No drag on a Vintage TED WILLIAMS 535.38490 Sears Roebuck Casting Fishing Reel

Started by thehorseman@bellsouth.net, January 03, 2024, 04:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I have no interest in this whole category of reels. But this thread sure has been interesting
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

BTW, if you pay close attention to the posted video the guy tells you the approximate circa of when that style of reel was made. That can narrow down your ORCA Library schematic search quite a bit.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jtwill98

I don't know if this helps, but your reel appears to have been made by Shakespeare for Ted Williams and JC Higgins.  It looks similar to "Vintage Shakespeare Free Spool Sportcast #1982 Narrow Spool" on the auction site. 

According to an article on Shakespeare reel date codes, Models "QU" and "EJ"  somehow refers to the Shakespeare Reel Series Dating Formula which dates the reels to 1962 manufacture. 

There's also an article on this at ORCA that tends to agree. Have a look at Robyn Summerlin's reply, where he mentions the JC Higgins 535.39970 connection.

You should probably focus your search for schematic toward 1962 Shakespeare casting reels. 

I also agree with the others here that the star nut should move (CW) away from the reel and is simply stuck. Upon closer inspection, the threads for the star nut appear to be the opposite of the handle threads.  I don't see evidence of the threads being cross-threaded.  Maybe a few drops of some penetrating oil on the thread near the star nut will help.

We're all waiting on your success.  :d

Gfish

Don't know if this'll help but here's how the Shakes. 1796 handle/drag assembly looks. Video—-I'll have to work on uploading. Tap to enlarge.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thehorseman@bellsouth.net

Very thankful for all the responses but I'm afraid something happened inside both reels. Yes, both reels worked fine before I removed the handles. Guess I'm going in ! lol

Thank you for your time and disassembling your reel. But they are not close enough for any help. I'm afraid something has happened in the push button mechanism.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: thehorseman@bellsouth.net on January 09, 2024, 05:10:35 PMVery thankful for all the responses but I'm afraid something happened inside both reels. Yes, both reels worked fine before I removed the handles. Guess I'm going in ! lol
We be watching and waiting !!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Aw man, dude I feel really stupid(nothing new there), but I mixed up the part order, which I discovered upon trying to reassemble it. This part system is surprisingly complicated(for me). Just not used to this odd way of producing drag with a star system. This is the way it goes;

Aside from the handle nut, everything is loaded onto the left-hand-threaded unit that's on top of the cotton swab when assembled.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

UPDATE: Going to send my reels to the "expert" reel guy for help. Just can't get it my self. I'm sure he or I will post an update when we find out what happened.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

both stars are indeed jammed tight.  they are also left handed.  just needed a bigger hammer.

alantani

Fred or anyone else. Do you have any parts for a Sears reel? One is plain and one is the Ted Williams version.  Both pieces shown are damaged. 

alantani

i hand filed the ratchet and sharpened the dog.  the anti-reverse mechanism works ok now, but it is very fragile.  the design is very interesting.  the star has reverse threads. when you turn the star clockwise, it rises up and squeezes the drag washer just outside of the handle to increase the drag. 

it's a backwards, single drag system, much like the front disc brake of a car.  very clever.  oh, and it now has a greased carbon fiber drag washer. 

foakes

Hi Alan —-

All good here —- but do not have any parts for those.

It is a Shakes Trade reel made for Sears —- kind of a special reel with that free-spool button.

Figured I might have a donor reel to send you —- but looked through an old footlocker of about 200 old bait-casters —- and no luck.

Sorry...

Been installing an under sink water 5 stage R/O water filtration system this morning.  Was able to fit it in and keep the garbage disposal.  I hate plumbing —- but after drilling a hole in the granite countertop —- the rest proved fairly easy.

If I run across one of these reels —- I will let you know.

Donor on eBay might be the only ticket.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.