Welcome to Baja my fishing playgrounds

Started by steelfish, September 25, 2023, 01:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

few weeks ago I went fishing to "Bay of los Angeles", Baja (BOLA) which is at the end of Baja (north) at the side of Cortez Sea few miles before the State of "Baja California Sur" begins, I have two goals for this trip, one was to take the family fishing for YT and grouper and the other was to try our luck and search for the Whale Shark, my 19yo daughter was on vacation time from the Med school and she wanted to swim with a Whale Shark on her summer vacations :o  ???  :-\ .
you can read a bit about whale shark on the Sea of Cortez here https://alantani.com/index.php?action=post;board=35.0

Well, long story short, there was no single hit or bite in our fishing lines for many hours, so we opted to use the rest of the boat time for the 2nd goal of the trip, eventho the prime time to spot them is on the hottest months of the year from july-Aug is really a hit or miss to see them everyday at anytime, they are not just waiting for you to show up, so, we searched for them for few hours until it was time to called it a day  :'(
we were just starting our way back to the harbor the captain yelled -- HERE THEY ARE !!  ^-^
So, we hit the jackpot there was not just one or two but three Whale sharks swimming calm and relaxed of the surface, they are biggest FISH on earth, its really amazing to see them swim to calm around the boat.
my Daughter got ready and waited for a time were we could approach to a whale shark that wasnt swimming that fast and she jumped outta the boat.
she looked happy and proud to be next to the majestic animals and swam with the shark for a moment until she tried to record it and she realized her waterproof camera somehow slipped from the belt on which it was "secured"/tied to her forearm, well, she spent few minutes more there until it was time to get back to the boat.
she was happy and sad at the same time (been there done that :P ) but even losing her expensive waterproof camera didnt erased a big smile from the rush of adrenaline courtesy of the whale sharks.
we spent some more time checking out another whale sharks that came to eat a big ball of sardines, in a moment we counted around 5 whale sharks in the same spot just Amazing time!
we called it a day and returned to safe port around 3pm.

this time came home with the ice cooler empty but with tons of histories to share.
yep, the fishing trip was great maybe for the next one we can catch a fish or two  ^-^  :fish

now few pictures

Now Im debt for a $700 waterproof camera because I was the one who help her to secure the camera lace to her forearm  :-[  :-X   

here is short video

thats all, until the next Baja Adventure

The Baja Guy

Crab Pot

Alejandro,

MED-School and Swims with Whale Sharks!

You got yourself a Rock Star of a Daughter!

Amazing special family memories right there.

You'll laugh about the camera someday.

(might take a week or two though)

Thanks for sharing,

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

steelfish

Quote from: Crab Pot on September 25, 2023, 02:18:46 AMYou'll laugh about the camera someday.
(might take a week or two though)
Steve

Steve, what it really hurts (my Ego) its what she asked me while we were driving back home (its a 4hrs trip from home), - Hey Dad !, from the HUNDREDS knots you said you knew how to tie, couldnt you had used just ONE that worked better?   8)  8)  yep, she's a RockStar   ;)

The Baja Guy

redsetta

What an amazing experience!
Congrats mate - a great day with family building lifelong memories.
Thanks for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Brendan

I love that place. Thanks for sharing.
Brendan

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cor

One of those not "so often" experiences you had, particularly nice because it also involved your family.

During many years of fishing I've seen many amazing things, but seldom involves the family.    Treasure it!
Cornelis

Swami805

Nice trip Alex, one of those experiences your family will never forget.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Alright Alex. Good pictures of the largest fish in the world, even though they weren't from an underwater camera. Like Crab Pot said; Med. school and swimming with Whale Sharks! My daughter would never do that.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Alex, that was a great adventure. You created lifetime memories. Congratulations to your daughter for being able to check off one line on the bucket list. Let us know when she graduates.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on September 25, 2023, 07:12:29 PMAlright Alex. Good pictures of the largest fish in the world, even though they weren't from an underwater camera. Like Crab Pot said; Med. school and swimming with Whale Sharks! My daughter would never do that.

well, this is the 2nd time we have seen the whale shark, 1st time was in 2021, I have some cool underwater videos of the shark when he was pretty close to the boat, the videos arent that amazing cuz it shows only the shark when he swam close by the boat we never chase him around, that time the persons of the boat next to us swam with the shark and it looked pretty fun and thats when my daughter put it on her bucket list to swim with a whale shark.

I will try to upload a short video to yourtube and share it later here too.
PS: I dont blame anyone thats not brave enough to swim with the whale shark because Im not that brave either  ;D
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on September 25, 2023, 08:57:10 PM.. Let us know when she graduates.  Dominick

still long run to that, she's in her 2nd year from 5 years career plus 2 more years in a hospital to be able to graduate as M.D. but you can count I will let you guys know  :d
The Baja Guy

sciaenops

JasonGotaProblem

That's awesome. My daughter would likely jump in and try to catch it. With her teeth. But shes a wild 9 month old baby. Maybe med school one day.

Good job.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.