Is it heat or cold that you use to re-insert a rod guide insert??

Started by pointbob, December 11, 2022, 01:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I have a giant stash of old thread, if you can post a picture we'll see if we can match it, I might have a quide too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

Quote from: oc1 on December 11, 2022, 03:21:21 AMHeat makes thing expand.  Cold makes them shrink.  So, heat the frame and freeze the ring.

Not always.

Unlike most metals, Nitinol wire gets longer when cooled an shorter when hot.  That is why a freezer spay is used for ring replacement on Nitinol frame guides.

The robotics guys use Nitinol it because running electrical current through it will heat it and cause it to contract, analogous to a  muscle fiber.  Can be used instead of complicated and bulky mechanical devices controlled by servos, especially for lower loads.

A link in my previous post has another link to a Ford patent for an automatic transmission derailleur for e-bikes.  You program the RPMS that you want to pedal at, and if you are pedaling too slow or fast, the controller switches gears for you.  Very simple electronics and mechanical components by using a pair Nitinol wire to pull the derailleur back and for. 

Sorry for getting off topic, but this stuff is just too cool...

-J

JasonGotaProblem

That tiny stretch calculated might be enough. Also check for a crack on the frame. If it cracked to allow the ring out, if you're careful you can pull it apart juuuuust enough, and glue the old one back in.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on December 11, 2022, 11:22:48 PMThat tiny stretch calculated might be enough. Also check for a crack on the frame. If it cracked to allow the ring out, if you're careful you can pull it apart juuuuust enough, and glue the old one back in.

0.009 mm is about 1/10 of the width of a human hair.  I am guessing nope.

Quote from: philaroman on December 11, 2022, 03:23:44 PMreally?  that much Ni?  always thought it was mostly Ti,
but they didn't want to call it Titanick  :D :D :D

They really should put philaroman in charge of coining all trade names everywhere :)

-J

boon

Three more broken inserts later I foresee a new guide being installed, whether or not the frame of the guide has also joined the broken pile.

If the rod has Fuji SiCs on it then it's at least reasonably high-end, replace the guide and call it good.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jurelometer on December 11, 2022, 08:36:10 PMSiC is the type of ceramic.  The frame will be stainless.

Maybe live with a less than perfect color match on a replacement wrap?

-J

If you are very, very careful and patient there are ways to remove the finish just enough to save the thread and reuse it on a rewrap on a new exact match FUJI SIC guide. The thread wrap may be a little shorter than original but at least both the guide and thread color will match the rest of the rod. I know it can be done if you go at it slowly and patiently because I have done it a couple of times in the past. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

Dremel out the inside of the frame very slowly til enough is removed to make space to pop it in with some adhesive?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

handi2

Quote from: jurelometer on December 11, 2022, 09:55:12 PM
Quote from: oc1 on December 11, 2022, 03:21:21 AMHeat makes thing expand.  Cold makes them shrink.  So, heat the frame and freeze the ring.

Not always.

Unlike most metals, Nitinol wire gets longer when cooled an shorter when hot.  That is why a freezer spay is used for ring replacement on Nitinol frame guides.

The robotics guys use Nitinol it because running electrical current through it will heat it and cause it to contract, analogous to a  muscle fiber.  Can be used instead of complicated and bulky mechanical devices controlled by servos, especially for lower loads.

A link in my previous post has another link to a Ford patent for an automatic transmission derailleur for e-bikes.  You program the RPMS that you want to pedal at, and if you are pedaling too slow or fast, the controller switches gears for you.  Very simple electronics and mechanical components by using a pair Nitinol wire to pull the derailleur back and for. 

Sorry for getting off topic, but this stuff is just too cool...

-J

Google is your friend!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

Bob, we can walk you through wrapping a new, guide no biggy, you'll just need a tube of five minute epoxy which then has plenty of other uses. Plenty of free ways to make a little hand wrap in five minutes for that job.

John

pointbob

Quote from: whalebreath on December 11, 2022, 04:08:48 AM
Quote from: pointbob on December 11, 2022, 03:07:25 AM...the local places are charging $50 for a single guide replacement[/b]...(i'm in canada...ripoffoff country lol)...
Last time I asked it was $8 at Pacific Angler on Broadway in Vancouver.

I spoke them. $35 for the labour IF you provide the guide and thread. For the one guide (that sells for on ebay for about $14 cad). Yeah....i'm just going to live with a naked guide I think.
Patience comes to those who wait

Breadfan

Quote from: pointbob on December 11, 2022, 03:07:25 AMmy guide is a fuji...i KNOW i should replace the whole guide etc but  I suck at that...and the local places are charging $50 for a single guide replacement...(i'm in canada...ripoffoff country lol)...

If it's a single foot guide, you can probably heat up the epoxy with a heat gun and just wiggle the guide out. Then get some 5 minute epoxy and slide a new guide back in, easy peasy. I've done many guides just like that. Unless they used a locking wrap, the guide really should come out leaving the epoxy tunnel intact.

Breadfan

Quote from: Breadfan on December 13, 2022, 03:27:45 PM
Quote from: pointbob on December 11, 2022, 03:07:25 AMmy guide is a fuji...i KNOW i should replace the whole guide etc but  I suck at that...and the local places are charging $50 for a single guide replacement...(i'm in canada...ripoffoff country lol)...

If it's a single foot guide, you can probably heat up the epoxy with a heat gun and just wiggle the guide out. Then get some 5 minute epoxy and slide a new guide back in, easy peasy. I've done many guides just like that. Unless they used a locking wrap, the guide really should come out leaving the epoxy tunnel intact.

thorhammer

Post pics; I also have a bunch of vintage thread and some unobtainable Gudebrod sent me by my man Harry K. Hey Harry!

Between Sheridan and me, we may be able to help.

pointbob

Quote from: thorhammer on December 13, 2022, 06:53:32 PMPost pics; I also have a bunch of vintage thread and some unobtainable Gudebrod sent me by my man Harry K. Hey Harry!

Between Sheridan and me, we may be able to help.

here's what it looks like...but with the old insert in it... 

pointbob

Quote from: Breadfan on December 13, 2022, 03:28:27 PM
Quote from: Breadfan on December 13, 2022, 03:27:45 PM

I think its a dbl foot guide....would it still work..your idea?