Penn 49 super mariner

Started by Kolbein, October 05, 2023, 04:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

Bill just got in and grabbed the mail.. Your package was in it . I will mail out to Norway by the weekend . The P M that has  been going on since this started has me looking for  spare parts in my inventory that will be usefull for him.. I'm also looking for a squidder or jigmaster he could use that i don't need !!!! I think we need Penn across the POND , just like we like ABU . dennis out

Bill B

any updates on the 49 project?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

I priced new 49L rings, a set are more than a 49 is worth.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

I received a PM from Kolbein, the parts haven't l3ft the states yet.  At least they aren't lost in the mail  ;D

JasonGotaProblem

None of this is a criticism.

I wanted nothing to do with this, until I found out Farmer56 was gonna handle the international shipping portion. Shipping a box to Donnyboat in AUS was still fresh in my mind. It took me 5 months to get around to and get through the headache of adequately filling out the customs form to describe, list weight, and country of origin, for each of the 40+ individual items in the box. If he were paying me for this he'd probably be pretty crunchy about that delay, but i understand fully why mystic doesn't do international shipping anymore.

I fear when Farmer56 signed up for this, he didn't know what he'd agreed to, or how much work it would be.

It's not the least bit surprising that it's taking him a bit to process it all. Doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong. It's just a lot.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

We ship to our daughter in Canada often, the coustoms forms are a PIA but not that bad.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Old bakelite plates on Penn reels can swell-up, possibly contributing to ring breakage. The only way to preserve one like that might be to grind-down the plate. I have a 2/0 Senator like that and grinding worked but it will never be like new.
An interesting aspect on old Daiwa Sealine reels is that they have a 1-piece aluminum frame + head-plate and both parts have a steel ring which only functions to protect the edges. Maybe some "bling" too. On page 1, Reallytime's post seems to be correct on the function for Penn's.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Kolbein

Quote from: Gfish on December 02, 2023, 02:31:21 AMOld bakelite plates on Penn reels can swell-up, possibly contributing to ring breakage. The only way to preserve one like that might be to grind-down the plate. I have a 2/0 Senator like that and grinding worked but it will never be like new.
An interesting aspect on old Daiwa Sealine reels is that they have a 1-piece aluminum frame + head-plate and both parts have a steel ring which only functions to protect the edges. Maybe some "bling" too. On page 1, Reallytime's post seems to be correct on the function for Penn's.

Visualy they look ok without sweeling, but I probably should measure the thiknes around the whole plate?
Norwegian Noob

Gfish

When you get the unbroken rings, you'll know.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

I put a light coating of grease under the rings, it seems to help.

Mark Twain

Bill B

If the plates are swollen, use a flat file and gently file the edges of the plates until the rings easily fit. 

And Dennis I didnt mean to put you on blast.  Ive never done international shipping and figure its quite a PITA.  Bill

Keta

The tarif BS is a PIA, paperwork not so bad.

Mark Twain

mikeysm

The rings are very hard to get. Better to find a better reel to start with.

Mike

Shellbelly

Quote from: mikeysm on December 03, 2023, 05:11:40 PMThe rings are very hard to get. Better to find a better reel to start with.
Yep.  They show up from time to time, but are often priced as much as 75% of the price of a nice complete Mariner.  The last full set of decent rings I saw was 48 bucks plus shipping.  That's around the average price of a complete reel in decent shape.  Throw in the price of a nice 24-49 handle, and a 25.00 Mariner in fair shape just tripled in cost with replacing just rings and a handle.  Heck, the screws alone could run 15-20 bucks.  Proportionately, reel parts are crazy expensive. 

Now, it's a completely different mindset if that reel is going to put food in your freezer.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Keta

Price 348/349H parts, they are crazy high.

Mark Twain