Penn Squall 30LW antireverse

Started by CaptKrunch, December 10, 2022, 06:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptKrunch

So I took in 2 Squall 30LW for repair. Customer states the anti reverse slips some times. Also needs general cleaning.  No biggie thinking spring is slack or broke.

No spring. Not even one listed on schematics.  I can feel it not catch from time to time.

On tear down, again No spring. Internals appear good. Good coat of grease.  Reel is smooth. Drags look good.

After looking at it and putting it back together a couple of times to see if something does not mate right, decided to try pinching the copper wings on the anti reverse dog.

Put it back together. Try it without the pressure spring and drag star and exterior washers, it will still slip some.

Put it back together completely, now it seems to work. Don't want to send it back and it start slipping again.

Has anyone else come across this in this reel or a similar one?

Suggestions are always appreciated.
Sometimes  you are the reason for the safety meeting and somedays you are the only one they call to do the dumbs**t

Donnyboat

yes well good question, I try to wash them out with carb cleaner, they often have some rust in them, then I use a light auto trans oil, to lube them, I still get the odd one that wont work, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

handi2

That's the problem with those type dogs. Also no place to put a spring
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

CaptKrunch

Thank you gentlemen. Will get it the best I can and let them know.
Sometimes  you are the reason for the safety meeting and somedays you are the only one they call to do the dumbs**t

alantani

does this reel have an anti-reverse roller bearing?  sometimes these are pressed in and not considered to be "field replaceable."
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CaptKrunch

alantani

crud.  and it looks like it's a single leaf spring dog as well.  yeah, pinch the leaves together and it should work.  not my favorite anti-reverse system.   :-\

CaptKrunch

Alan, thanks for the input. When I tore it down there is a post directly beside the dog. Looked like the perfect spot for a spring, but I guess the designer had different ideas.

handi2

I've been in most of the Squall reels. They do have the clutch bearing and sleeve. It's just not listed on the schematic as a separate part.

I've been through this with Mo at Mystic Parts.
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

ok, perfect. if penn can press in an anti-reverse roller bearing, then anyone can press it out and replace it. 

CaptKrunch

Just so I am understanding this; you are saying that there is a clutch bearing on the Squall 30LW?

handi2

Yes in the Squall and Fathom reels

It is not listed as a separate part
Gulf Breeze, FL

CaptKrunch

Ok. Didn't see it but will dive into it again.

CaptKrunch

Gentlemen, this is why so many of us come here. The knowledge and the willingness to share it.

I just knew I had looked at all the parts when I tore this reel down to see if anything was obvious. Thank you handi2.

You are correct.

There is an anti reverse bearing pressed into the right side plate. I was focused on Key#9 the Tension Spring Washer and did not notice that the bearing was anti reverse.

Thank you for making sure I did not over look this.

Now the next obvious question, is this bearing the same as a Key # 98B on the Squall II 30SD? Since it is not "field serviceable"?

Keta

Degrease the AR bearing and lightly oil it, like 1 or 2 drops.

When pressing out the AR bearing support the back side of the side plate to prevent damage to it,.  You can use a socket large enough to let the bearing drop into it and a smaller socket to press it out with. 

Smooth drag should have replacement AR bearings.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain