No drag on a Vintage TED WILLIAMS 535.38490 Sears Roebuck Casting Fishing Reel

Started by thehorseman@bellsouth.net, January 03, 2024, 04:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Don't know for sure, Alan —-

Something like this may work for the parts needed.

I would want to make sure though —- before spending nearly $40 with shipping & tax —- for an old reel that is missing some parts.

Even if the guy would take $20 for it —- and if it didn't work out —- It would be $$$ down the drain.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

Kind of a fun design.  The drag washer is outside of the reel handle.  The star pushes the handle out and the drag tightens!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oldmanjoe

It is hard to see now , but that may have buttress threads .  If you turn the star wheel around and try to thread it on , it will gall the threads .  The thread profile is not like the standard 60 degree thread , it is a 60 / 90 degree thread . 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_angle
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

alantani

alantani

oldmanjoe

Can you get a good picture of the star wheel threads .  They being stainless steel , they may show the profile .   The brass is pretty galled
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

alantani

crud, no. the reels are all boxed up and are ready to go out. the star turns easily, so i think we're good. 

thehorseman@bellsouth.net

Well , Mr ALAN TANI was able to fix both my reels and take the time to call me with what happened. This man is a tower of "reel" knowledge. You are my hero sir. Thank you especially and all the other members for your valuable input and knowledge. It's a blessing to know people like you all are in this group.
Again, many thanks
MGM

Bill B

If this group can't fix a problem, it's possible the problem never existed. Good job guys.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!