Hard choice

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 22, 2023, 01:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I'm gonna go on another 10hr for my birthday. It's a toss up between going back on the same one I went on before, or heading east to go on one in the Atlantic. I'm thinking pros and cons here.

For the one I already went on, I already know exactly what to expect. It's not far from home, either. Last time I packed gear that was too heavy for what we actually found. This time I'd pack appropriately. Seeing others slaying it i already know these guys can put you on some fish. But red snapper season is closed in the gulf, and FWC just abruptly closed red grouper harvest as well (it was probably a good long term move for the fishery, is what i keep telling myself) but last time there was only one keeper grouper pulled up for the whole boat, and only a dozen or so red snapper for the whole boat. So it's not a major loss for that trip. Their longer trips are probably harder hit.

If I head east, the charter costs less (but it's close to the difference in gas cost so that balances out) and it leaves an hour later in the morning which is a big deal considering I almost slept thru the last one. Because it gets deeper closer to shore in the Atlantic and they claim their boat is quite fast, the end result is that trip will be fishing in 100'-180' when the one here didn't go deeper than 80' (their literature said they go deeper but I have metered braid and i have my doubts). This increases the odds of finding something big, I assume, but now it's sort of back to an unknown. And on the atlantic side grouper is still in season and red snapper is open year round. They also have no rules against braid and said i can bring as many rods as i want.
But it goes out Saturday not Sunday so i would have to leave immediately after work Friday to get to my parents house (20mi south of the dock) before i fall asleep from work-exhaustion. There's also the added difficulty of either packing to bring the family east or leaving the small children for my wife to manage alone for several days. And the with regards to the actual experience on the boat, the gulf is generally calm unless its stormy. The Atlantic is the Atlantic. But it's a fishing trip not a pleasure cruise.

So i can make an argument for either side. Does anyone with more experience have any insight here?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

The closed fishery would rule out the gulf trip for me.  Take the family to visit with your parents and have a fun, safe and productive trip.  Is there any way you could take Friday off or leave early?

However I fish the North Pacific and Gulf of Alaska, rough conditions are more common than not so ocean conditions are not a big deal for me.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thrasher

Which boat on the east coast are you considering?

Squidder Bidder

It seems like either is going to be reef and wreck fishing exclusively? Probably tuned for guys who like to jig?

Restrictions on braid in 2023, as well as the possibilities of what may be out there in the Gulf Stream proper has me leaning towards the Atlantic Ocean party boat trip.

steelfish

without knowing any of those places If I were you, I would take the Atlantic trip, just for the reason to fish in a new place, remember that half of the joy of fishing is the trip itself, knowing new places, new landscapes, the new adventure, if the end result of the trip is similar to the last trip well at least you now know two fishing spots and two fishing boats, that will give you "points" on your gained "fishing experience" and it will open your mind even more so you can be more prepared for the next fishing adventure.
if you repeat the same fishing trip it will be as you said, you already know what to expect which is not bad at all but in my case I will always chose the new spot if I had the option.

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

I'm booking the Atlantic option. It's "ocean obsession II" out of port canaveral. Booking for Sept 2nd. Correction though Its a 9hr not a 10hr

Keta

Have a safe and productive trip.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shellbelly

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Shellbelly on August 23, 2023, 12:46:38 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 22, 2023, 01:06:12 PMThis time I'd pack appropriately.
What are you gonna pack?
For sure my everol 12/20, my accurate 270 magnum, my spheros 4000 xgsw, and probably my fin nor lt100. I'm also considering building a 4/0 senator to take along. I've been talking about it for 4 months now.

Keta

Get your 349/349H together and take it rather than the 4/0. Let me know if you need the parts I have.

Mark Twain

Squidder Bidder

Is it customary to fish more than one rod simultaneously down there? I assume you need a 4/0 or something similar matched with a rod on the stout side to horse a possible lunker Grouper off of the wreck/reef bottom. Then a jigging setup for more active fishing - and the spinning outfit to be prepared for possible topwater/upper water column action like blackfin or dorado.

Do the party boats live chum on the reefs/wrecks?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Keta on August 23, 2023, 02:17:24 AMGet your 349/349H together and take it rather than the 4/0. Let me know if you need the parts I have.
Good idea. I went ahead and did it. Steel gears steel sleeve and 5 stack drag. I have a tiburon 4/0 handle around somewhere. Are there any other spool options? I'm not a fan of this heavy 3-piece spool. Plus I think mine is a tad out of square. Definitely fishable but freespool sucks.

Donnyboat

If I were you I would take a Penn 49, its a bit larger than a 349 & just as strong, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Keta

Not true, the gears, gearsleeves, drag washers handle  and posts are larger and heavier and the reels are about the same size but the 349/349H reels are much heavier. 

Jason,
Aluminum spools were made but a bit hard to find and run around $80.00.  I have aluminum spools, Penn and Newell Jigmaster 501 crossbars,  SS 113H gearsleeves  and both 7 and 9 dragwasher sets on the ones I fish.

https://berinsontackle.com/product/newell-spool-for-penn-master-mariner-349-reels-pre-owned/

Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

I see a few newell spools on eBay but they all look to be the "wide" version.

Got a spare one you wanna sell? I can sweeten the deal with more of that green sauce.