Sealine X 40 drive shaft bearing

Started by snappercatcher, February 28, 2012, 04:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snappercatcher

I have an old sealine-x 40 that I have cleaned up but the bearings are shot. I can get the spool bearings from Smoothdrag but the drive shaft bearing is the one I'm having trouble replacing. Any help appreciated
Also I'm in New Zealand so cost of shipping is also a factor, I've always looked after my reels but couldn't keep these ones from corroding, guess the reel is 15 yrs old?? about

alantani

if you can get me the dimensions, i can get one out to you.  i'm surprised they are not available locally, though. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

snappercatcher

Quote from: alantani on February 28, 2012, 05:18:12 AM
if you can get me the dimensions, i can get one out to you.  i'm surprised they are not available locally, though.  

I probably could Alan, there is a tackle shop here that supplies reel bearings and they get them from Smoothdrag but only when there are sufficient orders, but Smoothdrag only have the spool bearings for this reel. The quality of bearings here is not consistent. I was speaking with a buddy tonight who has a Penn Spinfisher and he has had to swap his bearings  out a few times from a local bearing company and was at odds to why the quality is so hit and miss? I don't have calipers unfortunately could i use a ruler? or is that just not accurate enough?
Cheers
Rod

alantani

a ruler will be fine.  the dimensions will be in whole millimeters.  i'm actually guessing that the bearing will be an 8x14x4.  it's important to make sure that you have abec-5 bearings that are all stainless steel. 

redsetta

G'day Rod, PM me the dimensions and I'll get it for you.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

snappercatcher

Quote from: redsetta on February 28, 2012, 09:27:09 PM
G'day Rod, PM me the dimensions and I'll get it for you.
Cheers, Justin
Thanks Justin
I will let you know in once I've measured it

Rod :)

snappercatcher

The dimensions are 8x16x4 for the drive bearing, the spool bearings are 4x11x4 & 7x14x5
Im not sure if i'm meant to measure to the outside of the bearing but thats what i came with
Cheers

redsetta

alantani

thanks, guys.  let me know if you have any problems with this.

redsetta

QuoteIm not sure if i'm meant to measure to the outside of the bearing but thats what i came with...
I'm afraid I overlooked this.
Bearings are measured by ID x OD x width.
Is that what you've given in the earlier measurements?
Cheers, Justin

snappercatcher

Yes I double checked that this was the correct way to measure them

Cheers :)

d = Inside diameter
D = Outside diameter
B/T = Width diameter

redsetta

Great. They arrived this morning - have 'em with me now.
I'm in meetings all day today and at a conference in Wellington all next week, so collect 'em either tomorrow or over the weekend - will PM my phone number now.
Cheers, Justin

snappercatcher

Thanks Justin
Tomorrows good  :) will call later tonight

Rod

snappercatcher

p
Quote from: alantani on February 29, 2012, 06:37:39 AM
thanks, guys.  let me know if you have any problems with this.
By the way Alan out of curiosity, how many people from down under are on this site? As Athur C Clarke predicted the world will become a much smaller place thanks to advances in communication  ;D

alantani

hard to say.  the map offers some indication.  most are from the us or europe.