outsiderskip

i services my reels about every 4th trips
some time fortnightly as i try get out 3 times a week trolling
my drags has become jerky and have replace my washes regurally
as i lock my reels up fairly tight when trolling
any one got any idea how i can get smooth drags again
  pete

Bryan Young

Are you using dry HT-100s?  If so, you need to grease them with Cals' Universal and Drag Grease.  It will make a world of difference.

Dawn at SmoothDrags still has them.  Contact Dawn at www.SmoothDrags.com.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

outsiderskip

i using a bit off grease  on each washer

Bryan Young

What kind of grease are you using on the drag washers? 

Are you just adding a bit a grease or coating the washers entirely?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

outsiderskip

coat washes entirely
cant see where washers are on smoothdrag.com

Bryan Young

outsiderskip

i just got new penn washes greased them up with reel grease
why would i need new washers then
pete

Bryan Young

Oh, when you said Smooth Drag, I though you were referring to SmoothDrag.

What kind of reel grease are you using on the drag washers?  Is it Teflon?  If not, that is your problem.  I recommend getting Cal's Universal and Drag Grease, and the drags smoothness should last you at least 3-6 months under heavy fishing, in not longer.

outsiderskip

grease im using is called reel lube plus
liquilon improved
came with reels when i bought them
pete

day0ne

Quote from: outsiderskip on February 25, 2012, 10:49:22 PM
grease im using is called reel lube plus
liquilon improved
came with reels when i bought them
pete

I doubt it is the correct grease for drags. Either Cals, or Shimano drag grease. It has to be grease made for drags. Regular grease doesn't work well. I would replace any washers with plain reel grease on them
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

Reel lube is good for everything except the drags.  The drags require pure teflon grease, like Cal's, Shimano, and a few others.  That is why your drags are sticky after a few trips.  The seem smooth when you change and grease your drags, but on a good run, they get sticky, and pop, fish gets off or line breaks.

outsiderskip

redsetta

I order from Dawn at Smooth Drag - she posts to NZ and it works out cheaper than buying here.
Cal's Universal Reel & Drag Grease: 1oz $7.00 / 1lb $24.00
http://www.smoothdrag.com/order.html
If you're on the east coast, however, I've heard Maroochydore Fishing World has drag grease (ph (07) 5479 3654).
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

hi. yes at jack erskine in cairns.$16 an ounce.also at bluewater tackle.inox mx6 does same job at 1/2 the price.

wallacewt

hi outsiderskip
my 375g of mx6 arrived just after i answered your ?
$24.50+$10.05postage thats in wa.cals cost $180+postage if you buy 1oz at a time
where are you?