Schematics and parts for 220P?

Started by Lorcan, September 13, 2023, 01:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorcan

Hi all again.

Recently I came across a 220P. Built like a tank. A little scuffed up, but very smooth.

However, at some point the thing was clearly dropped on a hard surface and the handle assembly was slightly twisted and has a 2mm crack in the lever close the screw hole for the grip.

So...a question for Fred. Might it be possible to get a handle? I can't find schematics or parts lists for the P deluxe series but it looks similar to the spring-loaded handles on the skirted spool reels of about the same age...and there's a number that looks suspiciously like a part number stamped on the inside. 910 4870. A lucky hit on Google suggests it's the same part for a 1401.

Best,

Lorcan

foakes

Doing a lot of packing & shipping today, Lorcan —-

I'll see if I can dig one up sometime today.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lorcan

Thanks Fred.

However, you just might have noticed something in the picture above. It's not the lens. I think the reel took a big enough knock in the past to bend the stem such that the reel foot back. Mounted on a rod the reel at best points flat rather than being slightly tilted towards the first rod ring. Unless an new body can be had, I may just have a rather complete collection of spare parts😀

Cheers,

Lorcan

foakes

I have straightened out plenty of those, Lorcan —-

Works about 75% of the times without snapping.

You can try it in a wood-faced vise —- gentle, steady pressure.

Sometimes I just use a little heat with a propane torch and steady pressure.

That is a shame, because that is a rare and highly valuable reel.

The frame is unique —- as it is a hybrid between the old Finessa line —- the Champion line, and the '02 line.

There are no frames available.

You can try it yourself —-

Or, you can send it to me —- no guarantees, but I have done a few.  So your chances are 3 out of 4.

No charge if I can straighten it for you without breaking it (if I break it —- also, N/C!)

I would just charge you $15 for a crank, plus postage, and do a free service while it is on the bench.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lorcan

Thanks for the offer and advice Fred.

I suspect that the cost of shipping across and back would come to €40-50. I think I'll have a go at the stem myself starting with making a wooden jig to firmly hold the reel feet and stem top, applying some moderate heat and taking it from there. There's also a slight twist which will need working out. If that works, I'll contact you about the handle.

The reels may be rare but not so rare I don't see them popping up here of there (though 3* are way more common than 2* or 1* here). I'm curious to know what a real mint might be worth. Surely not the $500 some eejit paid the other day for a 110n in box.

Cheers,

Lorcan

Lorcan

Now this gets more interesting. The housing has a part number inside. 910 3026. The same part number is given for the 1401. Is it just possible there is one of these out there and that they really are one and the same? The 1401 is certainly more common.

foakes

That is good to know, Lorcan —-

The "P"s are rare over here in North America.  They were more common elsewhere in the world —- particularly Europe.

I would still give it a go and straighten the frame —- it is not hard to accomplish.

There should be frames available over in Europe —- and if not, I have one here —- 103026.

The "P" models were the 220P, 330P, 440P, and 550P.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Lorcan

Thanks again Fred.

I'll give it a go and take it easy. If it works, I'll go for the handle. If not perhaps for both handle and frame (price?) unless I trip over another cheap 220P or 1401 near here.

Oddly older Dam Quicks seem really quite rare here. I'm not sure any parts troves exist.

One little thing surprised me about this reel. The n series have hexagonal "asbestos" drag disks which are very dense and hard. I just looked inside the 220P spool and found a great hairy thing.

Shedding fibres. Health and Safety would have a field day.

The disk was dimpled on the back were pressed into the plastic of the spool and the drag isn't super smooth. Maybe a case for carbon fibre disks?

Cheers,

Lorcan

Cheers,

Lorcan

foakes

See what you can accomplish —- I know you will get it done properly, Lorcan —-

And I can back you up if there are needs.

Yeah, I get lots of requests for DQ parts from Europe.

I have provided many parts for even some of the DQ former employees & engineers over the years.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

sandbar

Here is the schematic, Lorcan.
I will scan the whole booklet as soon as possible.

-Steve

Lorcan

Many thanks for the schematic Steve. Looking forward in due course to the parts numbers if you have them. Might come in useful if I have to call on some Fred's hoard. L

sandbar

Lorcan
I have the entire booklet scanned and have straightened and cropped the first 10 pages. I had some urgent business to attend to. I should be back at it on Monday or Tuesday.
-Steve

Lorcan

Steve - thanks again, no hurry.

Fred - got there. Not having the luxury of even one workshop I improvised.

Built my own wood vice/jig from scrap with a Dremel.

Didn't apply heat. Very slow bend cold. Didn't take much. I was testing the waters to get a sense of stiffness/strength but got to the right place in a second. No indication of damage.

So I guess I'm up for that crank 9104870.

Nice weekend all.

Lorcan

foakes

Nice job, Lorcan!

Those frames generally have (1) cold Re-alignment in them.

Glad you got it done.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Lorcan

Thanks Fred. I was a bit nervous about cast aluminium. The net is awash with mostly noise if you don't know the detail of the metal in question. Next step the handle, and possibly a washer or two (not just for the 220P. PM? Have a nice weekend. Lorcan