Built Surfmaster 100 target range

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 27, 2023, 01:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfrat

I have a Penn Surfmaster 100 that have all original parts except new ht100s and I still use it today. I put 50# to 65# braid or 25# mono on mine. I often use it for casting lures in the surf for Stripers but I often caught Bluefish.  :o  :P
I love my Surfmaster reels.  ;D

MisterStinky

Quote from: Surfrat on October 21, 2023, 11:35:16 AMI have a Penn Surfmaster 100 that have all original parts except new ht100s and I still use it today. I put 50# to 65# braid or 25# mono on mine. I often use it for casting lures in the surf for Stripers but I often caught Bluefish.  :o  :P
I love my Surfmaster reels.  ;D

What's the lightest lure you can cast with it in a no wind situation?

JasonGotaProblem

I did finally get to throw a few casts. I'm a bit out of practice and was a bit to conservative with my thumb to prevent ratnests, but I was throwing 6oz about 70yds pretty comfortably, with definite room for improvement as I get less rusty.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

MisterStinky

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 21, 2023, 12:56:09 PMI did finally get to throw a few casts. I'm a bit out of practice and was a bit to conservative with my thumb to prevent ratnests, but I was throwing 6oz about 70yds pretty comfortably, with definite room for improvement as I get less rusty.

👍 Are you wanting to target snook with that weight on the end? I only ask because I think I read that you prefer to freeline or use splitshot. I was curious if you could cast a freelined shrimp far without backlashing.

I am being nosey because I fish for barramundi which are very similar to snook.. Ive just bought a squidder jr but havent had a chance to fish it yet (have a newborn at home and dont want to risk a divorce just yet ;)

oldmanjoe

I can not help my self So here I go  . Jason is trying to knock them out with a 6 0z sinker than scoop them up with a net ....        You two are in the same boat with new born babies , and a sever reel fetish , that risks the threat of divorce from your wives ...     MY kind of guys !!   

Ok back under my rock I go .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

MisterStinky

JasonGotaProblem

No I was just trying to see what the reel could do, and that's the ideal weight for the surf rod i had it on for testing. I do think there's a lower limit to the size of lure this spool can throw. When i get a chance I'll tie on a half oz sinker on a more appropriate rod and see what happens. My opportunities are limited. My creatively mischievous baby is 10 months now and she's a handful. My first was so calm and well behaved. This one's a cute little hurricane.

Barramundi looks so much like a snook it feels like a conspiracy to hide the fact that they're actually the same fish. They're also delicious.

Shellbelly

10 months already!  Think about something like an ink pad.  You could put both of your fingerprints on a rod blank and take it from there.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Surfrat

On my 7ft rod, I cast 3/4oz to 2oz. On my 9ft rod, I cast 2oz to 4oz. The lightest on my 7ft rod with no wind was 1/2oz and a float. I was using 30lb braid with mono backing. I have used the penn 100 on musky, pike, and largemouth bass on another 7ft rod. :fish

Cute baby girl, Jason!

oldmanjoe

:)  :)   That is a Hallmark picture rite there .    The adoring eyes ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

MisterStinky

@Jason She is beautiful, congratulations. I am interested in hearing how you go casting 1/2oz.

@Surfrat Wow thanks for that detailed reply. That gives me some hope. I want to use my 146 for casting as light as 1/2 to 3/4oz. I don't normally need to cast too far. I've always used an ambassadeur and was hoping for similar performance.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 21, 2023, 02:09:41 PMNo I was just trying to see what the reel could do, and that's the ideal weight for the surf rod i had it on for testing. I do think there's a lower limit to the size of lure this spool can throw. When i get a chance I'll tie on a half oz sinker on a more appropriate rod and see what happens. My opportunities are limited. My creatively mischievous baby is 10 months now and she's a handful. My first was so calm and well behaved. This one's a cute little hurricane.

Barramundi looks so much like a snook it feels like a conspiracy to hide the fact that they're actually the same fish. They're also delicious.
I really love that picture brother, it actually had me in tears!
My little girl, is no longer little, she's 20!
Enjoy the heck out of it while you can. Kids really do, grow up way too fast now!
Amazing, just how quickly time passes these days!

farmer56

farmer56 here, Jason you are one lucky family. she is just a sweetheart.

JasonGotaProblem

First fish for my 100. A 3' black tip. Fight was over in less than a minute. He was no match for the 5 stack.

Also first shark I'm keeping to eat. Brian says they're tasty. I cleaned him fast. We'll see.

Surfrat

Congratulations on your awesome catch! ;D  How did you caught it?