Hard choice

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 22, 2023, 01:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I miss your hot sauce, it was first class.

Unfortunatly I do not have any aluminum 349/349H spools that are not on reels but I think I have a unwarped bronze one.  I will check when I get home from Illinois on 9/1.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 23, 2023, 02:05:36 PMI see a few newell spools on eBay but they all look to be the "wide" version.

Got a spare one you wanna sell? I can sweeten the deal with more of that green sauce.
Can you tell me, what alum. spool you're looking for?
There's some of those 49/349 reels/parts over here by me. I actually saw one dirt cheap, all worked up, but I really have no use for this deep water stuff!
It was up on FBMP, but it was a cash pick up only, and I truly have no luck re-selling anything, at least for a profit anyway lol!
Can take a look for you again, might be taking a long ride, for a rod in the next day or two Jason

ExcessiveAngler

Just found this one, doesn't seem too bad with a best offer option and free 2-4 day shipping, out in Cali. Hmmmmm!

ourford

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 23, 2023, 12:24:27 AMI'm booking the Atlantic option. It's "ocean obsession II" out of port canaveral. Booking for Sept 2nd. Correction though Its a 9hr not a 10hr
Someone recommended it to me once but I never made it, looks like a good time. Alas I'm no longer physically able. Have a great time and give us a report. They have 12 hr. "jigging" only trips the next one being on September 7.
Vic

Keta

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on August 23, 2023, 09:20:33 PMJust found this one, doesn't seem too bad with a best offer option and free 2-4 day shipping, out in Cali. Hmmmmm!

Good price, I would jump on it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

I was looking at it but it looks like the wider version. To answer the previous question I want a newell aluminum spool in standard width or narrow. I was gonna contact them and ask, but I have no disposable income til after the trip.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

"Standard" 349/349H are narrow, Jigmaster 501 width.  If it is a YT special spool you can use it to trade for a 349/349H width aluminum spool.

Or you could ask the seller what the width is.

Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

1 storm might not screw up a trip. 2 has me a bit nervous.

Wolfram M

I'm looking forward to your trip out-I am looking at what the atlantic coast will be like in October, when I get to come down next.

JasonGotaProblem

So this is gonna be interesting. 3 named storms in the Atlantic as of now. Forecast is for 20mph winds day of the trip. So I'm expecting rough seas.

Reading what i can find, it seems the consensus is that trolling and other shallow types of fishing die after a storm but bottom fishing around structure picks up. So i guess we'll see.

My hope is that all the tourists and weak-willed locals get scared away, and just enough people remain that they don't cancel the trip but it isnt crowded. A fella can hope, right?

If im gonna reschedule, i need to do it today. So if anyone has any pertinent advice to add, I would love to hear it.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 31, 2023, 02:18:33 PMSo this is gonna be interesting. 3 named storms in the Atlantic as of now. Forecast is for 20mph winds day of the trip. So I'm expecting rough seas.

Reading what i can find, it seems the consensus is that trolling and other shallow types of fishing die after a storm but bottom fishing around structure picks up. So i guess we'll see.

My hope is that all the tourists and weak-willed locals get scared away, and just enough people remain that they don't cancel the trip but it isnt crowded. A fella can hope, right?

If im gonna reschedule, i need to do it today. So if anyone has any pertinent advice to add, I would love to hear it.

if I were you I would reschedule the trip, in my current personal position (family and job dont gave me as much time for fishing as few years ago) I like to have all the odds in favor when I go fishing but mostly a nice weather because of the reason you pointed out, not much action on the surface will make it a bottom fishing trip as the only option which is not that bad but its nice to have two or more spots to move and try different techniques as trolling, surface irons, jigging, etc.

check in your area and ask the boat capitan how the FULL moon affect fishing there, in my area full moon means a really strong currents which difficult the use of knife speed jigs, surface action remain good and if you want to try bottom fishing you have use a lot Weight to keep the bait on the targeted area.
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

To clarify: Spring tides (the big ones) happen on both the full moon and the new moon, incrementally  ramping up and down as you get closer/ farther from the date.  In an area  with big tide swings where you want to avoid strong currents, you want to go closer to the neap tide (quarter moon) dates. 

Time of day for the tides can matter too.  If a big chunk of the time when your gear is in the water is happening on the slack (top or bottom of a) tide, the bite can slow, and drifts can get slow.  My apologies if I am covering  stuff that you are already familiar  with.

On when to go, I am generally in the "just, go when you can" camp, but like Alex, I would probably make an exception here. If the fishery is pretty heavily pressured, and you are sharing a boat with 40 or so others, it is probably worth it to pick a day that might improve your odds a little if you  don't get to go often.  The day trip party boat bottomfish reports from FL coasts usually look pretty tough.

-J

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on August 31, 2023, 06:23:33 PMTo clarify: Spring tides (the big ones) happen on both the full moon and the new moon, incrementally  ramping up and down as you get closer/ farther from the date.  In an area  with big tide swings where you want to avoid strong currents, you want to go closer to the neap tide (quarter moon) dates. 

you're right amigo, high tide have two big peaks on a month, one is on full moon and the other one on new moon  :fish

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

I just called the charter. They say it's 50/50 right now whether they'll cancel. The Friday trip is already cancelled.

God at this point I'm not sure which option I'm rooting for.

JasonGotaProblem

I'm officially rescheduled for next Saturday. I think and hope I made the right call. Seems to be a theme.