Built Surfmaster 100 target range

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 27, 2023, 01:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

Jason , farmer56 here , now that i not only tried to hyjack but also now will tell you trivial info that will help you ZERO ,, my favorite reel is the 100 followed by the Penn 180 ... lite in the hand ,,  brass bushings help with backlashes . Just the right capacity with 50 lb. Jerry Brown line for trolling Mn. waters for big Northern Pike . I have never wanted more drag either ...  sorry for side track ..Dennis  retired ex-farmer

Keta

Sidetracking is usualy not a issue here.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

So I decided to make frame bars for this guy. I spent 2 hours on one bar. Probably not worth the effort. But i did it. I started with a brass 505 bar and cut it down. Yes it would be easier to start with a 506 bar but i have zero of those and about 20 505 bars so that was an easy choice. After cutting I drilled and tapped the side i cut. That was a pain. But im happy with the result. However given how long it took I'm not excited about doing the other side. Anyone ever hear of a reel only having one bar?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Quote from: thorhammer on August 30, 2023, 07:53:59 PMSuggestion- I take out the stock clamp assembly and keep it intact, and install SS screws with nylocs on the stand cut to correct length as a stud using that OEM strap clamp, then and use SS acorn nuts on the clamp. Much lower profile that doesn't hang on stuff and all available at hardware bigbox. I think I use 10-24 scews  / nuts. Alternatively, cut screws as is, and use Penn torque clamp and capture nuts- the aluminum clamp is half the price of the graphite one and slotted to fit about everything.

Another side-track: John could you possibly post a picture of your clamp arrangement. Can't get a visual in my minds eye, but it sounds cool.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Finest Kind

That came out great. I have thought of doing it, but I don't trust myself to get the holes perfect. If you do make another, make a little dimple for the take down screw or it will be a bit proud.

Porthos

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 27, 2023, 01:00:55 PMSay i take a surfmaster 100, give it steel gears, steel sleeve, 5 stack, an aluminum spool, and aluminum crossbars (to be ordered from PC).

What's a good target range for that? I figured I'd load it with 30# braid. I dont think it'll handle much heavier than that.

I currently possess all but the spool and frame bars. 

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,26074.msg295284.html#msg295284

Posts #1 & #10.

40lb...12lbs max drag. Fished as such for over 10 years.

YMMV...

thorhammer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 31, 2023, 03:27:30 AMSo I decided to make frame bars for this guy. I spent 2 hours on one bar. Probably not worth the effort. But i did it. I started with a brass 505 bar and cut it down. Yes it would be easier to start with a 506 bar but i have zero of those and about 20 505 bars so that was an easy choice. After cutting I drilled and tapped the side i cut. That was a pain. But im happy with the result. However given how long it took I'm not excited about doing the other side. Anyone ever hear of a reel only having one bar?

That turned out great but stop kidding yourself, the first time you take it fishing, you'll pack up in ten minutes to go spend the time putting the other bar in proper. Takes one to know one.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Gfish on August 31, 2023, 04:56:15 AM
Quote from: thorhammer on August 30, 2023, 07:53:59 PMSuggestion- I take out the stock clamp assembly and keep it intact, and install SS screws with nylocs on the stand cut to correct length as a stud using that OEM strap clamp, then and use SS acorn nuts on the clamp. Much lower profile that doesn't hang on stuff and all available at hardware bigbox. I think I use 10-24 scews  / nuts. Alternatively, cut screws as is, and use Penn torque clamp and capture nuts- the aluminum clamp is half the price of the graphite one and slotted to fit about everything.

Another side-track: John could you possibly post a picture of your clamp arrangement. Can't get a visual in my minds eye, but it sounds cool.
I think this is what he is suggesting? I did not have to cut the studs, and already had acorn nuts.

Keta

I rarely clamp this size reel but every reel larger.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on August 31, 2023, 01:11:30 PMI rarely clamp this size reel but every reel larger.

x2

Im actually took all the clamp studs, screws, etc out from the reelseat base.

I also only use clamps on reels 4/0 size and larger, except from my Mak15 which is the size of a jigmaster but lot more stronger

that reel is looking good Jason, you should go for the 2nd DIY bar
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

I failed to mention i drilled about 3/8" into my right index finger with a very tiny drill bit by doing something i already knew better than to do. Tonight is my last night to prep for my trip Saturday. I'll probably cut the next bar next week.

I will fish it with one bar and posts on the other side. We'll see how it goes.

thorhammer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 31, 2023, 12:50:34 PM
Quote from: Gfish on August 31, 2023, 04:56:15 AM

that's a nyloc (which is just fine) but yes that's the idea. I use nylocs against the stand because they won't vibrate loose like stock, and acorns with blue loctite on clamp itself.

I think this is what he is suggesting? I did not have to cut the studs, and already had acorn nuts.

JasonGotaProblem

I gotta say this Pro Challenger spool is a thing of beauty.

Also: ordered Tuesday installed Friday. Can't argue with an order turnaround like that.

Flat Top

JasonGotaProblem;

Your right it is a thing of beauty   way too nice to fish. You should send it to me for "safe keeping". ;D
Overkill....is way underrated.

JasonGotaProblem

I ended up reinstalling the posts. I made a new frame bar, and in trying to fine tune it I realized my cut wasnt as square as it looked. Which made me realize my original one also wasn't as square as it first looked.

I've now ruined 4 jigmaster frame bars (thankfully none were new all were quite scratched), only to decide that I'm gonna just order the PC frame bars next time i sell something.

Anyone wanna buy a 704Z spool? It worked out nicely last time.