Built Surfmaster 100 target range

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 27, 2023, 01:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

JasonGotaProblem

So I cut the studs to size. Only reason I'm using a rod clamp on a reel this size is because it's on a trigger seat so it's not metal on both sides. And I have spares. Plus I tend to be an idiot and push things past their intended range. All in the name of science, of course. I moved the 50# braid to the new spool. I have a 20# flouro leader thats ready to get bumped up to 30# or higher the first time that it fails. But i wanna start light. The bite is hotter when the lines are thinner. Or something like that.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Flat Top

JasonGotaProblem; Coming along nicely and I am still interested in your line weights that you are using...so keep reporting on that if you will.

Where do you intend to fish that reel? I lived in Tampa and Lutz many years ago and fished Clearwater, the Gandy, etc, and heavy lines were not so much needed...pretty "clean" fishing. The only time I used heavy lines and steel leaders was for shark fishing. Up here 40 lb (braid with a 50 lb mono shock leader) sometimes much more is about the minimum that I use on the big rivers....nothing but riffraff....hard fishing....snags and breakoffs are the norm.

Speaking of trigger seats. I had never used a trigger seat until a few years ago when I started making my own attachments for the purpose. My old hands where having a heck of a time controlling the cast and the trigger attachment sure help that out a lot. Now I use nothing but.....
Overkill....is way underrated.

JasonGotaProblem

My immediate plan is to take it offshore (Atlantic side) tomorrow to target some snapper at the shallower depths of where this trip is going.

Longer term, i dunno. I've said in the past that no matter how small/light a setup is, regardless it's primary target, it's also a snook rig, and if it's not capable of that it's not worth using (my daiwa SS700, My shimano MLZ10 and bantam 100, all also a snook rig but more skill is required)). Now as my collection drifts toward larger stuff and I'm starting to go offshore, I have to revise that to everything doubles as either a snook rig or a grouper rig. Not that I couldn't use a 9/0 senator or an LT100 on a snook, but that moves away from the intent, which is to catch big fish on light tackle).

So I figure it'll see use inshore for live bait at times where I think a jigmaster would be overkill. It might go to the beach to target sharks and tarpon etc. I gotta try it out a bit to see where it fits in my Arsenal. 

Flat Top

JasonGotaProblem; Please report back in when your trip is done...this is very interesting to me.
Overkill....is way underrated.

thrasher

I love any reel based on a 30-49 stand and have the 100 146 501 506 49 in my arsenal. When I fish the Boynton inlet for snook I switch between the 100 and the 506, I gravitate towards the 506 more because of the higher gear ratio. The 100 with just the carbon fiber upgrade is solid and you have even better with the 5 stack so that's a very capable reel.

Quote from: Flat Top on September 08, 2023, 02:48:13 PMJasonGotaProblem; Please report back in when your trip is done...this is very interesting to me.
I second this! You're close to my neck of the woods

JasonGotaProblem

OhReely

Is this about the 704Z spool? Can you post pictures, tell me the price? I don't want to haggle, just want a good spool at a fair price.
Thx

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: OhReely on September 29, 2023, 03:50:50 PMIs this about the 704Z spool? Can you post pictures, tell me the price? I don't want to haggle, just want a good spool at a fair price.
Thx
Didn't wanna derail the thread which is why i suggested pm. No need to haggle. NIB spool $50. Last one got a free drag cap, suspect yours will too. I can post pics tonight if you want.

OhReely

Oh okay I understand. No pix needed, what you say is enough. I'll send PM with my address, you can give me payment details. Thank you.

JasonGotaProblem

As promised, that spool sale immediately caused a chain reaction that ended in me ordering that set of PC bars. Party on.

Finest Kind

I have been using a Surfmaster this season ( a 200 that I made into a 100). I think you will be happy with the reel. Simple and very rugged. I fish mine with 65 pound braid. Only down side is 3:1 retrieve. I like a counterbalanced Jigmaster 24-66 handle on mine after trying out a few different handles. You really want to be able to crank it fast when a fish runs toward you!

Surfrat

I learned something new again. Thank you! The Penn Surfmaster 100 is a nice alternative to the Squidder 146.  ;) I recently saw a hotrod Frankenstein 100. ::)  :al

JasonGotaProblem

I still havent gotten a chance to throw a cast on this fella yet. Life gets in the way. Maybe I'll put it on a surf rod and walk over to the lake this weekend.

It's just been so stormy lately. I forget that elsewhere in the country there's such thing as rain storms that aren't thunderstorms. Here if its raining you don't wanna hold a fishing rod.

MisterStinky

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 30, 2023, 01:20:48 PMI still havent gotten a chance to throw a cast on this fella yet. Life gets in the way. Maybe I'll put it on a surf rod and walk over to the lake this weekend.

It's just been so stormy lately. I forget that elsewhere in the country there's such thing as rain storms that aren't thunderstorms. Here if its raining you don't wanna hold a fishing rod.

Thats a great looking reel! Have you had a chance to cast it yet? Do you plan on fishing bait or artificials?