113HL Right Side Plate

Started by Makule, March 11, 2012, 08:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Some of the side plates were made so that the drag stack could be accessed w/o taking the reel apart.  The hole that covers the main gear, sleeve, and brake stack was slightly larger.  Made servicing brakes much easier (but also made me less inclined to service the rest of the reel).

The question is whether the side plate with the smaller hole could have the hole enlarged so that it's like the other side plate with the large hole, and not present any problems.  I haven't looked carefully, but just thinking about it seems like it would be a simple modification.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Squirmypug

I'm not sure I only own the reels with the big hole. Seems like it would be easy to do but when you use greased ht100s you shouldn't need to service the drag often.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Alto Mare

I wouldn't mess with it, you could end up with no plate. Check out the picture that I posted for you by the reel/tank section, it will show you what you will need for the top of your drag stack with different plates. If you need to have an easy access plate, you should be able to find a used one for around $15, but you should always take the reel apart when servicing. I believe that the easy access design was introduced for guys that were afraid of cracking one open. Don't get lazy Albert, it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to service one...if the wife stays away ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mizmo67

I second not trying to carve out the hole in the plate - the molded poly will most likely crack under the pressure.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Keta

I've been thinking the same thing.  It looks like it can be opened up using a small drum sander on a drill press or Dremel.  If you have a side plate that is no longer usable test on it, sideplates are not cheep.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

seaeagle2

You might be able to trade some one plate for plate, personally, I'm not a big fan of the ones with the big hole, I'm not sure if I've got one with the big hole or if I got rid of them. (my wife has a 6 reel rule so I sell one or two on ebay once I get to six)
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Makule

Quote from: seaeagle2 on March 11, 2012, 03:55:35 PM
You might be able to trade some one plate for plate, personally, I'm not a big fan of the ones with the big hole, I'm not sure if I've got one with the big hole or if I got rid of them. (my wife has a 6 reel rule so I sell one or two on ebay once I get to six)

Why do you not like the big hole?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 11, 2012, 10:45:12 AM
I wouldn't mess with it, you could end up with no plate. Check out the picture that I posted for you by the reel/tank section, it will show you what you will need for the top of your drag stack with different plates. If you need to have an easy access plate, you should be able to find a used one for around $15, but you should always take the reel apart when servicing. I believe that the easy access design was introduced for guys that were afraid of cracking one open. Don't get lazy Albert, it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to service one...if the wife stays away ;).

My wife is great and never interrupts when I'm fussing with the reels.  Maybe she should so I take a break sometimes.

Of course, Sal, you are correct about taking the reel apart when servicing the brakes (good to check the rest at the same time).  It's just those dang straight slot screws that I really don't like.  I'm gonna change them all to torx.

Actually, the reason for my asking about enlarging the hole is because: 1) Most of my reels have the small hole; 2) My thinking is that if it can be enlarged, then it might also be possible to get a higher gear, sleeve, and post so that at least one more washer can be put in.

seaeagle2

Quote from: Makule on March 11, 2012, 08:40:47 PM

I'm probably just too dumb to know any better, but all the reels I've picked up off ebay with the big hole had the steel gear with the notch that doesn't go all the way down so the 5 stack ht100 drags won't fit, plus to me it just seems like a way to let a bunch of extra water into the reel. But to tell you the truth, I haven't actually fished any of my 113h's yet, because I'm going to use them for Halibut and the season doesn't open til 5/3.  I used to use 320 gt's but I decided to use 113h's and put the 320's on my salmon rods.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Alto Mare

Quote from: Makule on March 11, 2012, 08:46:53 PM
Actually, the reason for my asking about enlarging the hole is because: 1) Most of my reels have the small hole; 2) My thinking is that if it can be enlarged, then it might also be possible to get a higher gear, sleeve, and post so that at least one more washer can be put in.
[/quote]

Albert, another washer won't help increase your drag it would work more as a spacer. the gear doesn't have enough hight for another eared washer. I believe that the reel/tank is balanced nicely and can be fished at around 20lb as is, any other changes could work against you. As I mentioned to you earlier, if you need more drag, get yourself a 114H narrow. This reel could handle close to 30lb...with our upgrades and is just a little heavier.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: seaeagle2 on March 12, 2012, 12:55:49 AM
Quote from: Makule on March 11, 2012, 08:40:47 PM

I'm probably just too dumb to know any better, but all the reels I've picked up off ebay with the big hole had the steel gear with the notch that doesn't go all the way down so the 5 stack ht100 drags won't fit, plus to me it just seems like a way to let a bunch of extra water into the reel. But to tell you the truth, I haven't actually fished any of my 113h's yet, because I'm going to use them for Halibut and the season doesn't open til 5/3.  I used to use 320 gt's but I decided to use 113h's and put the 320's on my salmon rods.

Seaeagle, you might be getting rid of stainless steel gears, I would hold on to those. About the 5 stack, you should not be having any problems installing it. You're right, the notch doesn't go all the way down, but that won't stop you. When you install the first carbon fiber washer followed by the first keyed metal washer, those two washers will bring you to the notch, giving you room to proceed with the 5 drag stack.

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 12, 2012, 01:33:42 AM
Quote from: Makule on March 11, 2012, 08:46:53 PM

Albert, another washer won't help increase your drag it would work more as a spacer. the gear doesn't have enough hight for another eared washer. I believe that the reel/tank is balanced nicely and can be fished at around 20lb as is, any other changes could work against you. As I mentioned to you earlier, if you need more drag, get yourself a 114H narrow. This reel could handle close to 30lb...with our upgrades and is just a little heavier.
[/quote]

Yes, I realize the gear is not high enough, which is why I suggested higher gear, sleeves, and post.  This must all be made, so the question really amounted to whether it was worth so much extra work.  Trying to think of how to make "Super Tank".

Makule

Did a little searching and it seems like the 114H narrow is not a Penn product, but an aftermarket modification.  Am I mistaken?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Makule on March 12, 2012, 02:17:39 AM
Did a little searching and it seems like the 114H narrow is not a Penn product, but an aftermarket modification.  Am I mistaken?
Most of the modifications are aftermarket, but would not be possible without our trusty Penn reels as a footprint.

day0ne

One other thing to think about. The last, big thick washer that goes with the big hole reels is no longer available. In fact, I can't find any part info or schematic on those reels. That washer helped somewhat seal the hole. The last reel like that I modified even had a rubber gasket that went around the last washer to cover the hole. The newer washer and spacer would leave the drag exposed
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter