dragmaster carbon fiber drags

Started by Toehi, March 02, 2012, 04:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toehi

Any one used them? Good? Bad? Ugly? :D  I run Carbontex in my Newells and like them, any reviews on the Dragmasters?  Thanks!

alantani

carbon fiber is carbon fiber is carbon fiber.  i'm sure his product is as good as penn's, or smoothdrag's, or anyone elses.  no one here is ever obligated to use one product over another, but it would be very tough for me to ever leave smoothdrag.....  

one thing i did notice was that he has carbon fiber for the three washers inside the main gear and a hard fiber washer underneath.  for me, that would be a deal breaker, but it wouldn't take more than a phone call for him to have that fourth drag washer made if he really wanted to. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Jimmer

I have installed over a hundred of these with no problems, so I would say good.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Bryan Young

USA made, as it's stated.  I'm sure they are okay, but cannot seem a path to buy them directly from Dragmaster. 

I like Smoothdrag because I can go straight to the source if need be.  Local stores carry them as well, same price, so no need to go elsewhere.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jimmer

Sorry, I thought the question was if anyone had used dragmasters washers, not if we like Dawn at smoothdrag. I think dragmaster is a proprietary product of Tuna's Reel Troubles in Ludington, MI. I think Alan said it best, carbon fiber is carbon fiber, the stuff they use looks to have a slightly finer weave than HT-100. Pauly would probably make under gear washers if you requested them.

alantani

as far as i know, all the carbon fiber in this country is made by one company, ballard, inc., in massachusetts.  never heard of this product until now, but i am certain that the dragmaster product would be fine.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

Quote from: alantani on March 02, 2012, 05:50:48 AM
carbon fiber is carbon fiber is carbon fiber.  i'm sure his product is as good as penn's, or smoothdrag's, or anyone elses.  

Surprisingly, no- All carbon fiber is definitely NOT the same. They can differ quite a bit.

However, luckily most types used by reel manufacturers are of similar type and performance.

Makule

Quote from: Robert Janssen on June 04, 2012, 11:54:07 AM
Surprisingly, no- All carbon fiber is definitely NOT the same. They can differ quite a bit.

However, luckily most types used by reel manufacturers are of similar type and performance.

I've used a product called, "Dragon Plate" for drag disks and it seems to be doing fine.  The company goes into detail about how their product is superior but, not being really familiar with carbon fiber products, don't know if it's any better than whatever else is on the market.

What is necessary for carbon fiber to be used for drag disks?  What should be avoided?  How can one determine "quality"?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Jimmer

Drag masters are made of carbon fiber from ballard.

RowdyW

Quote from: alantani on March 02, 2012, 05:50:48 AM
carbon fiber is carbon fiber is carbon fiber.  i'm sure his product is as good as penn's, or smoothdrag's, or anyone elses.  no one here is ever obligated to use one product over another, but it would be very tough for me to ever leave smoothdrag.....  

one thing i did notice was that he has carbon fiber for the three washers inside the main gear and a hard fiber washer underneath.  for me, that would be a deal breaker, but it wouldn't take more than a phone call for him to have that fourth drag washer made if he really wanted to. 
They are now shipping with a CF for under the main gear. Quick service too.    Rudy

borchcl

A guy asked me to sevice his reel with some parts and Dragmaster washers he had gotten from Tunatroubles reel parts in MI. It went well, had carbonfiber under washer. If Dawn quit selling wahers, I would have no problem changing. But I hope I don't have to.
Charlie

keneke

I recently tried to buy a set of drag washers from Dragmaster on Eb*y because I am a newb on here and didn't know about Smoothdrag at the time. After some time waiting for it to arrive, I checked the tracking info and it said it was delivered. So I got on Eb*y and decided to send the seller a message which I did  and also saw the rating link so I gave the seller a neutral rating. Well the next day I get a somewhat heated email from Dragmaster sayng that he gets up in the morning and gets a "resolve the issue" email and a neutral rating. Now to me a neutral rating is not bad and it was just "saying" I did not receive anything. Who knows, maybe the neighbors were playing pogs with them? So anyway the email from Dragmaster continues that he was upset about the neutral rating and that he didn't feel like "...going the extra mile". He went on and said, "As it stands in black and white, that it was delivered." He ends the email with that which more or less is saying I lost the $ I spent for the drag washers and the shipping. I will never buy anything from this person/company again since Ebay's system is set up in the way you are asked to give a rating, (neutral, in this case) and also to resolve things. That is the way I saw it and a neutral rating isn't a negative mark on Dragmaster. Oh well!

Keta

The exact opposite of my dealing with Smooth Drag.  Were you dealing with Dragonmaster or someone selling their products?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I can see him getting upset about the Neutral rating. People work hard to keep their 100% feedback rating.. If it were me, I would have filed a dispute. You have buyer protection to cover this.
Then maybe your drags would have showed up and you could have left a positive rating for something that was out of the sellers control. Plus, you would have gotten your drags. That's the way I see it.
Life is Good!