Penn 49 super mariner

Started by Kolbein, October 05, 2023, 04:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolbein

Hi.
Today i got a package in the mail. A Penn 49 super mariner.  I knew from the pictures in the add it was not perfekt.. and it was not, but not superbad, i think i can make it look good.

But, the o-ring on both sides had cracks, and it is missing some screws. The screws i think wil be "easy" finding,  but the o-rings maybe not so easy.. howv important is it to have the rings "perfect" wil the cracked ones influence the performance?

Not opened it yet, so more questions wil probably come 😉😉

Best regards
Kolbein
Norwegian Noob

OhReely

The rings, posts and screws working together give the reel structural strength. A broken ring is the weak link in the chain. Think of them as you would a wheel which can support far more than it's own weight as long as the circle is unbroken.

Squidder Bidder

They're colloquially referred to here as "beauty rings" so I think their primary function is cosmetic. I think perhaps that they work to protect the sideplates from direct pressure at the point where they receive post and stand screws, distributing the pressure more evenly across the outside of the sideplate. I suppose it is possible if your rings are fully broken through that there could be more torsion/flex in the sideplate under heavy load.

I'm also not sure that the flat head screws connecting the sideplate to the stand in the first and last picture are OEM - it looks like it may have been a make-do replacement that could be the cause for the rings cracking in the first place. There are other guys on here that can zero in on that question definitively.

JasonGotaProblem

They tend to be called reinforcing rings in marketing materials. Now we all know there's nothing definitive about marketing. But yes they distribute the load at what would otherwise be a weak point.

I have rings available for these. But shipping is probably brutal.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Brewcrafter

Normally Keta would respond as he has a fondness for that series of reels, but I know he is currently out on the SOA trip.  The internals I believe are all standard Penn fare, the externals and cosmetics I am not sure about.  And f I recall correctly Kolbein you are international which tends to complicate getting even readily available parts from vendors.  But I second the remarks above about adding durability and a measure of strength.  I tend to see ring failures due to a few items:
Rampant corrosion (really obvious when that happens)
Gorilla maintenance (ring screws do not need to have a torque spec rivaling automotive tires)  Usually right around the screws where the ring metal is weakest.
Side plate swelling (really tough to see until you try and mount a new "out of the box" ring and it does not want to fit).
So - I would seriously begin to look at replacement of those items - that is the framework/structure/exoskeleton for all the mechanical parts of the reel. - john

Kolbein

Thanks for the excellent answers.  I must sau i like this forum 🙂🙂

@squidder bider. You could be right about the screws not beeing ome. St least i think someone at one point failed to see that it was two different screwes and used the wrong one at post/mount.  Something is not right with the placement 🙂

@jasongotaproblem Thanks for the offer 🙂 i have a feeling that I wil be in need of more parts,  Wien i open it up. And wil probably nerd to order up some from mysticparts. I have relatives in the us, so wil have it shipped to them, my stuff can piggyback something else when shipping for christmas etc🙂

@brewmaster. I wil keep look for your tips   i think that gorilla maintenace is in the ballpark. Two cracks ar directly at a screwhole. (Two other, are not).. i'll examine carefully when taking apart.. i just have to stsrt/finish an 85 first 🙂🙂

Again, thanks for the help 🙂🙂🙂

Best regards
Kolbein
Norwegian Noob

Surfrat

Hi. I have similar issue with my penn 49. I have one that the outer rings and one inner ring are cracked. I would suggest you buy a better penn 49 without the cracked rings and missing parts. Keep and use this penn 49 reel for parts. It will cost you more time and money to buy replacement parts.

Kolbein

Quote from: Surfrat on October 05, 2023, 07:26:52 PMHi. I have similar issue with my penn 49. I have one that the outer rings and one inner ring are cracked. I would suggest you buy a better penn 49 without the cracked rings and missing parts. Keep and use this penn 49 reel for parts. It will cost you more time and money to buy replacement parts.

That is not a bad idea🙂🙂
Norwegian Noob

Shellbelly

Regarding frame strength....maybe.  Look at 149, 249.  I risk a guess that these two models were put through similar duties as the 49.  Maybe they failed? I don't know, but plenty are still out there ready to go.

Many of us over here are sitting on parts for all the Mariners...except maybe for the OEM wide model.

If Mariners are plentiful and reasonable where you are, Surfrat is on point for your solutions.

Just out of curiosity, what would it cost to ship 5 lbs from Texas to your door?  Check on EBay for something light like that and let us know.  Who knows, it might not be too bad.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Squidder Bidder

With regard to the stand screws, I think that if the angle of the flat head screw that is not an OEM part does not match the bevel/chamfer of the screw recess, it could be the cause of the cracking of the ring(s). Also, the OEM stand screws tend to be just long enough to "bite" into the tapped ears of the stand screw but not longer so that you will not over-torque them and the screws will not be proud of the stand such that they might catch line as it comes off of the spool.

JasonGotaProblem

Brian you aren't wrong re: this application. The 49 was no stump digger. I'd like to think I was talking about the concept of the rings. They do a lot more on a 12/0 than they do on a 49
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

I am sending you a personal message that may help you.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 05, 2023, 10:03:37 PMI'd like to think I was talking about the concept of the rings.
No doubt about that in the big game trolling reels.  I never understood the rings vs no rings on the 49 & 149.  That's the thing I was getting at.  I've never been a wire liner so I can't speak to pros and cons of Deep Sea/Mariners with/without rings....or whether a broken ring is more than just that given the 149 & 249 were likely put to the same work as 49.

I leave 349 out because it's a different class of winch beast-ism.  Very likely unbreakable at work. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

OhReely

249 is for light duty, no drag, plastic spool
149 is like a narrow Longbeach, uses model 60 drag
49 is like a 4/0 class narrow, high speed trolling reel primarily intended for wire lining
349 is like a 6/0 class narrow, high speed trolling reel primarily intended for wire lining

The tall narrow spools allowed for letting out great lengths of wire line to control trolling depth. Disengaging the anti-reverse on the 49 and 349 allowed for backpeddling to fine tune depth. Other benefits of the tall spools were steadily increasing drag pressure as the fish went deeper into the spool and a change in leverage and retrieval speed from the bottom to the top of the spool. Easier to thumb the line also. They were purpose built reels for their time. High speed? For their time yes, compared to the Senator and Longbeach. I like to think of the 49 as a 4.5/0 and the 349 as a 5/0.

And yes, the rings are an integral part of the strength of these reels as well as protection for the edges of the side plates. The design of the head of the screws is also important to it's strength as is the diameter of the posts. If you don't believe me or don't like the looks of crusty old cracked outer rings just remove them. The relief for the screw heads is right there in the plates.

Kolbein

Quote from: Shellbelly on October 05, 2023, 08:56:08 PMJust out of curiosity, what would it cost to ship 5 lbs from Texas to your door?  Check on EBay for something light like that and let us know.  Who knows, it might not be too bad.

Fright comes in at between 35 to 50 USD. So doubling the cost of most reels 🙂 we do have a norwegian variant,  so i have a search there for penn reels 🙂 but things wil be slower than if ebay was local to me 😉😉
Norwegian Noob