430SS: But I Don't Need Another Light Spinning Reel :)

Started by Paul Roberts, August 14, 2023, 09:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

"I don't need another light spinning reel." That's what I'd said when I collected my last L spinning reel, a Shakespeare 2400 -you know, the (cough) blue one. I already find it tough enough trying to decide which one to use on a given outing. My L spinning reel duties are well covered with: an ABU C3, a Shakespeare Sigma 2200-035, a Daiwa SS1300, and an A&F 200/6. I really don't need another L spinning reel.

But... I was in an antiques shop the other day and, there it was: a Penn 430SS, for $25. There was no hesitation. And I had ample justification. Back in the mid 80's I worked full-time in a large tackle shop. I still use most of the reels, rods, and lures I'd acquired there. One reel I did not acquire then was the 430SS. I wasn't a big Penn fan, feeling that their spinners were too heavy, and a bit gaudy for my taste. I did, however, respect them for their top notch engineering, materials, and functionality. They were -and still are- great reels and I recommended them to customers without hesitation. I just didn't care to own one -except for the 430.

The 430 is proportionally perfect, I thought. The larger versions got big and heavy quick, and the 420 had too small a spool for the reel's weight. But the 430... was perfect. Maybe the best reel in the case. I didn't buy one though. I'd already had my L spinning reel duties covered. I have always felt, however, that if I were to acquire another spinning reel -of any size- it would be a 430SS. Just to have one.

Occasionally, I get the urge to check them out on-line, always finding them going for too much for me to justify another L spinning reel. They now often go for more, sometimes much more, than they originally sold for when new. So, I just let the idea go, until yesterday when I saw one affixed to an old low-end tubular glass rod for $25. SOLD!!!

It was mechanically all there, of course, and generally in good, average to light use, condition. Looked like factory brown grease? Some paint was chipped in the usual places. So, during tear-down, I repainted it. I seriously considered going full "serious stealth black" with it, but I decided to hold off on all the masking required, and just went with the VHT Wrinkle finish I like so much.

I did find that the drag wouldn't tighten down far enough for back-reeling. I also had a bit of a challenge with the anti-reverse mechanism. And the bail trip mechanism in the rotor wings -the levers and spring- were a bit of a puzzle. I'd not photo'd things as well as I should have during tear-down. All three issues were solved via schematic: The drag disks were out of order. The AR and bail trip mech's had to be spelled out for me. Luckily the Penn folks did a great job on the schematic, even offering a blow-up on the AR mech. Not all companies do such a good job supporting service work. Obviously, Penn expected their reels to be worth the time and effort to service into the future.

There was also a slight ringing sound coming at the bottom of the oscillation, the spool just touching the rotor. So I cut a shim from thin hard polypropylene to lift the spool slightly.

When good lighting returns, I'll add a few better photos. I may just go full serious stealth with it in the future. For now, it looks nearly new and functions... perfectly.

Woodpuppy

Great find! I'd still like to have one of those. Have 716z and 714z reels on rods and running smooth, but I've always liked the skirted spool reels too.

sandbar

There goes the prices again 🤷�♂️
They shot thru the roof recently on EBay. I'm glad I have been preparing for this inevitable event.
Great reels.
The very first reel I ever purchased many years ago and it has caught numerous redfish, trout, black drum,  Flounder, jacks, whiting and regrettably saltwater catfish over many years.

foakes

Terrific Job, Paul!!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Lucky you, Paul, nice find! Most antique & collectible stores around my area use eBay to price their reels & other tackle so deals like that are really tough to come by nowadays!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

Thanks guys. I was pretty happy to find it, get it home, and open it up to see what I had.

Tom, I've found pretty much the same here. But some slip through. I once found a 716 for $2! The shop I found the 430 in generally has eBay prices on tackle. The particular vendor had not bothered to go through the mostly low end rods and reels he'd recently acquired from an estate sale, I was told.

As to eBay prices, they were already high, as mentioned. Interest in the small Penn spinners is not news.

reelynew

Nice work Paul.  That textured paint looks great. 
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Bryan Young

Amazing find and great job on the refinishing. I hope to be lucky some day to find a treasure like you had and paint it cans apple red sigh glitter flakes because that's how I roll. 🤙🏽🤣
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 29, 2023, 04:41:47 PMAmazing find and great job on the refinishing. I hope to be lucky some day to find a treasure like you had and paint it cans apple red sigh glitter flakes because that's how I roll. 🤙🏽🤣

I just pictured a Penn 430SS or 712z with red candy apple paint with glitter flakes and It would look pretty cool
The Baja Guy

Paul Roberts

I refuse to imagine such a thing! 😅 Stealth black I say! 8)

sandbar

JasonGotaProblem

You guys are giving me ideas. I got a 712z that looks like a lawnmower got it. I think it's a candidate.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ourford

There's always that guy on Ebay...
Vic