Fred’s Excellent Adventure in Ultrasonic Cleaners

Started by foakes, December 23, 2022, 10:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

3 weeks ago, I was finishing up a job of 7 restoration DQ's for a friend.  Was on the last reel, cleaning the parts.

Was up in the shop, ultrasonic cleaner going, tunes on, lights on.

All of the sudden the lights go off, and the ultrasonic cleaner stops.

Went downstairs and outside to the breaker panel.  Could not find any tripped breakers —- but reset each just in case it was a faulty breaker.  No joy —- still no power to the shop.

OK, checked receptacles, GFCI's —- all seemed good.  Hmmm...

Finally checked the auxiliary breakers in the stand-by generator switch box.  One was tripped —- reset it.

Back upstairs —- lights now work.  Turned on the US cleaner —- immediately heard a snap, crackle, and popping from the US cleaner.  Unplugged it immediately —- and I could smell electrical burning and see flames through the venting slots.

Blew out the flames and took the US cleaner outside and tossed it in the snow.

The US cleaner was a used L&R that I traded a Dental Equipment Supply house for about 22 years ago.  Never had an issue until now.

Got online and ordered one that about the same size. 6 liter, analog mechanical controls, all SS.  These are all made in Asia now —- and are much cheaper than 20 years ago.  $125 + tax, free shipping.  Came out of LA.

Got back from our Anniversary and fired it up to finish some reels.  It works about twice as effectively as my old one —-

We will see how long it will last.  So far, have completed another 14 reels —- about 4,896 to go to equal the L&R.

I never use the heat function.

My go-to cleaners are Simple Green cut 50/50 with water, Dawn HD dish soap with water, and for heavily grease encrusted metal parts —- Lacquer Thinner.

I am careful with all of these solutions and processes.

If one is serious about getting the parts as clean as possible on a reel, and wants to save 90% of their time, plus be more effective at getting into every tiny nook and cranny —- do yourself a favor and get one of these.

They just work.

Ohhh, and I salvaged the "D" knob and set screw from the old US cleaner for one of our 30 year old crockpots that had the knob broken off years ago.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

If you do a lot of reels, having a good one of these would be valuable.

Frank

thorhammer

I use mine on all sorts of things- wife's jewelry, crusty roller guide rollers, etc etc. SG and Dawn really will do the trick, though I will use heat to about 50 C to break really stubborn grease clods. I have a brick heater in the shop, so I stay away from solvents in there- just lighter fluid for bearings in a sealed jar with heater off. I'd caution against the heat on anything plastic: it can change colors, swell or get brittle especially with SG.

oldmanjoe

I have been on the fence for awhile to buy a sonic cleaner .   Now that I am closer to buying one ,I am wondering do i get a 6 Liter with 3 transducers 180 watts  or am i better off with a 10 Liter with 4 transducers and 240 watts of cleaning power .    Is it one of those things that i shudder done ?

It works about twice as effectively as my old one —-   
   Is that because of a number of transducers or is it a different of The cleaning frequency of 40kHz ?

The paint thinner and gasoline cleaning is getting old and hard on the hands ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

How's onea these do on rust and/or galvanic corrosion?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pointbob

biggest trick is to use a bowl in the cooker so you don't need as much cleaner.
Patience comes to those who wait

foakes

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 27, 2022, 03:08:10 PMI have been on the fence for awhile to buy a sonic cleaner .  Now that I am closer to buying one ,I am wondering do i get a 6 Liter with 3 transducers 180 watts  or am i better off with a 10 Liter with 4 transducers and 240 watts of cleaning power .    Is it one of those things that i shudder done ?

It works about twice as effectively as my old one —-   
  Is that because of a number of transducers or is it a different of The cleaning frequency of 40kHz ?

The paint thinner and gasoline cleaning is getting old and hard on the hands ...

You can figure out the best size, volume-wise, for your work.  The size I got seems to do fine for reel work and other small parts.  6 liter.

As for the wattage —- the higher the ultrasonic cleaning wattage compared to the size of the reservoir —- the more effective it will be.  I will never (maybe seldom) use the heating feature.  While effective, it is just another thing to fail prematurely —- and since I use a flammable liquid in an open jar within the reservoir —- very carefully —- The least amount of heat is preferable, at least for me.

The frequency and power of the transducers is key.

The cleaning is so easy and effective —- that I just took a break from working on reels until the new one came in.  Spoiled, I guess.  And way too much elbow work and mess — for a job that will seldom be as thorough as the US cleaner.  It is very quick and effective.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: pointbob on December 27, 2022, 05:13:11 PMbiggest trick is to use a bowl in the cooker so you don't need as much cleaner.

Bob is exactly right.  Use smaller jars (glass or plastic) within the reservoir so you don't waste the cleaning solution, and it can be used multiple times.  Only use glass jars like mayonnaise, jelly, or wide mouth pickle jars for solvents and thinners —- since plastic will not hold the solution without melting.  Put a lid back on the solvent (after cleaning, not during!)so that it doesn't evaporate, is safer, and doesn't smell.

I average 4-5 reels on each jar of lacquer thinner —- before straining it out with a coffee filter.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on December 27, 2022, 03:45:40 PMHow's onea these do on rust and/or galvanic corrosion?

It will clean the surface of the loose rust, Greg —-

But it will still take additional abrasive work to get down through the rust into good metals.  And while clean —- it will still be rust-pitted.

This is where good painting with quality paints or powder-coating comes in handy after removing the rust.

As for galvanic corrosion —- it will stop the process —- but not repair the damage.

I use vinegar to stop the Verdigris green corrosion —-

Once you practice with different solutions, times, and techniques —- you will figure out what works the best for your projects —- and end up only using 2 or 3 types of cleaners.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

I have one like Fred is showing.

When I do Shimano spinning reels after removing the parts and bearings I throw the entire rotor and reel body in simple green mix. It removes all of the built up dirt and grease. You can almost see the metallic finish
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

One more thing I forgot to point out —-

It is cheaper for a manufacturer to use digital or push-button controls —- but I like the analog (mechanical knobs) so much better.

I think they will last longer, less to go wrong, etc.

I just turn the timer dial knob to the minutes I want —- generally 10 —- and it automatically shuts down.  In the meantime, I am drinking my coffee and working on another reel.

Got to keep the line moving.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shellbelly

Quote from: foakes on December 23, 2022, 10:58:59 PMFinally checked the auxiliary breakers in the stand-by generator switch box.  One was tripped —- reset it.
Curious.  How did an overload get past your primary breaker and into the standby circuit with the transfer switch off?  Assuming the generator wasn't running.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

foakes

Another one of life's great mysteries...

I have yet to figure that one out.  Yes, the generator was off.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

tincanary

I have two of the same ultrasonic cleaners, well one is a smaller 3L I use specifically for side plates, frames, and handles.  They have held up well the last 5 years.  On the other hand, a friend of mine has a 10L and 6L, the 10L died and he bought another.  That too died all in about a year's time and he is on his third and it has been rather trouble free.  I feel these are nice for the money and do well.  I too prefer the analog knobs over the digital panel since the potentiometers are easily serviced.  A little Deoxit will clean and lube them should things get a little strange.

reelynew

Fred or Tincanary,

Have either of you tried firearm parts in this model ultra sonic cleaner or do they use a different frequency?

Thanks,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.