Official Nov 11th Avenger full day trip

Started by pjstevko, September 15, 2023, 04:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

My bacon is excellent now I have time to do it.for Thanksgiving i have some bacon cured pork ribs in a dry cure. Once smoked they will be to die for.

pjstevko

Spent a little time today and picked out my jigs for the trip. Got weights from 120g through 300g.

Bill B

Wish we could make it, I have a fish processing bill to pay this month.  At what they are charging I won't be able to pay attention until next year 😩. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

I messaged Mike Oddo who works on the Starfire for an update on how deep the boats have been fishing and what's been working lately. Here's his response....

All boats are targeting the chilipeppers and salmon grouper...it's fairly deep around 385'-430'...the 2 hook shrimp flys are working well and the heavier  jig and a teaser has been working

Crab Pot

Is a Bocaccio Rockfish also known as the Salmon Grouper?

Never heard of a Salmon Grouper before.

Is a "teaser rig" the same as a trap rig?

I'm Obviously a Nor Cal Hard Head Fisherman and not familiar with some of these terms!

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

jlezama

You are correct, it is also named salmon grouper. They are fun to catch but had bad luck with them as they get a lot of worms and in my opinion the meat is mushy when steamed, great jackpot fish!

Quote from: Crab Pot on November 02, 2023, 11:44:32 PMIs a Bocaccio Rockfish also known as the Salmon Grouper?

I'm Obviously a Nor Cal Hard Head Fisherman and not familiar with some of these terms!

Steve

Crab Pot

Quote from: jlezama on November 02, 2023, 11:53:44 PMYou are correct, it is also named salmon grouper. They are fun to catch but had bad luck with them as they get a lot of worms and in my opinion the meat is mushy when steamed, great jackpot fish!

Quote from: Crab Pot on November 02, 2023, 11:44:32 PMIs a Bocaccio Rockfish also known as the Salmon Grouper?

Steve

Juan,

Bacaccio should NEVER be allowed in the Pool!

Having said that I won my last pool with a Bacaccio (also won the Big Ling pool with a 26'er (disclaimer: only two Lings were caught).

:d

pjstevko

Teaser rig is not the same as a trap rig.....

The teaser rig referenced in my post from Mike is basically a heavy jig with a treble on it with a Shrimp fly attached to the leader 3' above the jig.

Crab Pot

Quote from: pjstevko on November 03, 2023, 12:44:50 AMTeaser rig is not the same as a trap rig.....

The teaser rig referenced in my post from Mike is basically a heavy jig with a treble on it with a Shrimp fly attached to the leader 3' above the jig.

Got it.

The New two-hook Kalifornia Legal rig when using a shrimp fly rig and a jig as the weight.

Sounds like you remove the lower fly on pre-made commercial shrimp rigs, or do you tie your own?

If you tie your own how long is the leader from the fly to the main line?

Thanks,

Steve

jlezama

Quote from: Crab Pot on November 03, 2023, 02:25:32 AM
Quote from: pjstevko on November 03, 2023, 12:44:50 AMTeaser rig is not the same as a trap rig.....

Got it.

The New two-hook Kalifornia Legal rig when using a shrimp fly rig and a jig as the weight.

Sounds like you remove the lower fly on pre-made commercial shrimp rigs, or do you tie your own?

Thanks,

Steve
I usually do a foot or less
Juan

jlezama

Quote from: jlezama on November 03, 2023, 02:45:45 AM
Quote from: Crab Pot on November 03, 2023, 02:25:32 AM

Got it.

Thanks,

Steve
I usually do a foot or less
Juan
Also Alan and I will be I town since Friday afternoon, so if you are already around I can show and share some rigs with you
Juan

alantani

Out on the starfire today!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

El Pescador

It's Happenning Boyz!!!!!

Today is Double Chocolate Brownies Production Day.

Jennifer is hard at work wrapping each brownie for safekeeping.

See you all Tonight.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

pjstevko

Quote from: alantani on November 10, 2023, 03:18:34 PMOut on the starfire today!
Catch'm up gents! Looking forward to hearing how it went today

Swami805

Does the avenger have food or do we bring our own? The web site says they have a galley
Do what you can with that you have where you are