Official Nov 11th Avenger full day trip

Started by pjstevko, September 15, 2023, 04:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

True Ohana spirit making sure everyone went home with fish. I'm sorry I couldn't make the trip.  It's always a fun trip, food is always exceptional,  and always good company. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

I think everyone came away with plenty of fish.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Good times back at the clubhouse. PJ brought a killer tequila!

Swami805

Fun trip, a bit lumpy and breezy early on the 3 hour ride to the grounds but pretty nice after that. Nice grade of rock fish, not many dinks,looking forward to doing it again
Do what you can with that you have where you are

El Pescador

WHAT A FISHING TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG THANKS to PJ for putting this trip together, YOU SIR are getting REEL good at doing this, we have a motion at the next Board Meeting to elect YOU as our official Trip Organizer!!!!!   BUTT let's see.

I'll cut the chit chat, here are the photos:

3 boxes of Squid, NO better bait for Rockfish and Ling Cod than WHOLE COLD SHRIMP!

Here we are just starting out, I use the GAIA app on my phone for GPS info, it always works, just need clear skies.

It was a NO WAVE way, just easy-to-enjoy rollers.

The first fish on board were from Alan, and Alan always pulls up the first fish of the day.  It is REELY magical.

BUTT here is Juan with his first haul.

Then right next to Juan is me, my first fish of the Day, and ALAN photobombing me!!!!  I never knew Alan was so funny  :o

Then 2 fish on one jig, a great day fishing for all.

Ron Jones holding a Bocaccio I caught, this one fought all the way up.

Again, WHAT a day on the water...

This is as far north from Morro Bay as we traveled, NVR been to this remote section of the Central Coast, and by our results, we will get back again.  WELL WORTH the 3:20 hour travel time each way.

We're done, gear stowed, chugg'n back at 14 knots.

Burger time, one of the two deckhands is at the griddle, and burgers are being put together.

A meal for champions:  Cheese Burger and a cold Beer, if you can make it better please tell us how!!!!

And from Left to Right: PJ, Mike, Alan & Steve (Crab Pot)

Ron Jones, thank you for making the trip all the way from north Washington State - Ted was texting me his thoughts about your Aussie Hat  >:D

It's mid-November, and we have this weather.

Here is the ONE & ONLY Sheridan (Swami805) - a great guy to talk to.

Steve (Crab Pot) and Juan.  Steve, it was my pleasure to meet you & hear about your family.

Here is Morro Rock, the harbor is seconds away, and our slip is maybe 2 minutes.  WE ARE BACK.

Again, a killer trip, PJ great job on the planning.

And a BIG THANKS to Randy Pauly for the fatty belly piece of Blue Fin Tuna.  Enjoying it was like enjoying a cool piece of butter.  DOES anyone have a photo to post?????

TANKS all.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Crab Pot

Sorry for the Delay of Game in getting these photos posted but I just got home from a wonderful weekend with family and new family!

First off, PJ thank you for organizing this trip and teaching me the ways of an Acid Wrapped rod.

I also want to thank Ron "Chief", Juan, and Alan for picking me up at my hotel so my bride could get a couple hours of extra sleep.

It was great to finally put faces to names and I especially appreciate the warm welcome for a first timer, it was as if we were life long buddy's!

The weather was fabulous (subject to opinion, I can think of 8-10 people who would beg to differ) a little cold in the morning but by the end of the day I was wishing I brought shorts.

I just want to put this out here: Alan, Juan, and Chief are cheaters with those electric reels. Nothing but jealousy because I plan on being a cheater too on my next deep water trip.

I've never fished 500+ feet deep before, good thing my reels were 5.1 and 6.1, I had to change out reels due to tangles and losing a lot of line, but I adapted and overcame.

Never Ever been on a day trip that had a full galley, something our fleet up north needs to look into. As Wayne said to food was pretty darn good for a side gigging deckhand.

Did a little "Motel 6" fish processing as well, another first!

Great trip, I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

pjstevko

Pics.....

Crab Pot

PJ

Hope your friends didn't have any long lasting effects from being seasick.

I'm pretty sure the guy in black and the gal in red pulled some ribs.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Brewcrafter

Piedras Blancas is quite the run, but you have some quality reds to show for it. - john

El Pescador

The long fishing day was made well worth it when Dominick prepared this Asian-style steamed Rockfish for Linda and she asked me over for dinner!!!!

Gutted, Gilled, and scaled nice-sized Rockfish - In the steamer tray ready for 12 minutes on the stovetop.

DONE, platted and ready for the HOT OIL.

EVOO at the almost smoking point, with a few splashes of sesame oil added in.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ojI6R5USWeE?feature=shared 

The smell in the kitchen is heavenly.

Flat parsley & green onions added for looks & flavor.

It is dinner time!!!!!

Dominick knows his way around a kitchen, and the guy can cook!!!!

I took the head home to scrape out any remaining pieces of meat and had it the next night with steamed rice.

NOTHING goes to waste.  And very tasty too!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Swami805

On the way back the deckhand was splitting open the heads of a few of the bigger red snapper to collect the otoliths,apparently the fish use them for hearing and balance  Its also a way to figure out the age by counting the rings like you would in a tree.  Here's a pair from the red snapper and a small pile from White Sea bass  Kind of interesting and I guess some people make jewelry out of them
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Thanks for taking us along for the ride. I was day dreaming as I was reading and looking at the photos. Love them vermilions. I could pass on the Boccaccios though. Never liked them. Did I miss something?  Any lings caught?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the jackpot fish was a ling caught by a guy outside of our group.  there were a few others, all small.

sabaman1

JIM

pjstevko

Quote from: sabaman1 on November 18, 2023, 11:11:54 PM
Quote from: pjstevko on November 14, 2023, 04:51:48 AMPics.....
PJ, how did your Temple reef slow pitch outfit workout for you?

It worked well but I didn't get to give it any reel test....