looking for some advice on Bay Area crab snaring

Started by reelynew, January 30, 2023, 04:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

Hi Guys,

Does anyone in this group crab snare from the beach in the Bay Area?  I'm looking for some advice on what gear you are using, where did you get your snares, beaches you like, bait and any other tips you might have. 

Would appreciate any advice or PM.

Thanks

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shellbelly

Quote from: reelynew on January 30, 2023, 04:10:28 AMcrab snare
I'd like to know about this as well.  In this area, we can use traps or baited hand-line.  The target is blue crab.  Crabbing is big fun for kids.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Alan Matsuno

Pacifica Pier.  Rusty Bait and Tackle.  Use chicken legs, otherwise you are feeding seals.

Shellbelly

Search "crab net".  You'll find all kinds.  I suggest metal crab tongs as well.  As for cleaning them, gloves and youtube video. 

I clean mine at the water, then finish at home.  What goes in the water attracts bait and so on.  Sometimes I would get a flounder or two out of the deal.

Also, check your state and local regulations.  We have a minimum size limit here for blue crab.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Hardy Boy

They are illegal here in BC. Some stores were selling them and then folks started getting tickets. You can't say I bought it in the store so it must be legal. They do work though.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Shellbelly

Quote from: Hardy Boy on January 30, 2023, 09:34:56 PMThey are illegal here in BC.
Any idea why?  I mean, not as many folks take crabs "manually" anymore.  Wouldn't seem to be an impact. 

I could throw out a trap and get a couple dozen AND fish at the same time.  Grab a crab from the trap and put it on a hook, too.  It's just too easy.

Swami805

What do the snares look like?  We can't use them south of point conception

Shellbelly

Quote from: Swami805 on January 31, 2023, 12:50:38 AMWhat do the snares look like?
I'm not sure that "snares" is the more common name.  Look up "crab net".  There are many types under that name. 

Basically, it's a hoop net that lays flat on the bottom with bait tied and laying in the middle.  The crab gets on the net and you pull it up.  That type works best from piers or decks where it's a vertical drop.

A trap is a wire or net enclosure, round or square, with bait inside.  Crab goes in and can't get out.  AKA crab pot.  Much more efficient and productive....just not as much fun.

As kids, we used kite string.  Tied an old spark plug to the deep end and hitched a chicken neck near the weight.  Hitched the land end to a stick in the sand.  Give it a little slack and wait until it goes tight.
Pull ever so slowly and get the crab net, the kind with a long handle, scoop 'em up and learn how to not get pinched. 

Then take a sip of your bottled coke with salted peanuts poured in it.  Life is good. 

reelynew

Quote from: Shellbelly on January 30, 2023, 02:59:44 PM
Quote from: reelynew on January 30, 2023, 04:10:28 AMcrab snare
I'd like to know about this as well.  In this area, we can use traps or baited hand-line.  The target is blue crab.  Crabbing is big fun for kids.

Here's a photo of one.  The baited wired box is surrounded with snares to grab their claws. 

reelynew

Quote from: Alan Matsuno on January 30, 2023, 05:49:42 PMPacifica Pier.  Rusty Bait and Tackle.  Use chicken legs, otherwise you are feeding seals.

Thanks Alan - I will check out Rusty's  for a snare.  I like the idea of fishing from a beach as well.  My original rod for crabbing is way too stiff and it's hard to load up the tip to cast.  If you crab snare, what rod are you using?

Swami805

Thanks for the picture, I get it now
We use hoop nets for lobster here, but can't use snares
I've heard of people using nylon stockings stuffed with bait and some weight for lobster, they spines get stuck on it. I don't think it's legal though.

oc1

I made a snare for Samoan crabs based on some random picture off the internet.  It was interesting casting that thing.  Used my longest and beefiest surf outfit. Never caught a thing but I didn't stick with it for long.

Hardy Boy

We can use hoop nets but not snares as pictured above. They can damage non legal crabs ie breaking off legs etc. Hoop nets are great for catching crab fast but you have to pull them often so most here use traps.

Todd
Todd

alantani

my brother had me make the "snare" portion out of 100# mono.  i have all the crimps so it was easy. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!