For All Kalifornia Boaters

Started by Crab Pot, January 13, 2024, 01:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Well the Brain Trust under the Dome in Sacramento figured out another way to separate us from our money.

If you own a boat and are 60 or younger, you'll need a Kalifornia Boater ID card.

Can't wait till I retire and get out of this state.

Steve

As of Jan. 1, 2024, a California Boater Card is required to be carried by motorized boat operators 60 years of age and younger. By 2025, all operators of motorized boats will be required to carry a California Boater Card, regardless of age. The California Boater Card is proof of successful completion of an approved boating safety course. The best part is, you can obtain your lifetime card for only $10 right now! To see the complete list of approved courses and obtain your California Boater Card, visit www.californiaboatercard.com today!
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Keta

Oregon has required these for over 20 years but they were free when I got mine.  I can't remember how much my BC one was.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crab Pot

I don't have an issue with the training but it shouldn't cost a penny.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Keta

Yup, lots of uneducated idiots on the water.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

How may idiots in Klownifornia have $10. This won't solve anything.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

It will expose them to the navigation rules, but look at the number of idiots on the roads.

Mark Twain

foakes

I took a Coast Guard course around 30+ years ago.

It covered safety, emergencies, navigation, weather, communication, laws, right of ways, markers, and required gear & equipment.  Think it was 6 or 10 weeks.

Passed a test —- and got a Coast Guard certification card.

Wife gets mad when we enter Wal-Mart or a grocery store —-

I just pull the card out of my wallet, flash it at the doors —- and they open automatically.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

The California law enacted to require boater cards actually specifies that the fees collected cannnot exceed the cost of the program.  Only the people who want to drive a boat have to pay:

From: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140SB941

678.3. (a) (1) The division shall determine the fees required under this section in amounts sufficient to cover the reasonable costs of the development, establishment, and operation of the program. The fees shall not exceed those costs.

(2) The division shall charge a fee not to exceed thirty dollars ($30) for the initial vessel operator card issued pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 678.

The other options not chosen would have been to have the majority of California taxpayers who are not recreational boaters fully subsidize the education of the few that are, or continue to let clueless knuckleheads drive boats around without any boating knowledge whatsoever.

Almost all states have a proof of boater education requirement, although many limit it to younger folk.

Best wishes on your out of state retirement. 

-J

oldmanjoe

Quote from: foakes on January 13, 2024, 06:21:51 AMI took a Coast Guard course around 30+ years ago.

It covered safety, emergencies, navigation, weather, communication, laws, right of ways, markers, and required gear & equipment.  Think it was 6 or 10 weeks.

I just pull the card out of my wallet, flash it at the doors —- and they open automatically.

Best, Fred
OK I feel a little fishy and will bite ..    Wife gets mad when we enter Wal-Mart or a grocery store —-

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Hardy Boy

My BC card was free. You only pay for the course here if you decide to take one. The card is good for life.

Todd
Todd

David Hall

had mine now for a number of years. I just thought taking a boater safety class was a good idea. I had already aged out, I didn't even need to take the course. I guarantee it will not make anyone more unsafe than they already are.  :d

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 13, 2024, 02:33:43 PM
Quote from: foakes on January 13, 2024, 06:21:51 AMI took a Coast Guard course around 30+ years ago.

Best, Fred
OK I feel a little fishy and will bite ..    Wife gets mad when we enter Wal-Mart or a grocery store —-

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out, too.  ???
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rancanfish

Oregon does require a class now. Online cost was like $60+ and took hours to complete. And you have to carry the card. 

Governmental fees are nothing more than disguised taxes, going up every year.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

Oregon does not miss a chance to get into our pockets.

Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 13, 2024, 05:48:00 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 13, 2024, 02:33:43 PM

Best, Fred

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out, too.  ???
Look at like with a boat operators card and $5.00 you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks. 

Mark Twain