Quote from: sebastianr240 on December 16, 2022, 05:02:01 PM

Hey Keith,

Sebastian

They should have been there a week ago. I sent some small parts to another member the same day, same package and they got it last week

Keith

There was no tracking. It was first class mail in a brown padded envelope

Strange i never received it. I'm going to check out the office where I live and see if they maybe have it.

Do you recall if you included the name I messaged you on the package? If not they could have returned to your address if you provided that on the envelope

Edit: I just called them and they said they don't have a package for me. Maybe they're just experiencing some delays.

Thanks again

PetesReelRepair

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, but since there was previously a good bearing discussion in this thread perhaps OP won't mind the hijack.

Any recommendations for the best current source for an Avet SX5.3:1 bearing upgrade, specifically need the pinion bearing and both driveshaft bearings.  Spool bearings are perfect.  The reel I'm working on has had a fair amount of saltwater intrusion.

Coming back around to the original thread topic, the clicker is also bad, but only because of surface oxidation and the need for a clean and lube.  The clicker dog doesn't easily return to its original position after a click, gets stuck enough degrees out to no longer provide a loud click.

In researching parts, I also noticed that the Avet schematic for this reel, while beautiful, has key numbers that don't align to the parts list.  Doesn't inspire confidence...