Portable aerators

Started by Shellbelly, October 25, 2023, 02:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

I am looking to build a contraption that I can carry in the back of my 4runner to keep mullet alive.  In warmer months, they are plentiful.  The problem is I tend to be mobile as conditions change and I don't want to keep looking for bait holes and throwing a net in the surf all day....not because I'm old but my arms, shoulders, and back are protesting the net.

I've had the D-cell ones and they are disposable. 

I have 12VDC available in the back or I can use a battery.  I'm looking for some experience with reliable equipment that I can use for 5-10 gallons of salt water.  I'm thinking this could be a water pump or an air pump, or combination of both.

Yes, I have to figure out space management, sloshing, spillage, containment, actually being able to get bait in/out, cleaning etc.  That will be the fun part.  For now, I need advice about good equipment.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

I assume you're pretty cool with changing the water though as needed? A 5 gal bucket 2/3 full ain't so bad. Eliminating a need for filtration massively simplifies the game. I have a lot of luck with the bucket lid that comes with the d battery version you get at wallyworld. I run an aquarium bubbler when I bring bait home (shrimp or shiners never mullet they poop too much). I imagine any source of pressurized air would work.

I'm picturing a waterproof 12v air pump tubed to that. And you just refresh the water every time you change spots or every hour or two and you'll be fine. K.I.S.S. rule IMHO. A cooler full of frozen water bottles over tue summer to throw in when water is changed isn't a bad idea either.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

MisterStinky

Go for a round container if possible. Recirculating pump (12V bilge pump) spraying onto surface of the water aerates better than a bubbler in my experience. Don't overfill with bait. Keep the water cool with some frozen water bottles. I've been experimenting with inline filters of diatomaceous earth which I think helps..

MisterStinky

^As far as equipment Ive only used Rule bilge pumps and generic through-hull fittings

Shellbelly

Thanks, folks.  Since I use a net, the bait will vary in size.  A round container was mentioned....I've heard this is good for shad so they don't bunch up in the corners.  I won't be keeping live bait at home.

The beach where I fish can get pretty rough.  Deep ruts, loose sand, moguls, washouts.  Lots of bouncing and swerving.  I'll need to research plastic containers.... probably commercial food storage-type stuff with a lower and wider profile than a 5 gal bucket.   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

I would look at the 15 gallon pickle barrels with screw on top . bilge pump to circulate water with a venturi in a 90 fitting .  Down pipe to bottom and 90 fitting again so the water goes in a clockwise rotation !!

Another barrel that will work is the water kegs that construction workers leave lying around insulated also !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Brewcrafter

Maybe one of those insulated drink coolers seen strapped to the back of contractor/work trucks?  Clearly rugged, insulated, has a lid and also have a spigot that you might be able to remove like on most rectangular coolers to install a fitting if necessary? - john

JasonGotaProblem

That big orange drink cooler is actually pretty brilliant. Basically a 5 gallon, but insulated.

I'm fairly strong and don't even wanna lug around a 5gal if i can avoid it (though 2 is easier than one as everyone who's been a laborer already knows). So to me anything bigger is no longer all that portable.

Steve's idea is actually very interesting i need to look at that more. The other benefit is less water makes it harder for mullet to jump out. And dude I haven't seen you on for a while and we miss you.

And if you're refreshing the water frequently, and hosing your truck bed out at the end of the day, to me the sloshing is a minor concern. (Edit just re-read and saw you have a 4runner not a truck) I don't drive in nearly as rough of conditions most the time, but i also don't have a truck bed. So I take 2 shopping bags, and put one over the bucket from above, and one from below making sure it overlaps the first bucket. That's held to the side of my cargo area by a bungee. Knock on wood I've never had an issue with spillage, near accidents included, as long as the bags don't have holes.

Sorry for rambling.

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

pjstevko

Squidder Bidder

Frabill makes the "Magnum Bait Coolers" in different sizes which are insulated, have curved corners, and built-in aeration. IIRC, you can add alternative sources of power via a plug so you don't need to run by battery.

Cuttyhunker

Mr Stinky
The cooling is good, water retains the most oxygen at about 45F which is why seafood markets chill the tanks, also never any copper pipes as the copper is highly poisonous to lobsters, and other marine critters, so use all PVC tubing.  When we buy live bait in FL the plastic bag with the water and fish is topped of with pure oxygen for extended longevity on the way to the boat.
Keep the bag in the A/C cabin not the super hot trunk
Doomed from childhood

ExcessiveAngler

This is for sale about a 1 1/2 hrs from me, would cost more in gas/tolls, then it cost!
But I saw this bilge pump on clearance at West Marine, not too long ago. Not sure if it's still available at West Marine or not?
This is a neat little 12V, 20 gallon set up!

ExcessiveAngler

Somehow, the other picture didn't upload!

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

boon

If you're transporting it in a vehicle it needs a sealing lid, ideally a round screw lid with a gasket. Anything else will spill, and the salt will quickly do bad things to your vehicle.

Doing regular water changes will help keep your bait happy; also throw a couple of bottles filled with frozen seawater in the bottom; keeping the tank cool seems to make them slow down a bit.

As for an aerator, basically any low-flow submersible 12v marine pump will be fine. All you need is for the outflow to come out above the water's surface and it will pull oxygen in.