getting ready for cedros!

Started by alantani, July 21, 2023, 01:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

housekeeping items

when - meeting time, monday, july 24th, 2023, 8am

where - CBX (cross border express) otay mesa, california.  parking can be challenging.  it's a paid parking lot.  please arrive early.

what to bring - weight is a huge factor.  we will be flying in a cessna grand caravan 14-seater.  i wear flip-flops the whole time, lightweight fishing cargo shorts, quick dry long sleeve shirts and a big straw hat.  the only clothes that i come back with is what i'm wearing on the return flight.  i leave the toiletries. 

fishing tackle - let's keep it light.  for fishing rods, i'd recommend two 50-pound reels, one long rod for casting jigs and one rod for live bait and trolling.  you can bring a lighter 30 pound rig if you wish.  four rods is really too much.  for jigs and terminal tackle, you should be able to fit all of it in a 1 gallon zip lock bag.  small 1/0 or 2/0 live bait hooks are all you need for live mackerel fly line or slow trolling.  a couple of small rapalas are nice.  maybe 3 yoyo irons, 3 surface irons and 4 of the 3-4 ounce megabaits, 4 of the 3-4 ounce swimbait heads with a half dozen swimbait tails and a pair of pliers.  we will be making bait every morning, so four sabiki rigs with four 8 ounce weights will cover you.  i bring the rods and reels back home with me.  i usually leave the tackle with the captain on the last day.  they really appreciate it.

there is a small tackle shop on the island that one of the captains owns.  the prices really aren't that bad.  your driver should be able to make a detour, no problem. he will also know where to pick up tequila!

fish handling - we will be tagging our own fish. the guys up the hill will vacuum pack and freeze it for you.  we will be bringing it back in insulated cooler bags. on the return flight, they will weigh all of our luggage.  everything except the rods and reels.  then they will figure out how much fish we can bring back.  one year, we were able to bring back 50 pounds each.  i would like a repeat of that year, so please pack light.

tips - the total for the trip is $3309 per person.  15% of that is $500, 18% is $600.  there are only two people per boat, so please tip the captains $50-60 per person.  the remainder, please leave for the ground crew.  they will collect tips the last evening, so what i do is set aside the total amount that i am going to tip in an envelope, tip the captains at the end of every day and then leave the balance for the ground crew on the last evening.  there will be ALOT of people involved in taking care of us the week, so please let's take care of them. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

from rosie......

QuoteRosie Flowers <rosie@cedrossportfishing.com>
To:
Cedros Sportfishing

Thu, Jul 28 at 10:10 AM

Tidbits of Information

NO REELS WITH LINE THROUGH TSA CHECK. Please put them in your checked baggage.

Please remember, on the return flight there is a 72# weight limit.  Pack light!  We try to get you home with as much fish as possible.

I have put this "Tidbits of Information" together for those questions that are frequently asked.
These snippets are in no particular order...just random thoughts that might help.

PASSPORTS ARE REQUIRED

CBX Passes are provided. If you lose your pass, you are responsible to purchase a new one. ($30 roundtrip, $16 one way)

Please bring your own rod and reel setups. 

I have this next section in the Final Roll Call, but it is by far the most asked question...
Gratuity is a personal thing and at times a tough conversation. With that being said, I'm going to tell you what we do and then please do what feels comfortable to you.
We tip 18%-20% of the cost of the trip.  I take 20's, 10's and 5's and I bring my "Gratuity Envelope".  Each day we take $35-$40 per person for our panga captain. (Each panga captain should receive $100-$120 a day in gratuity. Be mindful if you have requested to fish 2 per panga, the panga captain should still receive $100-$120 a day.) On the day of arrival, 1/2 day fishing, $10-$15 per person for the panga captain is fair.
If you are having Flor wash your laundry, please put it in the white bag and on your bed in the morning with $2 or $3 per item.
At the end of the trip, whatever is left in the envelope we brought, I put it in the provided "gratuity envelope"  for the tip jar that will be in the dining room on the last evening.
I hope this helps and like I said, this is just a guideline.

You have the opportunity to fish San Benitos Island. It is off the north point of Cedros and takes an hour and a half to get there.  With that being said, there is a $100 fuel surcharge payable to the Panga Captain and you must leave San Benitos Island by 3pm to return to Cedros Island. (San Benitos is the "Jurassic Park" of Calico Bass.)

Cedros Sportfishing is an All-Inclusive fishing adventure.
Alcohol and Gratuity are not included.
Not all cellular phone plans are created equally! Check with your carrier to avoid roaming charges, or put your phone in "Airplane Mode".

We have bottled water available.
Use bottled water for brushing your teeth.

Use the ice cubes from the kitchen refrigerator.
When drinking anything from a can, please wipe off any residual ice water from drinking area.
The small fridge by the coffee maker in the dining room has sodas, gatorades and bottled water.

Please don't be shy, ask the crew for anything you need.
Richard is our host and translator.
If you want anything from town (beer, tequila, rum, tortillas), please let Richard know and he will be happy to drive you.

FYI - When taking new rods or reels to the island, be mindful to take the reels out of the new boxes and price tags off of everything.  This has never happened to anyone in our groups, but we just heard of an angler who was going to La Paz, took a new reel with him, still in the box with the price tag, and customs charged him an import fee.

I have an APP on my phone that does the dollars to pesos conversion. It's Dollars to Pesos by Adiante Ventures

Please tip your panga captain daily as you may have a different captain the next day. For the most part, you will have the same captain.  On the last morning after breakfast, or the final dinner, our crew will have a gratuity jar available in the dining room.
We have a minimum of 10 crew members to serve you.
They will accept Dollars or Pesos for gratuity.

*Housekeeping will service your rooms daily.
There are towels in your room.
Your rooms have blow dryers. (You're welcome ladies! ;o) )
The outlets and electricity are the same as the U.S.
***Please note: No toilet paper in the toilets.  Please use the covered trash can in your bathroom. They will be changed daily.

No rod tubes.  Please use rod sleeves and bundle your rods together or you can wrap your rods with beach towels.

Please pack light. (You don't need to bring your 60# SKB tackle box) We fit everything for 2 of us in a small soft sided tackle box and our reels go in a duffle bag. There is a tackle shop on the island. Richard can get a hold of them if you need anything.
You will also need a few sinkers. The most used are: 2oz, 4oz, 6oz

Again, pack light. We have a daily laundry service available. Please put your laundry in the white bag provided and put it on the end of your bed.

Our cooks serve local favorites, the same dishes they serve their own families. If you are fortunate enough to share a fish with the kitchen...ask for ceviche, it is wonderful! And yes! You have to put the mayonnaise on the chips...yum! Chips are made fresh daily. Dang they're good.

The tortillas are made fresh daily on the island and are epic! Best I've ever had!
On one trip, we took over 40 packages home! Yes, seriously... Take some home!

Breakfast, Lunch, Snack and Dinner Daily.
Lunch will be packed to go on the pangas.

3 anglers per pangas and they have flat bottoms.

Bring Sabiki's for making bait.
Bring 3-4 rod and reel combinations, hooks, lures (light & heavy), plastics, weedless and regular leadheads. Please check our website under GEAR. www.cedrossportfishing.com

The crew will rinse your gear clean after returning everyday.
Fish processing is included and all fish will be frozen.
Do not bring a cooler to the island, but please have a cooler in your car at your drop off point.

There are 99 steps down to the beach. The steps are by the BBQ area.
There are mosquitoes and if you are like me, you'll want to bring insect repellant or wear long sleeves. I even have to spray my toes and feet.

Rosie Flowers
General Manager
Cedros Sportfishing BCM, LLC
rosie@cedrossportfishing.com

619-772-7570
19957 Harrison Avenue
City of Industry, CA 91789

alantani

on this page are several reports.  take a look! here is the last one. 

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,34510.0.html

alantani

here's what the flight looks like!

El Pescador

Alan,

When you have a quiet moment, we here LUV to hear what gear - in general - you and the gang brought for this fishing trip.

https://www.cedrossportfishing.com/gear.php

They recommend level-wind TRANX reels, which to me is a SUPER SIZED Bass Fishing reel, BUTT who knows.

Have a great trip, eat like the locals - it does make all the difference.

FISH ON!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

MarkT

I use a TranX 500 HG as my surface iron reel. I use it for Wahoo bombs on 10 day trips too. I take an Lexa 400 too. I've been taking 3 rigs... 2-speed w/50# for YT bait, yo-yo, dropper loop, trolling. TranX 500 on a 9' rod for surface iron, Lexa 400 on a 9' rod for bass.

Alan said use 1/0 & 2/0 hooks for fishing Mac's? Too small for Mac's! We aren't fishing with Sardines! Use a 4/0 minimum. I usually use an 8/0 circle although Javier thought it was too big and wanted a 4/0. I'll take some 4/0 & 8/0 this year.

I pretty much just fish for YT so I don't need much tackle. Hooks, a Sabiki for each day, a couple of yo-yo jigs, some Salas 7x surface irons, a Rapala xrap 20, sinkers for making bait and dropper loop... that's pretty much it for Yellowtail. YMMV, but then I'm not Tequila, I'm not trying to make everyone happy!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

Headed to West Covina with Tracy Wong and Ender Negiz to pick up Warren Hamachi!

alantani

Miguel's!!!20230723_172531.jpg

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Brewcrafter

Tight Lines guys!  Looking forward to a great report! - john

Cor

Get some of those 25 lb + Yellowtails.....good fun to catch! ;D
Cornelis

Donnyboat

good luck to every one, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

The Baja Guy

alantani

Skid row!