SS Bridge Plate

Started by Squirmypug, March 06, 2012, 04:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirmypug

We have been talking in the post for the 16/0 and thought it would be better to have a post for this. I've been thinking about checking prices to get 1/8" 304SS cut and the gear sleeve pin made. We need to decide though which reel would we most want this SS bridge plate for. What price would you want to pay for it? Also how many would you want to buy. I don't want to make any money from these and want to keep the price down if possible. Any thoughts about this?
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Makule

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 06, 2012, 04:43:28 AM
gear sleeve pin

Are you referring to the shaft/post on the plate or the actual pin (about 3/32") that holds the sleeve to the shaft/post?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Squirmypug

I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

redsetta

G'day SP, I'd be keen on half a dozen for 113H 'Tank' projects.
Don't have a view on cost though.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Squirmypug

Thanks Redsetta, I was thinking the 113h would be main reel guys would want the bridge plate for. I will start checking on prices soon and let everyone know if it will be worth doing. I know that Alto would want the plate changed a little to cover the second dog, would anyone mind if they are all made to cover it?

redsetta

Suits me.
Cheers SP, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

BMITCH

I would take a couple for the 113H. If it would cover the additional spring, all the better.
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Squirmypug, you're getting me excited!
About the the new bridge being a little wider, we need to be careful. Unfortunately not all of Penn plates are exactly the same on the inside, tolerance is tight on some. I believe that if you trace the original plate with the pencil ( not sharp as a needle )and then leaving the pencil mark on the new bridge, it should do it. Just put a nice bevel on the edge. Thanks for your effort, we appreciate it. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Itmight be a good idea to test the new bridge before proceeding with the rest.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Squirmypug

Adding a little by tracing the old plate would be easy. I agree Sal, we would need to test fit so I may have to send the first to you to make sure it will work. Don't get too excited, I haven't even found a place to look at them yet. Any idea on the price for these? I would hate to find out you DIDN'T want to pay $50 each  ;D

Keta

I think if you add .065 to the plate over the second dog spring and no where else there will be enough clearance, bevel the edges like the factory bridge.  I've been trying to find a used 113H bridge to have the water cutter cut a few to play with.  My machinist friend is busy doing work for pay and dealing with a divorce/new girl friend so he can't make shafts for at least a month.  My "new" lathe needs a few more days clean up and a few hundred dollars in gears and tooling before I can make the shafts in my shop.

I have 4 113H reels apart and soaking right now, I'll put some clay on the edge of one of the bridges, put it in place and check the clearance today.  I'll post what I find.

Bridges will require machine work, water cutting, and welding. Material is not cheep now and my scrap pile hasn't got much more light gage SS. They will not be cheep to build....I wan't one!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

On the bridge and side plate I have there is about 1/8" of clearance (red line on left) most of the way but not around the gear sleeve (between the lower red lines).  If you make them 3/32" wider by the second dog or 3/8" wider it will work

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Squirmypug

Keta there are a few metal stores online that you can buy small amounts from, may be worth checking those out. The small solid bar for the post is cheap but the plate will cost a little more. Makule said that he could turn the posts on his lathe, if you can get your friend to make the plate we could make these very cheap. I don't know how many Makule could turn for us but that would get a few test pieces out anyway.

Keta

I have the new material, scrap and the drop barrel from when my brother closed down his Aviation Weld Repair Station and machine shop and have a few pieces of high grade SS I'm working with now.  I even have some titanium and inconel shaft but not much.   I can get full or cut SS sheets in town but it's mostly 308, 316 or lower. 

Mark Twain

Squirmypug

You shouldn't have told me all that, a titanium or iconel plate would be so much cooler than SS  ;D  I've never seen 308 ss plate, only 308l as tig filler. 304 or 316SS would both be good choices for this.303 would be easy to cut but it doesn't weld very well and I'm not sure how corrosion resistant it is.Anything that doesn't cost much would be good for the first few anyway, if the demand for them is high we can get better/matching stuff