Exactly 88 components

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 27, 2023, 03:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I've noticed a lot of reels, especially vintage reels, seem to have exactly 88 components, when every screw, washer, and spacer is counted.

The list includes many penn senators, some penn SS reels (my 750SS for example), my daiwa SS700 and SS1300, and several others that I've bothered to count parts on but didn't bother to commit to memory.

Is there any documentation on this being intentional? A piano has 88 keys, and there are 88 named constellations. So there's a part of me that thinks designers saw this as adding a degree of, for lack of better word, elegance.

Or is it all just some coincidence?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Bill B

To continue your theory white prison gangs have adopted "88" as part of their racist ideology.  I don't want to expand here but I will in a PM.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

philaroman

don't Asians consider 8's "lucky" the way we view 7's...  more so, even?
kick an 8 over on its side & it's infinity  ::)

Shellbelly

Oh, Man!!  Lots of miles can be covered in this discussion.  Interesting observation....and the fish is a symbol of....
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

:o  I gots this feeling that you must have sucked on a toosie pop today.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Swami805

Earnhardt jr car number. Wasn't there an Oldsmobile 88?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reeltyme

I feel 88 today, does that count?

Shellbelly

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

oldmanjoe

I have a 88 T Bird and now,It looks like a challenge to add more drags to my reels to get to that 88 count.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Finest Kind

Quote from: Shellbelly on September 27, 2023, 07:34:03 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on September 27, 2023, 06:24:30 PMWasn't there an Oldsmobile 88?
Rocket 88.  A Battleship. 

I had a 1966 Oldsmobile Rocket 88! 425 cu. inch "Ultra High Compression" engine. What a beast! Plus the 8 track sound system. Great memories!

Shellbelly

Quote from: Finest Kind on September 27, 2023, 08:53:58 PMI had a 1966 Oldsmobile Rocket 88!
Amazing!!  I had a '73 Delta 88 Royale 2-door.  Wore out a Dark Side Of The Moon 8 track tape in that car.  Spun a bearing going 110.  Dropped a rod and oil went everywhere.  That was that. 

This is too much fun!

Jason, you started this. ;D  Triggered everybody!  LMBO!!  Sorry, Man.  You might want to wrangle this back on the trail!  Or not.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: oldmanjoe on September 27, 2023, 07:48:55 PMI have a 88 T Bird and now,It looks like a challenge to add more drags to my reels to get to that 88 count.
Is that the five speed manual, turbo coupe, by any chance, Joe?
My buddies was slow off the line, he had the automatic lol!
I used to be able to fly, through them gears, like nothing lol!

JasonGotaProblem

It's ok. I derail far too many threads to be mad if mine goes sideways.

I was 2 in '88. I probably had some cool hot wheels cars. And I probably thought they were fast.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on September 28, 2023, 01:23:54 AM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on September 27, 2023, 07:48:55 PMI have a 88 T Bird and now,It looks like a challenge to add more drags to my reels to get to that 88 count.
Is that the five speed manual, turbo coupe, by any chance, Joe?
My buddies was slow off the line, he had the automatic lol!
I used to be able to fly, through them gears, like nothing lol!

I had 2 88 t birds , the blue one had 302 / 5 speed .  the black one 302 / 4 speed in line shifter

funhog

There's  pretty good Song a few years back titled "88 lines about 44 women" by NAILS
http://www.the-nails.com/88lines.html